SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magestorm!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Magestorm! Reply with quote

As many people have noted, SFR's store is out of Magestorm!. I've had a number of people ask if SFR is going to make any more Magestorm!. The short answer is no. However, the longer answer is: yes in a different way. I'm not going to post any timetables, or make any promises that SFR cannot make. We will make all the dice that came in Magestorm!, but it will be packaged differently. And it will not all come out at the same time.

So I'm going to let all our faithful forum readers in on a little secret. You may have noticed that Eldarim has a lot of ties to dragonkin. So we as the BoD decided that we had to come out with dragonkin or Eldarim would be a bust. So there will be a dragonkin expansion pack coming out.

That will be the first part of Magestorm! being reprinted. How and when minor terrains and magic items will come out, I simply don't know at this point. We have ideas and plans, but nothing is firm.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the dice in the new release going to be made the same way (basic 5 colors only)? Would it be possible to make them with a mix, since the mixed color look of Dragon Dice™ is part of their appeal? For example, maybe each of the 5 colors could be mixed with the silver or gold that was used in the medallions at a ratio of 4:1 or something? I don't know if that would even be possible, but as far as appearance, the Magestorm! dice are by far the most boring dice in the entire line. Even if you made the new dice using the plastic that was used for SFR's Dragonkin Champs, it would make them much better. And then as an added bonus, for the "gotta have every variation" collectors, it would give reason for them to "have" to buy the new dice even if they already have complete sets of dragonkin (somehow, I think I just asked to spend more money!).

Shoe
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the solid colors...
with the gold or silver ink.
I remember when Magestorm! first was released...
I thought the solids brought the game back to the basic elements...
thus it also played a role in shaping your armies elements.
I was excited to see a solid color.
It added a definitive look to your army.
Pure element.
The medallions on the other-hand...they were first prizes...
so those were truly precious metals.

The solid colors can really emphasis your armies' look.
I have a gold army the looks fantastic with the gold magic items...
it really stands out.

If you use a mix of colored magical items with an amazon army...it really looks fun.

Some of the races have an area where you can see a pure color...
like the firewalkers...
or scalders...occasionally you will see a pure red area.
This is the same red as the magic items.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonkin will stay the same. There is no reason to change them. Dragonkin are meant to be pure elementals. Therefore it would make no sense to "mix" other colors (including ivory) into them. Eldarim are going to be a mix of elemental colors and ivory in order to make them different from dragonkin. So we can't make the dragonkin look like Eldarim....
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
There is no reason to change them.

That is a debatable statement. I gave one reason to change them... to make them look better. Maybe that is the only reason anyone can come up with, but even by itself, it is a valid reason, at least to some (or even only one). I would totally understand if its not a strong enough reason to overcome the reasons for not changing them, but its still a reason. Part of the initial intrigue of Dragon Dice™, at least for me, and probably many others, was the appearance of the dice themselves.

chuckpint wrote:
Therefore it would make no sense to "mix" other colors (including ivory) into them. Eldarim are going to be a mix of elemental colors and ivory in order to make them different from dragonkin. So we can't make the dragonkin look like Eldarim....

I wasn't proposing to mix the 5 colors with each other. That is what the races are for. I wasn't proposing to mix the colors with ivory either. As you said, that is what the new Eladrim races are for. I was simply trying to find something that could be mixed in a small ratio that would not make the new appearance look like they would need a rules update. I picked silver/gold from the medallions because I thought that might do it. Those colors of gold/silver/bronze do not have any real definition in the game.

I still don't see why the new dragonkin couldn't at least be done with the same plastics used in the SFR Dragonkin Champs. Maybe its cost, and if so, I could certainly understand not going that route. But if the manufacturing costs were the same, I think at least considering doing them that way wouldn't be a bad thing. If we can have dragonmasters that look very different from each other (TSR Blue to SFR Blue, etc.) and be accepted in the game as the same die, then why not dragonkin?

Shoe
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, all your reasons don't make any sense. Why? Simply because you don't understand the process for making these dice. So I'll give a little lesson.

First, we cannot use any colors of plastic other than black, blue, yellow, green, red, brown, ivory, or white. Any other color is big bucks extra cost and we can't afford it. Yes, TSR made things with gold, but they could afford the extra cost, we can't. So we used yellow instead of gold.

Second, the Dragonkin Champions (not champs) are made with a very different process than the main dice. And are made at another company in another country. Most Dragon Dice™ are made with compression molding. Small pellets of plastic are put into a mold, the mold is closed and put under heat and pressure. The dice are tumbled to remove the rough edges and then painted. The promo dice like the Dragonkin Champions are made with injection molding. To get two different colors, injected plastic is swirled into the mold. So is the price the same? No. The injected plastic is about the same cost to make, but the molds cost 10 times as much. Packaging and shipping of the injected plastic is also more expensive (difference between something made in the UK vs. Hong Kong). Given that the molds for dragonkin are in Hong Kong and made for compression molding, means that we have zero mold costs for making more dragonkin there. Moving it to somewhere else, is just throwing away money we don't have.

So I stand by my earlier statement: Dragonkin will stay the same.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so it costs alot more to do it that way. I have no problem with that. I didnt even need the dice creation process explained (although it is appreciated). A simple "No, it would cost way too much to do them like the Dragonkin Champions were done" would have been fine.

I was just trying to contribute an idea to the creation of these dice before they get created, that's all. It was just an idea, and I think my first post illustrates that pretty well. If for economical reasons, it can't be done, so be it. I was just saying that, at least to me, a release of dragonkin that looked different than the current ones would be greatly anticipated. A release of dragonkin that looked the same would be not-quite-so anticipated (although apparently very necessary).

Shoe
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think new Dragonkin will look different.
If you examine the new starter plastic colors of the Dragons...
you will see a noticable difference.

I call the new starters.... Dark.

So it's possible the new Dragonkin will be Dark.

I can't say anything official...as I'm only going by what SFR has released.

The green, blue, red seem to be darker..
the gold is a light yellow
black is the same.

So new Magestorm! IF REPRINTED... might follow suit.

again...Unofficial
Ade

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whatever you guys decide, I for one am stoked that Magestorm stuff is getting reprinted - whenever it happens!

Peace 'n' Ting,

Ade.
gryxzl
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

kewl. Always liked Magestorm! (set that got me into collecting Dragon Dice™ in the first place) I love the idea of breaking down the set into smaller parts, making them easier to collect. But won't this have an impact on the secondary collectors (such as I) market?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:45 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely not a big difference for dragonkin and minor terrains. Those have been pretty easy to get, and therefore not worth a lot on the secondary market. Magic items are a different story. Since they are not planned yet, it would way too early to tell.
gryxzl
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Brown Plastic? Reply with quote

If you have access to brown plastic, do you have plans to incorporate it (at some later date) into the dice to make additional races? If not, then what do you use the brown plastic for?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no plans to use brown. While it's available, we can't see any use for it.
gryxzl
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Usage for Brown Plastic Reply with quote

How about making brown the color of constructs and machines? You could make the rares golems (death, ice, clay, cloud, and flame), the uncommon could be thopters (necro, aqua, geo, aero, and pyro), commons could be grunts (swamp, water, mud, forest, fire), and the monsters could be life drinker, whirlpool walker, dust master, oakenstein, and lava doll. Major terrains could be moor, ocean, desert, jungle, and lava pool, with minor terrains of fen, isle, salt flat, grove, and volcano.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: