SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

As the Tower Turns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The White Tornado's winds raced towards Chuck's limo. The Sun roof flung away from the limo, and the swirling winds seized Chuck's new laptop, spiraling it into the sky.

"Oops, you've got a typo there," Steve said to Joe. "It should be Chguck."

Joe glanced over Steve's shoulder. "Dang, you're right," he agreed. "My DragonDiceOffice spell checker must have done an auto-edit on it." He paused for a moment, an idea obviously taking shape in his mind. "Then again, I could leave it. Instead of being a 21st century parody of Once Upon a Forum, I could make it into a fictionalized account of Chuck's life. Heck, I could put all of us into it!"

Steve laughed. "Yeah, right. Who'd want to read a story about the SFR directors? I mean, our stuff ends up on ddw.steveandjoesworld.com, but I really think that the comings and goings of the SFR crew would be a tad on the dull side."

"Except for your suits," Joe said. "No one would believe those colors unless we actually had a picture."

"Hey, I never said I was a fashion maven," Steve chuckled. "When you're built like me, you take what you can get. But I like the Dwarven color scheme."

"You should go with the Colorado Casual look," Joe replied. "I'm ready for the slopes or the Broncos. But that's beside the point-we're getting off-topic."

"Us? Off-topic? Never!" Steve protested. There was a second's pause, then both men burst out in hysterical laughter.

Joe wiped a tear from his eye. "Good one," he said. "But still, what if I made all the characters and events in the story fictionalized? The only thing that would be 'true' would be the names."

"Better stick with Chguck-he's a proven winner on the best-seller lists," Steve answered. "I really don't think anybody wants to read a story starring us-or, worse, Chuck. Besides, you've already got the title set-As the Goblin Turns. How'd you make that work with the SFR crew?"

Joe paused and thought. "You're probably right, for a change," he agreed. "Chguck it is."
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)

Last edited by ddicerc on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:30 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wisely, Chuck had installed a GPS card in his laptop, and the Limo driver headed to the coordinates. The limo arrived at a rock formation, and high atop at its peak, the laptop glistened. Chuck felt rather adventuous, and decided to retrieve the laptop, while unaware that he would soon have a visitor on his journey.

I am really going to have to make sure I never give out one of the product development laptops to the playtest crew for their annual picnic again, thought Chuck. There's just too much top-secret stuff on here. It's not like the old days, when we could develop an entirely new product line on the old Forum without anyone ever even knowing there was a discussion going on.

Suddenly a chill wind kicked up, a horrific noise rose up the hill, and Chuck felt an odd premonition that he was about to meet someone he would have to answer to. Slowly he turned to see what was approaching. He spied someone seated on a green and red Harley speeding up the hill toward him. Not in time! Chuck groaned to himself. The figure approached, slowing as he came toward the president. Then he stopped his machine, swiftly dismounted, and strode rapidly over to where Chuck stood.

"Wafak liptap doon upeer!" a muffled voice called out.

"I can't understand you," Chuck replied. "Take off your helmet."

With a muffled retort, the man pulled off his custom-made Unseelie Faerie helmet. "What is that laptop doing up here? The alarm on my GPS inventory tracker went off an hour ago," John yelled. "You know it's my job to keep track of everything we spend, and this doesn't make the job any easier!"

"Calm down," answered Chuck. "It's my fault. I let the playtest group bring the new trial software for The Eldarim Way to their picnic to try out. One of them got careless and left this one behind. Fortunately, my GPS tracker also went off, so no harm was done."

John mellowed a bit. "Who's the idiot that left it here?" he asked. "I want them kicked off the playtest group immediately."

Chuck glanced at the serial number, then punched it into his Personal Dice Assistant. "Hmmm, that's odd," he said. "This isn't one of the laptops I signed out to the crew."

"Well, somehow it ended up out here, and apparently without anyone noticing," John exclaimed. "So what's going on here?"

Chuck checked his PDA again. "This one is defective- it was sent down to tech recycling last week. Odd that its GPS is still working. This definitely requires some investigating."

"Let me take it," John said. "This might fit into a strange pattern of events I've been trying to figure out for the past month."

Chuck handed him the laptop. The two men exchanged goodbyes, then headed for their respective vehicles and drove off, unaware that nearby a video camera had just been turned off. A man in a hooded sweatshirt stowed the camera in his backpack, then cautiously headed down the hill.
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Penthouse:

Urgent Message>>>

Stop.....

Ready the heliport

Stop.....

Shipment Arriving

Stop....

Signature Required

X....................................................................

What could this be?

asked Jonathan, as he handed the telegram to his father. The young man, while not as tall and gangly as his elder sibling, was still a big guy- a good reason for Steve to keep him with him during the press of GenCon DC. With Pelter Boy over in Germany, Jon was willing to pick up some of the slack. (Besides, ever since he beat his brother in Pelterfest IV, he had become something of a hero to the rest of Dragon Dicedom.)

"It's about time!" his father exclaimed. "Let's get up to the roof!" The two hustled to auxiliary elevator that led to the heliport of the SFR Center DC. (Naming rights had transferred after SFR bought out Verizon to create the DiceNet cell service.) They arrived just as SFR 6 was setting down. A familiar figure descended from the craft, a large and rather intimidating book under his arm.

"Brad! Over here!" Steve called. The two men shook hands. "You remember my son Jonathan?" he asked.

Brad smiled. "Of course!" he said. "How can I forget the boy who brought down Pelterfest? That, and his insane rolls in Worlds back in '06. Too bad he didn't keep them going the next day, or we might have nipped Pelter Boy in the bud."

"Fat chance of that!" snorted Steve. "At least he's bugging Deeghter this summer instead of me." He eyed the book in Brad's hands. "That's it? The latest FAQ for the rules?"

"Yep," said Brad, "fresh off the presses. Just finished the final edits last Tuesday."

"We sure can use them," Steve said. "For some reason, the revised 27th edition rules are causing more headaches. If players would just read and apply them correctly! Oh, and read the glossary, too."

"Well, we can't expect everyone to go through all three volumes," Brad said. "Maybe we need to encourage a few players to stay at the lower levels for a while."

"True, they do try to push it from Novice to Beginner to Rookie to Intermediate I, II, and III-heck, through all 22 levels to get to Pro," Steve agreed. "And a lot of them don't belong."

Brad grinned. "Just take me down to the tables," he said. "Maybe I can encourage a few of them to step down a bit."

The three of them hurried back to the elevator, and disappeared behind the doors, heading for the main arena floor and the Pro Quarterfinals.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As they were unloading the shipment,
a single die rolled out of the crate unnoticed...
It was a dice shipment alright,
a Wasteland!!!
But how can this be?
Did they....?
Were these demos?
Is this just a dream sequence?

Cut to the Limo-----------------

"Won't work," snorted Steve. "You know full well the Wastelands were an absolute disaster. Chuck will never approve a scene using one of them-unless the producers agree to buy the last 500,000 in the warehouse."

"Well, it was worth a try," Joe shrugged. "I figured maybe mentioning one in a Mysteries of Dragon Diceâ„¢ episode might create a bit more interest in them, especially among the newbies who probably have never seen one in play."

"You'd be better off talking about all the hush-hush back in '07," Steve said. "That was a really cool 'episode' in SFR history."

Joe smiled. "Oh, yeah, I remember that," he grinned. "That sure was a blast! We had everybody bamboozled for sure. They never saw it coming."

"I don't think we'll ever top that," Steve agreed. "And the best part was the way players would find the most obscure references in posts on all kinds of subjects and try to figure out if they had any real meaning."

"That's a green dwarf vorpal spear cantrip for sure," Joe replied.

Steve just chuckled knowingly.

Just then a commotion erupted in the Pro Qualifier area. "Uh, oh, better go see what that's all about," Steve murmured as he walked swiftly toward the scene.

Joe waved as Steve departed. And they'll never know if it was an accident, a deliberate misquote, or an outright fake, he thought, especially since it doesn't mean much of anything.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

China:distribution warehouse
after hours....

1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007, 1008, 1008, 1009, 1010.

he he he...that should do it....
with a grimacing smirk.....
with that the entire lot of wastelands was mixed into the starter box terrain bin.

The cloaked one disapeared into the darkness of the distribution warehouse.

Now let's see....where is the red and green plastic pellets....
ahh.....
grabbing a few bags ....
the cloaked one was gone.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:25 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixing the red and green pellets:

The cloaked one finished creating the Green Red terrains...
of which still this day had "no name"...

hmmm...I'd better make the minor terrains as well...
arrrgh where's the red...and blue pellets....
need to make them as well....
here we are...

after several days...
the new minor terrains and terrains were done...

now time to make a littile visit to the China Warehouse...

This all would seem as a normal routine for the cloaked one...
but this time there would be some changes....

a lone black terrain was going to be added to the terrain bin...
now what should I call this little black beauty...?

hehehehehehehehe Twisted Evil Shocked Cool
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:35 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the tour Bus....

and over here we see Pelter_Mountain.

This mountain has been growing continuously for years,
much like an active volcano...

As the tourist pressed their heads against the air-conditioned tinted glass windows,
the bus began to rumble...
it became louder....

Look!!!
a fireball was headed directly for Pelter Mountain.
The tourist began to panic

Shwoooshhhh.................
just then the Dwarven Parachute opened...(Red and Gold with the Dwarven Tower Shield Icon)
but still hurling towards Pelter Mountain...
the Fireball impacted and sent Thousands of Pelters into the Sky...
it was about to rain Pelters.
Some were burning on fire...
others had tails of smoldering ash...

Take Cover!! Shocked
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wreckage of the Dwarves in Space capsule was returned to the Highlands...
The Astronauts all seemed to be fine,
although Chguck was still over-sized.

They had to quarantine the Astronauts until further tests could determine what the ravishes of Space had on them.

Donations for the Pelter Mountain reconstruction were showing up at the SFR tower.
There seemed to be an abundant amount of Trolls donated,
probably for their regeneration ability.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reflections of Pelter Mountain off the Lake Robronn is a major tourist attraction.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile...at the SFR heliport...

A shipment arrived just a sunset.

There was much assistance...as the cargo was quickly scurried away.

And just as fast...a shadowy figure boarded the helicopter...as it flew away into the sunset.

(whew.... that was heavy duty....) Cool
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like we're starting all over again, Chuck thought to himself. The new 25th anniversary starters were going to be throwbacks-not quite back to the TSR days, but to the first starters released under the SFR banner. Back to when Coral Elves were Coral Elves, Dwarves were Dwarves, and...well, you get the picture. None of this using Coral Elf icons as [passage deleted due to sensitive nature of the material]. Jim was a little ticked, of course. He had done original dice art since back in '08, and none of his work would be needed for this kicker. And no royalties, either, Chuck thought with a smile.

Just then his cell phone rang. It was Steve. "What's up? And where the heck have you been?" Chuck said.

"Sorry about that-Pelter Boy's been driving me crazy," Steve answered. "Plus we had to get Selumari™ Girl off to college again. But good news-it looks like we're going to get the Super Bowl ad campaign as written."

"Good!" Chuck said. "To tell the truth, I never thought the NFL would go along with putting the SFR logo at midfield. Good work!"

"Plus, we have a luxury box for the game, and every fan will get their commemorative NFL Dragon Diceâ„¢ medallion," Steve continued. "I'm just glad that this fit under the petty cash budget in advertising."

"We certainly can use a good deal," Chuck replied. "Sales were down slightly last quarter. Wall Street isn't going to like it when we announce that our profit came in under $25 billion last quarter. But they'll have to live with it. After all, there's a recession going on."

"Hey, any word about that missing janitor?" Steve asked.

"Not yet. The Evanston police are on the lookout. I think it's just a minor annoyance, but you know how sensitive the media can be to any scent of a scandal."

"Yep," Steve answred. "Hey, gotta run-I managed to get lunch with the Eagles front office, and I wanted to ask about the draft this year. Just for fun."

"OK, have a good time," Chuck responded. He flipped his cell phone closed and went back to his inspection of the new prototypes.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just like that....the tower stopped turning.
Neutral
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And just like that....the tower stopped turning.
Neutral

That's not supposed to happen, Billy thought. His plan had been perfect, but when the "SFR Tower of Terror" stopped turning, it meant the ride would be shut down for at least a couple of hours- which also meant the crowd outside the Tower would be moving on to the other attractions of Chill Wind: The Experience, leaving Billy alone with nothing else to do for now.

"Grabwuk!" he exclaimed, to the annoyance of a mother leading her two preteen children past. Her hostile glance caused Billy to scurry off into the shadows of the Tower again. He pulled out a battered Daytimer and crossed off the entry for today with a red marker. Casually flipping through the past few months, he realized this wasn't such a wasted day after all. Today marked the 500th failed plan! Now that was something to celebrate.

Billy headed off to grab a beer at the Feral Club-the wildest place in the park. He might even try to do some feralizing while he was there. Then maybe I'll get back to someplace more family-friendly and try again, he thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Steve & Joe's World All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: