SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daemon Dice™ Rules 0.8b
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

v9 of the starter and expansion are done. I just wanna make some updates the breeds before I post them...

Thinking about breed abilities... I think better out loud... This is not meant to be logical or anything.

So, let me start by making a table of their effects and whether they scale or not (for massive daemons)

I'm trying to decide what to do with Blood...

BreedEffectscale?
Frostexpensive recoversYes
Rotwounding a stunNo
BloodRecover when wounding?
DeathAuto targeted MinusNo
Festerstun when woundedYes
Firea stun is a woundNo
Stench Auto StunNo
Wraith ignore minusNo

Rot is fine.
Death is fine.
Fire is fine.
Stench is fine.

So two (potentially three) of these scale with daemon size. That would make those more desirable in larger games.

Fester is a 'losing' ability, and limiting it to one stun per turn seems limiting. Note: it is a suspension of disbelieve that a brain/pincer destroying a Staff would activate this. Deal with it.

Frost is strong, but the alternates I am thinking of are even stronger. This and poison are the only things that have to be tracked outside of the dice, which also bug me today.

Two of these actually prolong the game (blood and wraith) by being non-offensive. I know many games will end with a minus rather than damage, but I can't see them ending with the exact number of minuses. Thus I'm leaning towards Wraith 'consuming' the minus, but that one die is still active. i.e. after all minuses are applied you get to reactivate one minused die. An upgrade to this would be to allow the wraith to escape a tentacle the same way, this is die specific and would mean a wraith must be damaged to death...

Finally Blood... A wound is damaging already, so adding anything onto it (an extra stun, an extra minus, etc) is just insult to injury. Right now this breed appeals to me the most, so I'm paying extra attention to not over balance it...

now my brain hurts...
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stun your Brain..... Smile

Ok, more serious now. We can scale all those others rather easily if we steal a page from Dragon Dice™. Specifically the rules about how many Dragons to bring. So Rot Wounds one Stunned die per 13 health of starting dice, it scales quite nicely. So just divide by 13 your number of starting dice, and round(?) up. *Round is not the correct mathematical term, but I'm drawing a blank on the correct term* Correct programming term is ceiling, but that's not a math term.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. That would help. Wording might be awkward... I'd probably make it based on some other number than 13.

I guess we also need to put in a rule about half breed for even number daemons.

thoughts on Wraith? is that too much?

and since I'm just thinking crazy today... It seems to me there is a huge gap between mongrel and half breed. So I'm tempted to think about an ability for that gap between half a race and all different...

Friday afternoon, my brain is more brainstorming than logical.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I threw out 13 since that's the number in our starters and kickers. Maybe 15 is a better number. Don't want it to be less than 13.

In the old rules if you had exactly half of an even number, you simply declare it at the beginning of the game. And it stays that half-breed the entire game. Next game, it could be the other breed.

If we make Blood recover one stun for every wound, then it should scale just fine. Just make sure that Rot happens first. While it makes it more likely that people will want to bring things like all Pincers for a Blood Daemon, I don't think it will be an "automatic winner".

I still think Wraith is fine with ignore one minus.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:

If we make Blood recover one stun for every wound, then it should scale just fine. Just make sure that Rot happens first. While it makes it more likely that people will want to bring things like all Pincers for a Blood Daemon, I don't think it will be an "automatic winner".

Rot and Blood happen at two completely separate times. Do you mean Fester happens first?

As for being an automatic winner. A pincer wounds 33% and never saves. So a defensive daemon should have no trouble beating one or at least its not a guaranteed win. If the pincers don't hit, then he can't recover.

As for Wraith, I've been thinking of its effect at the end of the game. but by that time you are probably so hurt you are losing anyway. At the beginning or mid-game it could be more powerful.

I think we have enough to finish up and post these rules (tomorrow). tonight is the band banquet...

BTW - when the rules are all done, The images for the other races are all ready for the dice browser, my online roller, and the bbcode for the games. we just need to decide when we want to pull that trigger.

also, I'm going to see if all the rules will fit on a 17 by 11. I doubt they will, but they might...
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I meant Fester....

I'll be driving to Rolla in the early A.M. to pick up Carol from college. Let's go for Sunday evening. I should be back by mid-afternoon on Sunday.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closed, move topics to 0.9 please.`
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: