SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Army building help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisbogert
common

japan.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:01 am GMT    Post subject: Army building help Reply with quote

Hi all,
I would like your guys opinion on good armies to make with what I have.
Right now I have the four first races: one of each rare (except wyvern rider), two of each uncommon, and four of each common. I do have extras of some of them. I don't have any of the monsters for those armies.
I have a selection of Eldarim and a few Dragonkin.
Two dragons of each basic color and all the different basic terrain dice (except the newer ones which I only have a few).
and some magic items and two artifacts.
I also have an okay selection of frostwings (from three or four kickers I think) and some firewalkers.

So with that what is a good army to make for each race?

I have been using generally three types of units to make up the armies. For example magic users and heavy melee with the magic users also maybe containing cavalry units. Getting the heavy melee into a good position to smash the opponent and either keeping the terrain at a magic using distance or quickly trying to take the eight face with the magic user/cavalry group, and casting lots of magic.

I really only get to play with very beginners (just using my dice) once in a while, or play against myself to see what works.

I really like this game. I have made a bunch of custom stuff for it; a playing board like the one in that Battlebox made way back when, spell cards for each race (well at least the ones I have). Terrain disks that go under the terrain dice just to show a picture of what it looks like to be there. I also made a map and have been writing up a bunch of fluff based on the info I could find and some stuff I made up.

Thanks for any ideas and help.
Chris
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi chris,
I can't really help you in army construction as i'm on the same boat as you.

I don't play much, and when i play is with my 5 year old son... and I only use my dice.

I think it's not easy to answer your question (as it is the same I have), one thing we can do is play against other player with different armies than ours. So we can experiment with army constructions and check the flaws on the field.

Would you like to have a forum match against me? I should warn you: I'm still a beginner, and I will make mistakes. But at least I'll be in good faith Smile

Also, I haven't run the board before, but we can try to see what happen if I do.

Ah, I'm in Italy, this means GMT+1 and of course I'll work during the day, so I'll be able to post just in the night. But in my experience this gives you enough time to think to your move, although the match will go on for several days Smile

if you are in, I'll make up an army.

ciao,
Danilo
chrisbogert
common

japan.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I suppose. I have no idea how to work the online game.. How many points? 36?
I'm probably even more of a beginner than you. I'm sure I'll make lots of mistakes too.
Lets give it a shot.
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisbogert wrote:
Yeah I suppose. I have no idea how to work the online game.. How many points? 36?
I'm probably even more of a beginner than you. I'm sure I'll make lots of mistakes too.
Lets give it a shot.

I'd say a 36 point game, I don't have any dragonkin so I won't bring them, I'll take some minor terrain as I've used them only once, and it rolled a disaster right-away - LOL - so I'd like to see them in action.
I will tell you my army in the online game forum post, which I'll do during today (I need to build my army and I'm at work now)

until later,
Danilo
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Army building help Reply with quote

chrisbogert wrote:
I don't have any of the monsters for those armies.

Most of the monsters aren't worth playing anyway, so no real loss there, although you might look to trade for some Trolls.

Quote:
I have a selection of Eldarim and a few Dragonkin.

I don't care for Eldarim, but I know others do. No reason to pass up Dragonkin though.

Quote:
Two dragons of each basic color and all the different basic terrain dice (except the newer ones which I only have a few).

Dragons can be used in a couple of different strategies. You might want to take drakes, if you want to know that the dragons are temporary, you might want Wymrs if you want to see some tail-spam, and sometimes you want to take weaker dragons in off colors (like green Drakes) so your opponent can't use them against you. All depends on your army.

Quote:
and some magic items and two artifacts.

Which items/artifacts?

Quote:
So with that what is a good army to make for each race?

I can get into this at the end of my post. See later.

Quote:
I have been using generally three types of units to make up the armies. For example magic users and heavy melee with the magic users also maybe containing cavalry units. Getting the heavy melee into a good position to smash the opponent and either keeping the terrain at a magic using distance or quickly trying to take the eight face with the magic user/cavalry group, and casting lots of magic.

This game heavily, heavily rewards min-maxing. If you split your mages with half-magic and half-cavalry, you won't do either well. Dedicate two armies, then you can combine them to push an 8.

With Goblins, they are very fast and have some decent magic. Skip missiles. Take cavalry and light melee as one half of your army and mages as the other half. You will want 3 Leopard Riders if you can get them (or use Filchers if you can't), and 3 Death Mages with your magic half. Fill in the remaining slots with commons and uncommons.

Make sure you win the horde roll and make sure you have Swamplands. Use the Cavalry/melee army to push one terrain to an 8, and use your mages as support (either at a terrain with magic or from reserves with defensive magic and resurrection. Once you have an 8, bring the mages there and get out all your Dragonkin to defend them. Throw Transmute Rock to Mud (TRtM) at your opponents and walk your Cavalry to an easy win.

Don't forget you can TRtM on a 7th face, then Path a unit over there to steal the win. Also Open Grave can really save your day, and Deadlands will allow your mages to double IDs for black magic.

Dwarves follow a similar strategy, but you have access to Burning Hands for your hard-hitters, as well as Dancing Lights to stop your opponent's mages or archers. Use Wizards for Cantrip with your mages and Mammoth Riders or Skirmishers for your Cavalry/melee half. You still have TRtM and Path, so use them as needed. Same basic strategy as Goblins.

I don't play elves, so I'm not much use there. Good luck!
chrisbogert
common

japan.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice.
I already posted my army for the online game... don't know if I'll do very good, but first try so will be concentrating on not messing up the rules more than winning.
Next time I will give that goblin army you detailed a shot.

As for magic items/artifacts I have: 1 gold flying carpet, 1 blue mithril shield, 1 red wooden targe, 1 red eyebiter, 1 green trueflyer, 1 black mithril shield, 1 black dragon staff

I like the dragon staff, but mainly because it looks cool. It seems like a good artifact though.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisbogert wrote:
I like the dragon staff, but mainly because it looks cool. It seems like a good artifact though.

It's a solid item. Black dragons are super powerful, and it rerolls which means you can get some pretty awesome rolls out of it.

You can also give it to an army of Amazon mages and use it to cast Deadlands, which then gives the entire army access to black magic.

Fun stuff!
chrisbogert
common

japan.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds cool.
I'll give it a try next time I play.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your avatar... Coral elves might be your race.

If you use your Giant at home with the Mithril Shield...
plus an Eldarim champion, You might be able to make a stand.

I like the gryphon as well.

As fas as Uncommon... I really like the Knight (CE)
he good to carry (via gryphon to your coastland home)
So the horde might be a Gryphon/knight.

If using magic...the CE have some nice options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: