SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips, Tricks, and Secrets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

piMaster wrote:
Fade? No, use a medallion to cast Hide.
even better and avoids the issue of what type of damage the thorns cause...
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

102nd reciprocal to trick 61stNEW
see 61st:
http://sfr-inc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=24386#24386

Wilding/Flamming Armor

Can be done with a bronze medallion solely.

I've posted this as it's the reciprocal to the quadruple melee combo,
basically it's quadruple saves.

However,
Chuck seemed to have this cool anti bash move with just wilding.

I've actually seen Chuck debunk his own wilding attack (6 damage) which was bashed...

and he used his 2 saves (doubled/wilding) and absorbed the rest of the damage. So his rare unit survived 6 damage.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

103rd: Different Editions

Tip

If using more than one of any same die,
here's a tip to help game play:

Include a different edition die in your army,
This way you can roll all your dice at the same time,
instead of making a separate individual roll for marked dice...
ie...buring hands.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

104th: Point of No Return

We all have seen regen/gold medallion armies.
There is a "Point of No Return" however.
I think the key is in burial, and persistent die targeting.

If you can kill/bury enough units,
the rebuild process simply is too weak to overcome the die elimination process.
I've seen Gold medallions fail to work, and eventually the army is decimated.

In timed games however,
the gold medallion seems to have a better chance as games don't play out to the bitter end,
so the balance of health can swing a bit more without the danger of a total collapse.

Driving the armies to the reserves helps too, to stifle the gold medallion.
I tend to either ignore a regen army by focusing my efforts in other facets of the game,
or I go for the "Point of No Return".
Oyvind
dragonfoal

norway.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

piMaster wrote:
Teleport to Victory: You have your army at an eighth face and are trying to capture a terrain currently at a seven. You roll for magic and get Teleport, Firewalking, or Ferry. Use the SAI to instantly move some units to the terrain (thus forming a new army), then continue with your magic action to cast Wind Walks on your new army and possibly Transmute Rock to Muds on your opponents.

I didn't think that was possible. I thought the army already had to be formed at the time the dice were rolled for the magic action.
1,275 Dragon Diceâ„¢ have found their way into my collection, one of which is now officially discontinued. These are also the dice that I want at the moment. I'll happily trade some promos/originals for their reprint versions. If you're looking for some of these, willing to trade reprints for them, contact me for a list!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyvind wrote:
I didn't think that was possible. I thought the army already had to be formed at the time the dice were rolled for the magic action.

The target of the spell has to exist. If you look at path:
Quote:
Path Casting Cost: 4 Spell List: Basic
Target any of your units at any terrain. Immediately move the target unit to any other terrain. Multiple castings target multiple units.

Notice it targets the terrain and that does exist. Using path to create a new army is even in some of the examples in the rulebook.

There is a common tactic among players called 'turtling'. this means moving all your units to one terrain. This is disruptive because it almost requires the opponent to do the same thing. A smaller army will statically lose to a larger army.

Holding one terrain doesn't win you the game, so using path to go out and 'steal' a 2nd face in a single turn is a common tactic.

It has been a complain for a long time, but that will be addressed.
Oyvind
dragonfoal

norway.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
Oyvind wrote:

The target of the spell has to exist. If you look at path:
Quote:
Target any of your units at any terrain. Immediately move the target unit to any other terrain. Multiple castings target multiple units.

Notice it targets the terrain and that does exist. Using path to create a new army is even in some of the examples in the rulebook.

There is a common tactic among players called 'turtling'. this means moving all your units to one terrain. This is disruptive because it almost requires the opponent to do the same thing. A smaller army will statically lose to a larger army.

Holding one terrain doesn't win you the game, so using path to go out and 'steal' a 2nd face in a single turn is a common tactic.

It has been a complain for a long time, but that will be addressed.

Maybe I miss something, but when he rolled for magic, could he place the wind walk (which targets an army, if I'm not mistaken) on the newly created army? I mean, when he rolled for magic, he couldn't target that army, because it didn't exist. I thought we handled the spells in order for convenience' sake. I thought all the spells you cast with one single magic action were supposed to happen simultaneously. You said it yourself, "The target of the spell has to exist". I read that as "at the time of the magic action", in which case this tactic wouldn't work, but I may be wrong. I hope you can clarify, because this isn't clear to me.
1,275 Dragon Diceâ„¢ have found their way into my collection, one of which is now officially discontinued. These are also the dice that I want at the moment. I'll happily trade some promos/originals for their reprint versions. If you're looking for some of these, willing to trade reprints for them, contact me for a list!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyvind wrote:

Maybe I miss something, but when he rolled for magic, could he place the wind walk (which targets an army, if I'm not mistaken) on the newly created army? I mean, when he rolled for magic, he couldn't target that army, because it didn't exist. I thought we handled the spells in order for convenience' sake. I thought all the spells you cast with one single magic action were supposed to happen simultaneously. You said it yourself, "The target of the spell has to exist". I read that as "at the time of the magic action", in which case this tactic wouldn't work, but I may be wrong. I hope you can clarify, because this isn't clear to me.

ok, my bad. I misread what you were replying to. not path to victory, but teleport to victory.

So here is the distinction. The target must exist at the time that the spells are announced. which is just SLIGHTLY after the start of the action. So breaking it down you have these rough steps.

Start of the action
Roll the dice
Resolve instant effects and SAIs (i.e. rerolling)
Resolve special sai (things like teleport)
resolve normal sai (i.e. cloak or cantrip for a magic roll)
apply modifiers
Count your magic points
announce spells (targets must exist)
resolve in any order

The reason this trick works is that Teleport resolves after the start of the action, but before the spells are announced. so by the time the spells are announced the teleport has resolved and the army does exist.

is that better?
Oyvind
dragonfoal

norway.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
Oyvind wrote:

ok, my bad. I misread what you were replying to. not path to victory, but teleport to victory.

So here is the distinction. The target must exist at the time that the spells are announced. which is just SLIGHTLY after the start of the action. So breaking it down you have these rough steps.

Start of the action
Roll the dice
Resolve instant effects and SAIs (i.e. rerolling)
Resolve special sai (things like teleport)
resolve normal sai (i.e. cloak or cantrip for a magic roll)
apply modifiers
Count your magic points
announce spells (targets must exist)
resolve in any order

The reason this trick works is that Teleport resolves after the start of the action, but before the spells are announced. so by the time the spells are announced the teleport has resolved and the army does exist.

is that better?

Aha! Thanks, yes, much better! I obviously need to read through the rules again (I read the rules when the latest update came out, but some things have clearly escaped my memory).
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Path has changed...

Target any of your units at any terrain. Immediately move the targeted unit to any other terrain where you have an army. Multiple castings target multiple units.

END OF TIPS AND TRICKS

NEW
TIPS AND TRICKS II

TIPS AND TRICKS III*

*awaiting 3.0 rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: