SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meet me on the Game Grid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:14 am GMT    Post subject: Meet me on the Game Grid Reply with quote

These are some brief notes explaining my new idea for combat.

Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I can remember the questions I had...

how many people per grid?
attacks of opportunity as enter or leave or pass?
Can you become... crowded so that you can't move as quickly in or out of a grid?
Obstructions to entering or leaving a grid via maneuver roll?
Can you be 'fast' so you move two spaces a turn (ie all Cav character)
Can you tie 'moving' to racial abilities also tied to maneuvers (ie dwarves in highland move two spaces?, firewalker in blue land ignore being crowded, etc)?

Is 3by3 big enough? too fast to move from one corner to another. consider 5 by 5 to allow for mages to be protected behind melee units.
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of not worrying about crowed right now, as many people can get get in one square as they want.

I didnt want attacks of opportunity cuz melee is powerful enough as it is in this senario. Troy had the idea of when you try to leave a square you have to maneuver against every enemy present. But if there are 2 enemies and you have an ally in the square also, the ally can "distract" one enemy so you have to maneuver against on enemy.

I originally thought about racials letting you move more squares, but since there is a terrain in every square, they only get their racial there. Ie a dwarf gets double maneuvers in a highland, which helps him leave the terrain easier.

I wanted to allow players 2 actions a turn. A move and an attack. Or they can have the option of 2 moves. So players can just run if they please.

And 5x5 you may have something there, but it might be too big.

Also thinking of having a card people can print that would represent them on the grid. It would have their name, level, etc and could draw a picture of their guy. Also this would be so there wouldn't be a ton of dice in one square
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see and agree with you..

on the actions. you said manevuer and attack or two maneuvers. can you do two attacks? I would assume not.

On racial abilities... you don't have the concept of reserves, so the firewalkers might need to change a bit... but the question is why do you roll for maneuvers? The logical reasons are either to determine how FAR you move or to see if you CAN move. I'd be okay with either idea...

on the grid, I agree with the token idea. you can use miniatures, etc.

so I've made several jumps here. first, move from 3x3 to 5x5, then move from square to hex. then move to a representation of a single terrain as a series of hex tiles that are grouped together.

if I can steal a graphic from ... another forum topic. (originally created by Jim for another idea) I mis-use his idea to say that this is representative of a terrain. you can still have the bonus for taking the action printed on the specific space you are on. a battle could take place on a single tile or on a series of tiles placed next to each other.

I use this to represent that a 'tile' of 37-ish smaller areas that would represent a terrain with the 8th at the middle and the other faces spread around...

the half tiles on the edges would be magic faces of both terrains and would have to have some special ruling.

so my idea is not exactly like this image, but its close.

Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We keep talking and maybe a 4x4 grid would work. Everyone rolls intiative and the lowest number chooses first where they want their character to start. So the person who rolled the highest gets to see everyonems place giving them advantage because they rolled the higest. No one starts in the center 4 to help stop melee being able to jump across the grid in any direction turn 1.

I like the hexes too, but I like the idea of smaller maps and multiple terrains being closer. Having maneuvers determine how far you move would make characters move way too far at high levels.

I thought I explained it better, I guess I didn't, players have to out maneuver to see if they can successfully get away from an enemy in the same square. The attack of opportunity would be replaced by the counter maneuver attempt the enemy makes.

Im afraid tiles might be too costly, if there were one big generic map people could customize it with the terrains they already own.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero_Dynasty wrote:

I like the hexes too, but I like the idea of smaller maps and multiple terrains being closer.
I'd say that are too close being a tile per terrain ;-p so the smallest tile would be a square 3 by 3 tile per terrain. or maybe a hex tile made up of 7 sections.

Quote:
Having maneuvers determine how far you move would make characters move way too far at high levels.

I thought I explained it better, I guess I didn't, players have to out maneuver to see if they can successfully get away from an enemy in the same square. The attack of opportunity would be replaced by the counter maneuver attempt the enemy makes.
so move in for free, have to maneuver to move out.

can you move then attack or attack then move or either? this is where releasing a version of the rulebook would be better than partial information where the rest is in your head Smile

Quote:

Im afraid tiles might be too costly, if there were one big generic map people could customize it with the terrains they already own.

I'm willing to 'abstract' this out for now. as the QM I could choose to implement my style of terrain w/o having to make it part of the core rules.
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I am posting on the forum to let people know my ideas to get feedback Smile no rulebook til its done. But yes you can attack and then move or move and then attack. Can I see the tiles used for campaigns? What are there measurements? I did not have a chance to play it at gencon...[/quote]
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

the campaign tiles are fairly large. I'm just brain storming at ways to cost costs by sharing.

as i said this can be abstracted by your current idea. so lets move on.
theanimaster
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one move about the RPG world? Is the 3x3 grid only for combat?
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Dragon Dice: Quest All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: