SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hints and Tips on Playing Ferals?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 am GMT    Post subject: Hints and Tips on Playing Ferals? Reply with quote

I really enjoy the Feral background story, and I've finally gotten enough dice to make a Feral army that I think I will like.

However, I'd love to hear any tips from people that play Ferals. As far as army composition, it seems that they really excel at melee, so for that my initial idea is to use the feline-themed folk plus the magic-folk. It just seems that an army would be at a disadvantage without magic, so even though Ferals don't seem to have the best success at magic sometimes, I still want to keep it available.

I've thought about adding some Treefolk to give them a bit more of a magic "edge", but for me, Feralization is the way to go for Ferals, and I have a concern about playing them as a multi-race, since I obviously can't Feralize the "other" race. Thoughts on this are appreciated. In the Feral Racial Introduction topic on this forum it does mention adding another race to help them out with magic - but again, you can't Feralize that other race, so I'm curious as to how that works out. I like to keep my options open. Smile

Having been out of the loop of the game for quite some time, and just now having gotten back into it, I'm still trying to understand some of the strategies - so any help/suggestions are awesome. Smile

Thanks! ^.^
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Feral are, in my opinion, one of the strongest races available. They have access to some of the fastest units in the game, have verty tough mages, are virtually immune to small bits of damage, and their spell list is one of the most complete and scary spell lists in the game.

Even though Feral indeed appear to be quite strong in melee, I think their true power lies in magic. Regardless of race, mages tend to be good because of their sheer versatility, meaning they nearly always have means to exploit the opponents weaknesses. The Feral, however, manage to do this just a bit better than anyone else.
As mentioned, their spell list is extremely good. They have just about everything you could want: offence (hailstorm, lighting strike, wilding), defence (stoneskin, wilding again, hide), maneuver-enhancing options (wind walk, transmute rock to mud), the ability to shift terrain presence (path, scent of fear, and to a lesser degree call of the wild) and sustainability/end game (breath of life, dust to dust, backlash). Simply put, there isn't a spell in their list that you wouldn't want (or can't, because of restrictions) cast, because they are all good.
Their lower-health mages do have slightly fewer magic icons than most other mages, but this is hardly a drawback. Having a bit tougher mages means that they won't be as intimidated when a dragon comes your way. Apart from that, magic is the only type of action that relies less on normal icons and more on Id's, mitigating this deficit slightly.

Beyond their mages, you are pretty much free to add whatever you want without having to worry about it being strong enough. The only exception to this seem to be their missile units, which I think are horrible. No saves and no significant improvement in missile power compared to other units... ugh. Light and heavy melee, as well as cavalry, are all very decent.

If you had to point out a Feral weakness, I'd say it would be extreme missile armies, and Frostwing Mages. Amazons or possibly Scalders could give a Feral player headaches through sheer volume of missile power. Amazons are especially tricky, because they love the Flatlands as much as the Feral do. Still, these armies are not as common, and even despite the rough matchup, Feral still have a decent fighting chance. Frostwing mages are also a pain, because they can shut down your magic slightly easier. They'll probably force you into reserves by dropping their mages on the same terrain as yours. Feral mages make a decent support from reserves, but not being on a terrain is simply not as much fun.

F
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about those missile units. At first, I was all excited about them, but I also play Coral Elves and I just can't get over how much more awesomer Coral Elf missile units are than Ferals.

That and I really really really want to play feline-folk. I happen to like cats. Wink

They do have an awesome spell list, I agree, but I'm wondering also about the tactic of perhaps putting in some Treefolk mages with them since the Treefolk dice are much better at providing magic. Then again, they're not as "tough" as the feral mages, I can see what you're saying on that front.

I can definitely vouch for Frostwing mages being a pain. One of my friends that I play against is a Frostwing player and their black magic makes me sad when my units get buried. ;.;

However, I'm just looking for some ideas and feedback from other players that have played much, much more than me, especially recently since I'm a 10+ years out of it returning person as of this month.

I also had a silly idea of putting Ferals and Coral Elves together, but I'm not sure if that works well enough. At least not at a small point army, I'd figure.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalicoCorsair wrote:
I agree about those missile units. At first, I was all excited about them, but I also play Coral Elves and I just can't get over how much more awesomer Coral Elf missile units are than Ferals.

That and I really really really want to play feline-folk. I happen to like cats. Wink

They do have an awesome spell list, I agree, but I'm wondering also about the tactic of perhaps putting in some Treefolk mages with them since the Treefolk dice are much better at providing magic. Then again, they're not as "tough" as the feral mages, I can see what you're saying on that front.

I can definitely vouch for Frostwing mages being a pain. One of my friends that I play against is a Frostwing player and their black magic makes me sad when my units get buried. ;.;

However, I'm just looking for some ideas and feedback from other players that have played much, much more than me, especially recently since I'm a 10+ years out of it returning person as of this month.

I also had a silly idea of putting Ferals and Coral Elves together, but I'm not sure if that works well enough. At least not at a small point army, I'd figure.

Feral work best alone. Adding other races dilutes your ability to use Feralization and Feral-specific stuff like Trumpet.

Stick to only Feral. Mages can support anything with Lightning Strike, Wind Walk, Wilding, Hide, Path, etc.

Melee with an Elephant-folk or two are a force to be reckoned with. Trumpet and Wilding combine to make terrifying melee rolls.
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny things that popped up in my head:

- Wilding works nicely with the (unpopular) Firewalker and Scalder monsters that have normal saves. Scalders deal 8 damage when saving vs a melee attack, while Firewalkers simply get 8 melee (add 8th face for even more fun).

- The above point leads me to believe Firewalkers make a nice addition for an aggressive melee force. Lots of mobility, and Burning Hands stacks with Wilding. The Feral mages add some protection to the squishy Firewaker mages. Dust Devil vs. missile is nice as well.

- Amazon mages cast the same colours on highlands and have a pretty high amount of magic icons as well.

- Undead scale damage at the 'opposite end' of Feral - they mind big hits a good bit less after a few blows. You could combine the two to have a very durable melee force.

- A single high-health Eldarim mage adds a considerable amount of late-game power with Demote Dragonkin.

F

edit: Bronze medallion should be mentioned as well, again because of the power to double melee (Burning Hands), as well as generally being good, especially with gold magic (Path). Trumpet + Burning Hands + Wilding is pretty funny if it happens.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you had to point out a Feral weakness...

I would say it would have to be the lack of SAI maneuver icons...
at least the most commonly played unit.

So to make up for this...
you almost need a separate magic generating army...in the reserves for example...
or you need the cantrip rare mage to put up wind walks during non magic rolls.

These wind walks are needed to trump transmutes and flash flood.

Now the key play of feral is to capture an 8th (the first 8th)...
and then as your opponent moves the terrain up...
this sets up the hide/windwalk.

dragons are a great answer to this...
and feral don't really like dancing lights either.

Chuck is your feral expert.
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firewalkers were, actually, another race that I had thought I might like to play, and I hadn't thought of them with the Feral. I know there are some good red magic spells out there too, from playing vs my husband who has Lava Elves. It is an interesting thought. We have a few Firewalkers that I wasn't sure what I might want to do with them.

I don't think I'll be using any Scalders or Undead. As much as they might be able to work together I'm not a fan of the back stories on them.

I did actually do this in my last game with my kinda "crappy" Feral army that I came up with on a limited dice selection. I camped at an 8th face, and when my opponent wasn't looking, having had withdrawn his troops, I pathed to a 7th face and won the game that way, by waiting it out.

Dragons I have a hard time strategizing around. They're so destructive, to your army AND theirs. o.o
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feral don't like:
Dancing lights
Transmute Rock to Mud (no SAI maneuvers)
Dragons on hidden units

Feral love:
Melee attacks on other mage armies (except perhaps Undead), a cantriped Wilding can really tear up other mages.
Path, Hide, Wind Walks, Transmute Rock to Mud (on the other guys)

I love pairing up Feral with either Goblins or Treefolk.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like dragons, period, unless they're attacking someone else. Wink So I can understand why the Ferals wouldn't like them stomping all over their hidden units! LOL

I'm leaning more and more towards trying Treefolk + Feral, maybe at 24/36 points. I would presume Treefolk mages + Feral melee might make a good combination.

I'm also going to have to keep in mind Wilding. It's good that you've all brought this up many times since I really haven't touched much on that particular spell, and looking at it again it's really awesome.

Thanks for all the tips guys. It's really helping me to figure out just what's going on here. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: