SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New website design

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:47 am GMT    Post subject: New website design Reply with quote

Ok, the website just is not our best face to show the world. We really need an updated website. I'd like to hear from our forum members: What do we want on the website. How should it be organized. What and how much graphics do we want. Etc... Please be as specific as possible.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 pm GMT    Post subject: New Website Design Reply with quote

My concept of how the SFR website should look includes:

MAIN WEBSITE: Background display of some Dragon Dice™, perhaps with some shadowy images of some of the races fighting. Website should describe what SFR is and what they have to offer. The Main Website should have access folders or links to:

Catalogue or Product Page
Downloads
Forums
Background and/or “Histories”
Rules
Strategies
What’s New
Who’s Who
Links to related sites

CATALOGUE/PRODUCT PAGE should contain:
Product listing
Pricing and Shipping Schedule
Special Deals/Offers, Discount Offers/qualifiers
Links relating to other products (Cafepress)

DOWNLOADS should include:
Dragon Dice™ Novice Rules
Dragon Dice™ Intermediate Rules
Dragon Dice™ Tournament Rules
Any Official Rules for other games that use Dragon Dice™
Cliff’s “play-mats” for each race (really useful for the novice, but still useful for others)
Dragon Dice™ Scenarios
Official Event Rules
Other play-aids
Complete list of dice for collectors

FORUMS would be what you have now.

STRATEGIES would include:
Dragon Dice™ game strategies
Racial Strategies for Dragon Dice™
Strategies for other gaming systems that use Dragon Dice™ (like Dragon Dice™ Duels)

BACKGROUND / “HISTORIES” should include:
“Official” background or “history” of Esfah and the races that live and fight over it.
Individual Race Histories
Short Stories
“Historical Scenarios”

RULES should include a link to DOWNLOADS, but also include:
Dragon Dice™ Novice Rules
Dragon Dice™ Intermediate Rules
Dragon Dice™ Tournament Rules
Any Official Rules for other games that use Dragon Dice™
Cliff’s “play-mats” for each race (really useful for the novice, but still useful for others)
Official Dragon Dice™ Scenarios
Official Dragon Dice™ Event Rules

WHO’s WHO should include the “Main Contacts” for the company (marketing/sales, website management, rules, event coordinator)

That's my initial thoughts of what it should cover.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main comment is that we have a server running PHP, lets make use of it.

There is a database on that same server which contains information to 'build' each die in the game and links to the same images being used for online games.

let's make use of that and make this whole thing dynamic.

Thus we have one PHP page for races and the specific differences (dice and description) are just stored in a database.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want any of those 3d spinning dice or anything else that people might want, but just don't know how to do it...let me know.

I tend to overload input sometimes, and it seems like there is plenty of energy here...so if you need something...just give a shout.

So yeah...I'll help... Cool
Gebus
dragonfoal
Retailer
Rep

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:12 pm GMT    Post subject: I like the ideas Reply with quote

One thing I have been wishing for from Dragon Dice™ would be some Faction Logos, or just a figurehead to represent each faction. We are interested in making up some faction banners and stuff and I would love to have a simple symbol or logo for each faction available.

Someone mentioned Cliff's faction playmats earlier? Where can I find those, I would be all over printing and laminating some of those for our growing Dragon Dice™ scene!

Gebus
Good Times Games
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: I like the ideas Reply with quote

Gebus wrote:

Someone mentioned Cliff's faction playmats earlier?

Cliff has moved twice in the last 3 months so things are a little hectic.

The playmats on the list to get done, they just haven't risen to the top yet.

Cliff
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those would be the demo mats. Cliff brought along version 0.5 at GenCon. It needed some work, it had a few errors. But it was a very good start. The setup was that each mat had one race's information on it. Put two back-to-back, and then you could demo to someone or a pair with them. Cliff was going to clean them up, but I wouldn't be surprised to find he hasn't had time.

Oops, I see he beat me to posting....
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:27 am GMT    Post subject: Website Design Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
as Dan mentined The racial introductions are a good place to start for new players. Once they are finished I would like to move them to the main homepage and possible even a booklet format (dan?)

Some things about a race are not specifially called out anywhere... what unit performs an individual save the best? what unit produces the most melee per roll (average). etc... You just have to know the dice a bit. Those are good things to know, but maybe not when you are first learning the game.

I was under the impression that the "Introductions" I assembled were completed for all 12 races and the Dragonkin. They have been out on the Strategy forum for up to 6 months, and each has been updated as I've seen helpful comments and corrections noted for each. I think they can be migrated to the website right now, or as soon as the "website re-design" has reached the point of rolling out. Question

I started an "Introduction" for the Eldarim that I PM'd to Chuck for his opinion, but he thought it could wait. With the Eldarim expansion coming out, there will be a need to complete that "Introduction" as well (and that will be a BIG one).

As far as making a "booklet" (or preparing it for some kind of Dragon Dice™ Player's Guide), my "introductions" were drafted as Word documents. I can add some SAI icons to the SAI section and images of each die with the dice descriptions, but that will make it one hefty-sized Word file... Exclamation
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Website Design Reply with quote

dburkley wrote:

As far as making a "booklet" (or preparing it for some kind of Dragon Dice™™ Player's Guide), my "introductions" were drafted as Word documents. I can add some SAI icons to the SAI section and images of each die with the dice descriptions, but that will make it one hefty-sized Word file... Exclamation

you've discovered one of my new pet projects. its just a matter of where it sits in my priority list. I was hoping to do something on it during this vacation, but the fun keeps getting in the way.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to put it into to something that makes a good PDF. I've been using InDesign (an Adobe product) to do the rules and booklets. I'm busy this summer, but I can take your text and format it into InDesign and embed icons as well. Then output the whole thing into a PDF.

Can't promise a date, but perhaps early this fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> SFR Operations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: