SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shipping idea: Tips for Miss Tiffany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
locohost
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:33 am GMT    Post subject: Shipping idea: Tips for Miss Tiffany Reply with quote

Most of us are more than over anxious to get our orders. How'bout this: Give us a button to add an $8 "rush fee" or call it a "tip for Miss Tiffany" to our order total. If we add this, our order gets moved up into a priority pack-n-ship line in front of all other orders (except still kept in queue with the other rush orders) and will be in the postman's hands within 2 days. You would need to put an early morning deadline on these orders. Say the order must be in no later than 9am EST or something. And here's the awesome part... Miss Tiffany gets to pocket all these fees! I don't know what your monthly order volume is, but this could add up to a sweet monthly check for her. Sweeter than chocolate I bet! Smile
MissTiffany
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea myself!
yvesvanherp
common

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea.

I can add that fee AND some Belgian chocolates in the mix, so I will maybe come first of those who added the fee! Wouldn't that be nice, Miss Tiffany? Wink
locohost
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:12 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if $8 is the right price point. I just guessed. You'd want the "tip" to be enough so that the right number of people would click it. If the fee is too low, too many buyers will click, then Miss Tiffany would make a lot of money but most likely could not make the 2-day commitment. If the fee is too high then barely anyone will click it, then Miss Tiffany doesn't gain much.

Mark Smile
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mr.Tiffany I have to agree with this concept.

As Mr. SFR, I have to point out that we don't want to appear to be taking advantage of our customers. i.e. "we will ship your order out someday, unless you wanna slip us a 5-spot..." Its like the $1 ebay auction with $30 shipping and handling. Thats just wrong.

Just an FYI - a common complain we get is that 'the order sits in your offices for days before its shipped'.

Most people on the forum realize that the shipping department is one-two people (who only spend a few hours a week doing it and get no compensation) and 'offices' is just another word for 'back room'.

However, most of our customers are not part of the forum and to them we are just like amazon or any other retailer.

We are doing what we can to increase the visibility to order status.
locohost
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:46 am GMT    Post subject: I must disagree Reply with quote

Mmmm, I must respectfully disagree with Mr. SFR Smile

It's nothing like the $1 eBay auction with $30 shipping. Those auctions are incredibly annoying. There are many web stores out there that have a small "rush processing" fee. This isn't my brand new idea. One store that comes to mind: Newegg.com has a $3 rush fee and your order is guaranteed to go out next day.

I think if you poll us, you'll find many of us will pay a small extra fee to move to the front of the shipping queue. Especially when we know the order could take 2 - 3 weeks. Right? Smile

Also, many years ago I had a gaming products web store. I used to pack mountains of boxes to ship out every few days. That is a truly terrible job so I do sympathize with Miss Tiffany. Doing that job for free would suuuuuuuck Very Happy

IMHO $5 to $8 is a fair fee to get my box out the door more quickly. Charge $7 and put $2 of every fee toward boxes and packing supplies and give $5 to Miss Tiffany. I'd bet big this will make a lot of people happy.

Mark Smile
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a dedicated shipping person whose only job is to process orders nothing changes in how orders are shipped, because let's say everyone pays the expedited shipping charge. Now we are back to the situation we are in now where everyone is in the same queue and the order gets out when it comes to the top of the list. Plus, with the quick ship guarantee, Miss Tiffany (and Mr. Tiffany) get MUCH less sleep because they will be spending all their nights fulfilling orders to get them out by the quick ship deadline (Cause if they don't then everyone is upset that they paid extra and didn't get quick ship and I can see where State A.G.s and consumer protection persons would come to bear VERY quickly - not good for business). Plus, those who don't get quick ship may never see their order since it will never come to the top of the list due to new quick ship orders coming in. Please cut the shipping department a break - they do have day jobs after all and a family to raise. Just be thankful they have volunteered so much of their lives to keeping Dragon Dice™ alive, without them and some others (Chuck and Mrs. Pint to name 2) Dragon Dice™ would be in the same shape as the other CDGs that came out around the same time as Dragon Dice™ did.
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
locohost
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeD wrote:
Please cut the shipping department a break - they do have day jobs after all and a family to raise.

Really?!?! I was mostly with you up until this point. Are you implying that I'm complaining and ragging on Cliff and or Tiffany? Or am I merely trying to make a suggestion that will give Miss Tiffany a little more work satisfaction as well as make a lot of DD players happy?

I'm speaking from my small business owner's experience when I say this: customers get pissed when they know they're only 3 or 4 days away (shipping time) and they're asked to wait 3 weeks! Say what you want about this, but it's a simple fact and it will wreck your business.

Yeah we all get it... "SFR is small", "we're so small", "its a labor of love", etc. That's all fine and some of us know this, but if you want this game to take off (and of course we all do!) then you better figure out how to properly service and keep the existing DD players happy as well as (hopefully) the steadily growing mass of new DD players. If you don't, you won't make it.

I want DD to make a big come back and I want SFR to become hugely successful just like everyone else here!!! Smile Please don't insult me for wanting to discuss ways to help make this happen.

Mark Smile
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Cliff (treasurer) and I (president) as the two operating officers of the company have been working on a solution to this problem. Since this is now a public discussion, I'd like to see want others think of some of the solutions that Cliff and I have discussed.

Base assumption here:
While Tiffany tries to ship once a week every week, sometimes she just can't find the time. So she needs a two week window of ship times.

Possible solutions:
  1. Change the shopping cart software to display "shipping by x/x/x" instead of just showing "packing" for days on end.
  2. Put up a HUGE text screen that requires another click that tells you your package will not ship for up to two weeks.
  3. Put up a picture of a cute puppy, and tell people that if they complain the puppy gets it.*
* #3 was a [bad] attempt at humor and should not be taken seriously.

Problems with the solutions:
  1. Writing new code takes time and testing, and Cliff and I are already busy. If there are any PHP programmers out there that can help, we'll take it.
  2. While this is fairly easy to do, nobody pays any attention to this stuff. They forget they even saw it after about 5 seconds.
  3. Not serious, not going to happen, forget I said it (see 5 second rule above)

All that said, we'd rather work toward an acceptable solution than piss off our customers. We know that each of you are our best sales persons for the game. We don't want to turn you into our worst enemies.... Embarassed
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
locohost
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 am GMT    Post subject: How'bout help? Reply with quote

Perhaps you could add $5 - $8 to every order and bring in a family friend or even a neighbor kid or two in the evenings to help pack and label boxes? This would greatly expedite shipping. Pay the help with these fees.

Just ideas, don't yell at me Mike! Very Happy

Mark Smile
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Possible solutions:

While I don't mind solution#3, people do say there's something wrong with me.

There is a 4th option (which will either die or be taken private very quickly).

After many years of struggling and being small, we are finally starting to show some decent growth again. Thus the only solution is to just simply ship quicker or we risk restricting our growth.

There is a provision for formalizing positions on an annual basis, setting up metrics/goals, and providing rewards upon the completion of them. We just very rarely do it to keep costs lean.

We don't need another officer, but we can create positions. There are two shipping centers, so this would formalize two different people. We can't kill our budget, but there's only so much we can ask someone to do for free. Neutral
locohost
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:00 am GMT    Post subject: Technical help Reply with quote

Forgot to mention...

I make my living working as an "IT Consultant" for a firm in Washington DC. We're a Microsoft Gold Partner so it's been a while since I did any PHP but honestly there is no programming, database, or web dev task I couldn't help with. I'm willing to help any time Smile
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Technical help Reply with quote

locohost wrote:
I'm willing to help any time Smile
As Chuck mentioned, TIME is the most important part. Any of us have the skills (I'd eat my Masters if I didn't), but its the TIME that's hard to come by.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
chuckpint wrote:
Possible solutions:

There is a provision for formalizing positions on an annual basis, setting up metrics/goals, and providing rewards upon the completion of them. We just very rarely do it to keep costs lean.

We don't need another officer, but we can create positions. There are two shipping centers, so this would formalize two different people. We can't kill our budget, but there's only so much we can ask someone to do for free. Neutral

What are you getting at with this post. There are two shipping centers, but SFR can create positions? You need these positions filled by people who live where the shipping centers are, right? I guess I am not quite following you. In the past I had wondered if there was a way I could help out in this area, but quickly dismissed it as a "No... there really isn't a way", given where the orders are filled and where I live.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoesan wrote:

What are you getting at with this post.
Changing MissTiffany from being a pure volunteer to compensated in some minimal way be it in product,services, stock, whatever.

I did not mean to imply it as an open posting. Shocked
yvesvanherp
common

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to raise a family all of you, I do understand the time problem, after all "real life" comes always first in my book! And who are we - the customers - to tell those people how they should run a business they already saved from going to the far bottom of the ocean?

I thought in fact this thread started as kind of a joke. That's why I mentioned "Belgian chocolates". I think SFR is doing very well, let us all give them the "time" they need to grow into something bigger.

By the way, I ordered myself a few times from SFR and I can guarantee that my orders reached my doorstep very fast ... even that far away. I wish the Belgian mail would work as well! Crying or Very sad

So I should say, keep up the good work and things will go just fine, but that's only my two cents!

Günter Wink
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
shoesan wrote:

What are you getting at with this post.
Changing MissTiffany from being a pure volunteer to compensated in some minimal way be it in product,services, stock, whatever.

I did not mean to imply it as an open posting. Shocked

Ahh... and with that explanation, when I now read the original post, it is very clear. Thanks.
MissTiffany
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sparked my interest in the chocolate as I have never had that particular kind before! Laughing

I like this idea but I think 8$ an order is a bit much myself.
locohost
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissTiffany wrote:
You sparked my interest in the chocolate as I have never had that particular kind before! Laughing

I like this idea but I think 8$ an order is a bit much myself.

How about adding a straight $5 to every order. Use these fees to pay one or two young guys/girls nearby or perhaps a family member to come pick/pack/label boxes. Now you have effectively two or three people doing the shipping, all of our orders will go out really fast and your budget is untouched.

Mark Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> SFR Operations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: