SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chill Wind: The Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Chill Wind: The Story Reply with quote

It's been a while since Joe Joiner's novel Chill Wind was completed, but I never got around to posting the end of the story online. Well, now it's there! The complete story (10 parts amd epilogue) is available for your perusal either through the DDRC web site or by going directly to http://members.aol.com/Polycarp2c/cwportal.html . IMHO, this is a better story than the "official" Dragon Diceâ„¢ novel Cast of Fate ever dreamed of being. (And Joe will be insulted that I even mentioned his story and CoF in the same breath.) And, if you ever stop by the Chill Wind Campaign, you'll know the background our story comes from. (The CWC is set in post-Chill Wind Cyrea.)

Enjoy! If you like the story, post your compliments to the author here. (He also accepts donations of used dice and small, unmarked bills.)
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
spell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read this story and very much enjoyed it. Great writing style. I recommend this to any dicer.
spell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill Wind is the best Dragon Diceâ„¢ story out there. Far better than Cast of Fate, just like Steve says. Is the story an "official" part of the Dragon Diceâ„¢ world. If not, how come?
Sabredice
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:45 pm GMT    Post subject: At last! Reply with quote

spell wrote:
If not, how come?

Hey, it's about time DDiceRC! I've been waiting to see how it ends for a couple of years now. I didn't think I'd ever get to see if Geril and Thrag pulled off a miracle. The ending kind of threw me, but its still a good read.

I'll second spells question. Is this an official part of Dragon Diceâ„¢ canon? Also, is the author a member of this forum?

"Whenever a door closes in your face, look for a window."
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been waiting to see how it ends for a couple of years now.

Originally the only way to read the ending was to purchase a copy of the complete novel (self-published) from Joe, the author. (As an aside, my two copies are probably still sitting in the post office in Hamilton, NJ. They were sent right about the time of the post-9-11 anthrax scare, and my mail came through that post office at the time. It was closed and sealed, and has never been reopened, so presumably my copies of Chill Wind are still there.) Since it's been a while since they were sent out, Joe gave me permission to post the rest of the story on the DDRC web site.

And yes, Joe is in this forum, quite often (which is the pot calling the kettle black, I suppose). Just look for posts by Majiken.
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Netherworlder
dragonsteed

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Army of the Dead Reply with quote

If you think "Cast of Fate" is bad, read "Army of the Dead". I get the impression that the writer is pretty accomplished at his craft, he just had no clue as to how he should integrate this gaming world mythology into a story. Part grade-B horror, part shockingly bad dialog with a twist ending that has all the subtlety of a hammer to the knee-cap, I give AotD a C-. Definitely not worth your hard-earned $15. Read "Chill Wind" on line instead.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did "Army of the Dead" ever actually come out? Or perhaps is it posted online somewhere? I don't think I want to read it through, but it is an interesting bit of DD trivia.
Netherworlder
dragonsteed

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can order it from Amazon.com. It is actually $15 a copy and truly is not worth the money. I'd be happy to mail you my copy when I get it back from my cousin if you want to borrow it.
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netherworlder wrote:
You can order it from Amazon.com. It is actually $15 a copy and truly is not worth the money. I'd be happy to mail you my copy when I get it back from my cousin if you want to borrow it.

Heya NW,

Since Steve isn't biting at the offer, can I take you up on it? I don't want to have to pay $15 just to see how bad this book is (but a morbid curiosity is compelling me to want to read it).

Heck, maybe I'll post a review when I finish it (then send it on to Steve for his take).

Thanks!

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Wietmarschen
common
Stockholder

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find the story online. Is it available at the moment?

Cheers,
H
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled it per Joe's request. I think I had chapter 1 up, but that may currently be a dead link. (I haven't had time to update my web site since moving it to Comcast.) There was some scuttlebutt about getting it in print, but nothing ever came of it. Still, the ball's in Joe's court, and if he gives me permission I'll put it back up.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't heard, Chill Wind is now available as a Kindle download from Amazon. If you don't have a Kindle (I don't), you can download a Kindle reader for PC for free. At $3.99, you can't go wrong! Buy early and often, and maybe someday Joe will get back to work on the sequel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: