SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Player Questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
live4redline
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:32 am GMT    Post subject: New Player Questions... Reply with quote

Received my Daemon Diceâ„¢ Starter Set today in the mail and I've personally refrained from too much forum pre-reading with the intent to have a fresh open the box kind of experience to the game.

My experience is a little odd as my starter set came with 17 tails which really feels as if it throws things out of wack a bit but I've been trying to make due.

My first impressions of the rules were a little confusing to say the least but it started to clear up as we played a few games.

The first issue came at Step 3. when it tells you to defend. On your first play of the game it really wasn't clear what i was defending against. I wasn't sure if it was telling my opponent to roll a defense against my attack or what. By the third or fourth turn i started to relies that you set up your attack dice at the end of the turn for your opponent to defend against during his.

Also step 3.a. talks about boosting plus's and i couldn't figure that out until about the third or forth game and I'm still unclear about some of the finer details of it. If you add a Plus to an STUN attack it boosts it right? So now the opponent now needs to use two blocks or one block and a plus of there own to prevent the damage from the STUN? The amount of the parts damaged from the stun does not change so if the attack is not blocked then only one body part is stunned, correct?

It was also a little tricky to make the separation between an ATTACK and DAMAGE which is still a little unclear with the wording from TAIL compared to LEG wherein the leg talks about "two stun attacks" and the tail says "a attack that causes two damage). If I'm understanding it correctly, both stun damages from a LEG attack can be fully blocked with one BLOCK or does it require two BLOCKS and the TAIL only requires one?

My last question is about the Initiative. It seems the winner of the initiative has a large advantage as he gets to roll his dice minus the initiative minus's of the opponent and then not defend against anything and lay out one large attack roll on the first turn. Of six games played, two were lost due to first turn rolls with the opponate taking large 10+ wounding damage. Am i doing the initiative wrong or is this simply the case of first player rolling a possible and very serious advantage?

Overall the game does seem like it could be a lot of fun and the rules although feeling very lacking on the first time down the Sequence of Play list became clearer and clearer the more times you followed it down through the turns. I would also possibly suggest maybe considering adding a diagram to the starter rules to give players and idea of where dice should be sitting on the table. The left and right directions were helpful but it wasn't until I reviewed the proposed demo mats did i get a full overview of the suggested play format.

P.S: Is there a downloadable version of the starter rule sheet that is printed front and back and included in the starter box? I would like to print out a second copy?

Also a special thanks to everyone involved. Smile
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:56 am GMT    Post subject: Re: New Player Questions... Reply with quote

live4redline wrote:
My experience is a little odd as my starter set came with 17 tails which really feels as if it throws things out of wack a bit but I've been trying to make due.

Wow, that's a pretty skewed distribution you got there. Shocked

Quote:
Also step 3.a. talks about boosting plus's and i couldn't figure that out until about the third or forth game and I'm still unclear about some of the finer details of it. If you add a Plus to an STUN attack it boosts it right?

Right.

Quote:
So now the opponent now needs to use two blocks or one block and a plus of there own to prevent the damage from the STUN?

Correct.

Quote:
The amount of the parts damaged from the stun does not change so if the attack is not blocked then only one body part is stunned, correct?

Correct.

Quote:
It was also a little tricky to make the separation between an ATTACK and DAMAGE which is still a little unclear with the wording from TAIL compared to LEG wherein the leg talks about "two stun attacks" and the tail says "a attack that causes two damage). If I'm understanding it correctly, both stun damages from a LEG attack can be fully blocked with one BLOCK or does it require two BLOCKS and the TAIL only requires one?

I believe the rules included in the initial starters are a bit out of date, and more changes are being considered.
Tail and Leg both generate a two stun attack. The Leg can be stopped with a Block, Deflect, or Shell. A Tail, however, can be stopped with a Deflect, Dodge, or Shell. In either case you only need one (unless it was boosted).

Quote:
My last question is about the Initiative. It seems the winner of the initiative has a large advantage as he gets to roll his dice minus the initiative minus's of the opponent and then not defend against anything and lay out one large attack roll on the first turn. Of six games played, two were lost due to first turn rolls with the opponate taking large 10+ wounding damage. Am i doing the initiative wrong or is this simply the case of first player rolling a possible and very serious advantage?

Yes, the winner of the initiative roll does have a big advantage.

Quote:
P.S: Is there a downloadable version of the starter rule sheet that is printed front and back and included in the starter box? I would like to print out a second copy?

I believe you can find a link to the current lastest rules in the rules discussion area.
live4redline
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i better understand how everything works i have one more question...

Quote:
Stinger: The Stinger initially counts as a stun attack. If that attack is not defended, the Stinger breaks off and injects poison into your victim. The Stinger is immediately considered wounded. On each subsequent turn during "Suffer Stuns & Wounds", the victim will suffer a stun from poison. When applying the damage from the poison effect, the victim can choose to suffer a wound instead of a stun to end the poison effect. Note: Multiple Stinger attacks cause separate poison damage.

I don't have a stinger but in the stinger text. It says "counts as a stun attack" and if not defended the stinger is wounded and victim is poisoned. The next turn is when the poison effect takes place but does the victim also take the stun damage this turn from the unblocked attack? I want to say no as it "counts as a stun" and is in fact NOT a stun attack. So an uncountered STINGER has no damaging effect on the victim until the next turn, correct?
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

live4redline wrote:
I don't have a stinger but in the stinger text. It says "counts as a stun attack" and if not defended the stinger is wounded and victim is poisoned. The next turn is when the poison effect takes place but does the victim also take the stun damage this turn from the unblocked attack?

Yes.

The stinger is likely to be changed, so this is probably a moot issue.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pi answered most of the questions, so I'll just comment on the other thread.

live4redline wrote:
So an uncountered STINGER has no damaging effect on the victim until the next turn, correct?

Just to make it perfectly clear, this is the part that is incorrect. it IS a stun and you would take it immediately. If the phrase 'count as' is confusing I'll avoid using it.

I was also trying to avoid using the terms 'stun attack' and 'stun damage', it seems I didn't succeed...

As Pi mentioned, this first small printing of starters had a rule sheet and we are tweaking it for the large printing of starters. I agree a diagram would be helpful, It's just making it fit w/o having to lap over onto a 3rd page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Daemon Dice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: