SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rep support

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Rep support Reply with quote

Okay, since no one else has asked, I suppose it's up to me.

Once upon a time I was a very active demonstrator (Dragon Diceā„¢, not rain forests), back in the early days of SFR. At least once a week I met at the local game club and tried to hook at least a few new players to the game. For my efforts I received opened starters which were presented to those who tried the game, and a bag of medallions and blue DKC to distribute when the starters ran out. I was also complimented for being one of the most active reps, something I was quite proud of. I could only rave about what great support SFR was providing.

So what happened? Silence. I ran out of product, and people who knew I gave out the 'freebies' weren't interested unless they got one. I handed out a few of my own dice just to score a few demo games, but eventually ran through my extras. I quit doing demos. Repeated inquiries to SFR for assistance received no response.

End result? I had to quit doing demos. I later formed my own gaming group, and have managed to hook a few of them onto the game (just ask Steve, we bought all of his extra starter bags).

So my questions are, will the "NEW" SFR do better than the old? Is there anything left to use as 'freebies' for potential new players? Should I even bother demoing the game again? If the rep program gets jump-started again, will those who do an honest job raising DD awareness be recognized or rewarded for their efforts?

I really want to see DD succeed, and want to help with this, but I want to see support for the game before I stick my neck out again or waste my time.

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to say yes right now. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where SFR is at in terms of, well, most everything. Crying or Very sad

Scott Cobbs was running the Rep program, but as he's stated elsewhere on the forums, he's too busy to do it right now. So the short answer is we need someone to run the Rep program. As for support (i.e. dice to hand out), I don't have a clear picture yet on what SFR has. I will have an answer by mid-March. I hope to have a complete answer by the end of March. Is that good enough for now?
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Is that good enough for now?

That's more of an answer than I ever got before, Chuck. Thanks. I'm looking forward to the rep program getting going again.

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
Thanks for the post. You are correct in the failure of the rep program was because of lack of communication. Partly my fault, but in large a failure of web servers and business plans.

Your experience with demoing Dragon Diceā„¢ has been a resounding repeat of every rep I had. The main problem is that the dice were not sitting on the shelves of the stores. This has been the largest problem for the game.
You need that impulse buy. A person does a demo and loves the game, they want to buy dice right then. However the store doesn't carry the dice.

The answer is not to give away product. If that happens the players you demo with just keep coming back for handouts. We figured that out early on and quickly decided to not give freebie handouts anymore. I truly believe that it was a good decision.

The main problem currently is that there is a limited supply of starters available, thus even if SFR wanted to give starters out it would be very difficult.

This is an issue that should be dealt with as a company.

Also, Chuck is correct in the fact that I do not have enough time to be head of the rep program again.

At its height I had approx. 60 reps and I would get about 50 e-mails per day. So, it is a hand full but necessary for the game.

So, when a new rep program is designed,
who is up for taking control of it?

Any volunteers?

Scott C

chuckpint wrote:
I'd love to say yes right now. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where SFR is at in terms of, well, most everything. Crying or Very sad

Scott Cobbs was running the Rep program, but as he's stated elsewhere on the forums, he's too busy to do it right now. So the short answer is we need someone to run the Rep program. As for support (i.e. dice to hand out), I don't have a clear picture yet on what SFR has. I will have an answer by mid-March. I hope to have a complete answer by the end of March. Is that good enough for now?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

slcobbs wrote:

Any volunteers?

Twisted Evil
Based on my previous experience in this area, this should come as no surprise.

I agree that a rep program is not really going to 'take off' until we get starters back into the store and it needs to be very well defined.

Cliff
anset
dragonsteed
Rep

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

slcobbs wrote:

Any volunteers?

If you want to start a group in western-europe, call me. Smile

Anset
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Rep program... revisited Reply with quote

slcobbs wrote:
Your experience with demoing Dragon Diceā„¢ has been a resounding repeat of every rep I had. The main problem is that the dice were not sitting on the shelves of the stores. This has been the largest problem for the game.

Okay, granted. However, most of the time I was not demoing at gaming stores for that very reason. They didn't carry it, so why have a demo for it? The one store that did allow me in had four cases of M & A in the back room, and after 2 demos over two weeks, they sold it out. So obviously the market is there. What I did was make up cards (about biz size), with the website address and instructions on how to order. Granted, I also sent a few to Chuck's site for singles as well. Whether or not they ordered I don't know, but I can't imagine nothing came of my efforts at the time.

Quote:
The answer is not to give away product. If that happens the players you demo with just keep coming back for handouts. We figured that out early on and quickly decided to not give freebie handouts anymore. I truly believe that it was a good decision.

True, but sometimes just knowing that you can get a little something for your time is a big draw. I see it all the time at Cons. Heck, at Origins 2002 I came home with a box full of freebie stuff. Sure, I had to sit and play a game I wasn't all that interested in, but what the heck? It didn't take that much of my time. I do demos now for AEG, and all they give away is a couple of promo cards and my table is always busy. Sure, they're a huge company, but they got that way with an aggressive demo program. Now I don't pretend to know what stock SFR has left, but even offering a single blue DKC or a medallion would probably be enough. Or better yet, a discount code they can use when purchasing dice from the website. "Thanks for playing a demo game, here's 5-10% off your first order, or free shipping!"

Quote:
This is an issue that should be dealt with as a company.

Does that mean I should shut up and go back to my corner? Wink

Quote:
Any volunteers?

Are you accepting applications, or should I fax my resume? Laughing

I'm not trying to be argumentative, guys. Just making suggestions and hoping maybe I can contribute the smallest bit, since my last offer 3 years ago was rather brusquely rejected. I'm trying to be upbeat and think positively, whereas before I had reached the point that I was just about to put my entire collection up for sale on eBay.

Okay, I've had my say. I'll let it drop. Let me know when the reps can get busy again.

Cheers!

chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:35 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I can see that you want to do something, but are fustratated that you can't right now. All I'm asking is for you to wait a couple months, until we have a new Board of Directors (BoD) in place. Then the BoD will be happy to start taking applications or whatever. Right now all that is really running is the website, getting ready for the two major conventions this summer (I'm taking care of that), and getting orders out (Cliff). Everything else is on hold until the BoD can run it.
riolis
common
Rep

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:51 pm GMT    Post subject: I'm doing a demo this weekend Reply with quote

This weekend I have cleared it with a local game shop owner to come in and run a afternoon of demos. I have desided to use the single race starter consept for the demo, I'll be using my dice. If all goes well It looks like a good chance to get DD out to Vegas. Cool I hope it works, no I know it will work out the owner use to play DD.
Mr. Green Fan Club Member Mr. Green
http://dragondice.ryanssaunders.com/
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: I'm doing a demo this weekend Reply with quote

riolis wrote:
This weekend I have cleared it with a local game shop owner to come in and run a afternoon of demos. I have desided to use the single race starter consept for the demo, I'll be using my dice. If all goes well It looks like a good chance to get DD out to Vegas. Cool I hope it works, no I know it will work out the owner use to play DD.

When you run the demo, let us know how it goes.

Scott C
riolis
common
Rep

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to as soon as I get home Very Happy I really looking forward to getting the game back out there.
MissTiffany
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:22 am GMT    Post subject: Rep Program Reply with quote

Hello all! My name is Tiffany Wiggs and I have been appointed the head of the SFR Rep Program.

A little background information on myself: I am married to Cliff Wiggs (a name I am sure you know) I was the head of the Rep program for Aliens Predator CCG for many years. Another wonderful game which died when the owners stopped supporting it. I am the mother of 3 children (9,almost 7 and 2) with one on the way (August). I am 29 years old. I do play Dragon Diceā„¢ occasionally.

I would love for the Rep program to just jump into action but life has a way of intruding on the best laid plans. We are in the process of putting our house on the market so that will slow me down some. I am currently accepting applications for Reps from all over the world. I am also in negotiations with the BoD for some sort of reward program for the Reps.

This is basically how I see the Rep program running: You the Rep will demo X number of people at your local gaming store or location of your choice (I have had Reps demo at the local police station so anything goes) Usually games stores are your best bet but keep an eye out for a likely location. When you are performing your demo you will have each person sign a form for you. I just need name and signature if you want to get email or phone to contact them for further games that is up to you. Then you will fax, email or regular mail that form to me. Each new person you demo for will count as a point. I am hoping you will be able to add those points up and get something in return for them. You cannot however demo the same 4 guys each time and get points for that. We do expect a certain amount of honesty on the part of the Reps. Having your 4 best friends sign different names each time is very frowned upon. I am also hoping to provide you will tournament prizes. There has also been the question asked about if you get your store to start carrying Dragon Diceā„¢ some kind of reward for that as well.

As we start I will only allow one Rep per city. If at a later date we find a city can easily support another Rep then we will decide that at a case by case basis.

Please send me your application today! The information I need from you is:

Name
Address
Phone
Email

Names of stores you can demo at:
How long you have been playing Dragon Diceā„¢
Why you think you would make a good Rep for your area

Email me using the button below (Email)

Thank you! I am hoping this program is a great success
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Riolas. That kind of initative is what we need.
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Rep Program Reply with quote

MissTiffany wrote:

Does this include those of us who are already established on the SFR Reps list?

cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Rep Program Reply with quote

Majiken wrote:
MissTiffany wrote:

Does this include those of us who are already established on the SFR Reps list?

I would say yes. There is going to be an email going out to them to see if they are still alive, but you can beat the process by just emailing first.
goldbh
common

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Tiffeny,
May I ask you and perhaps the other (olde hands), how much time it takes to be a Rep?
And more important: To be an Effiicent Rep.

Pete - UK
riolis
common
Rep

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Great NEWS Reply with quote

I just got back from my first rounds of demos and it went GREAT!!! true i was only able to get three games in but all three really liked DD and would love to see there shop carry it.
So if you would like to get in touch with them:

Dark Tower Comics

One down lots more to go. Cool
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Great NEWS Reply with quote

riolis wrote:
I just got back from my first rounds of demos and it went GREAT!!! true i was only able to get three games in but all three really liked DD and would love to see there shop carry it.
So if you would like to get in touch with them:

Dark Tower Comics

One down lots more to go. Cool

That sounds great! Keep it rolling. Inform the store manager that retailers can currently buy Dragon Diceā„¢ from SFR directly at normal distributor prices. Then, make sure to have the people ask the store owner if he can get Dragon Diceā„¢ for them.

Scott C
MissTiffany
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldbh wrote:
Miss Tiffeny,
May I ask you and perhaps the other (olde hands), how much time it takes to be a Rep?
And more important: To be an Effiicent Rep.

Pete - UK

Ok. I understand you have a life out side of Dragon Diceā„¢ but I would say a good Rep would do 3-4 seperate demos (to different people) a month at least. A Super Rep would do more.

Now if you can do 2-3 completely different groups in one day that would make it easy to be a Super Rep. What I mean by this (Cliff said to clarify) is that if you can spend a day in a Game store that had a pretty decent crowd coming and going you can do a demo every couple hours if there are more than just 2 of you sitting at the table playing (you and at least 2 others) that is a demo. Wait an hour or two (play DD or another game) then grab a couple other folks for another demo.

If everyone reports that this guideline is way to hard or way to easy we will of course adjust accordingly. Laughing

Miss Tiffany
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> SFR Operations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: