SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon Dice™ 3.0 Rules - July 1st,2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggsaladsandwich wrote:
"Amazons may only cast Elemental Spells from reserves."
I assume this is a typo and should read "may not cast Spells from reserves"?
If not , what color elemental spells can they cast? Thanks Neutral

This is actually correct. The Elemental Spells don't have a specific color so they may be cast with any color or in this case without color.

The Amazons are playing with Magic at home now and have very limited spells they may case. Luckily both of their racial spells are in the Elemental group.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluewizard wrote:

The Amazons are playing with Magic at home now and have very limited spells they may case. Luckily both of their racial spells are in the Elemental group.

I think you meant to say reserves, not home. They could always cast from home. From reserves is the change.

And thanks to whoever for costing their racials at 3 points. The Oracle is a good unit now!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggsaladsandwich wrote:
"Amazons may only cast Elemental Spells from reserves."
I assume this is a typo and should read "may not cast Spells from reserves"?
If not , what color elemental spells can they cast? Thanks Neutral
Nope not a mistake. They cast "Amazon" color spells in reserves, so they can only cast 3 Elemental spells in reserves.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoesan wrote:
bluewizard wrote:

I think you meant to say reserves, not home. They could always cast from home. From reserves is the change.

And thanks to whoever for costing their racials at 3 points. The Oracle is a good unit now!

Sorry the home was a reference to being in reserves as reserves is where you reinforce from a theme perspective or your home. I really shouldn't make jokes I guess.
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluewizard wrote:
I have no problem with folks thinking of it as an analogy. It isn't quite a Level concept so to say though. Some do getting large dice. Some only effect a die of a certain size. The problem is the effecting a die of a certain size is more of a strategic thing than a leveling up in my mind.

It is a very interesting concept to think about though.

Are you saying that some spells target specific unit sizes, and these are problematic using the level concept? Is there a specific spell that could be used to illustrate the problem?

The idea of a spell level makes it simpler for me to think strategically, whether it amplifies the spell or affects a specific unit size. As a litmus test, I played the new rules with my kids. They just didn't get the "X". I suggested they think about it as a spell level and it was easy going.

I'm having hard time finding a spell that can't adapt to the level concept. Examples:
- Finger of Death: ...Inflict 1 point of damage per spell level to the target unit with no save possible.
- Hailstorm: ...Inflict 1 point of damage per spell level to the target army.
- Mirage: ...Each unit with health equal to the spell level at the target terrain must generate a save or flee to its reserve area.
- Scent of Fear: ...1 health-worth per spell level of units in the target army must flee to its reserve area.
- Fearful Flames: ...Inflict 1 point of damage per spell level on the target unit...
- Firebolt: ...Inflict 1 point of damage per spell level to the target unit.
- Firestorm: ...Inflict 2 points of damage per spell level to each army at the target terrain.
- Resurrect Dead: Target a unit with health-worth equal to the spell level from your Dead Unit Area...
- Rise of the Eldarim: ...Target unit is promoted with health equal to the spell level.
- Summon Dragonkin: Target a summoning pool Dragonkin unit with health-worth equal to the spell level...
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly Mirage as it changes the unit health-worth being effected. It does not increase in value to be a specific value and those before it.

I personally look as level to be a certain spell I have access as a character progresses so don't think of this the same way.

I am glad that the analogy works with your family. This will be something we will discuss.
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAI's ----- Are they affected by spells now? I don't see the blurb that's been in the previous rule versions preventing spells from affecting the normal results of SAI's.

Example: Frostwing's Fly and Bull's eye are now affected by ash storm?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in there, just in a different place.

if you look at the order of modifiers for counting a roll there is a specific place that you count results from SAI's. Since that comes after most of the modifiers, they are not affected as they hadn't been counted yet.

one change to note is that non-sai results from Items (like speed slippers) used to un-modify-able, but now are.
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBrauser wrote:
SAI's ----- Are they affected by spells now? I don't see the blurb that's been in the previous rule versions preventing spells from affecting the normal results of SAI's.

Example: Frostwing's Fly and Bull's eye are now affected by ash storm?

They are not.

That rule isn't needed anymore with how things are applied.

Looking at Calculate Roll Results SAIs are applied after modifiers that subtract.
Ash storm is a modifier that subtracts so it will be first then SAIs.

So in effect the same thing happenes and spells don't modify SAIs it's just worded differently.

I hope that helps.
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I see that now, and was coming to edit my message. I made the mistake of reading through and asking my question based on the graphical manual, which I now see is missing several things still than from the non graphical manual.

I now understand that the nongraphical is king. I was about to ask too about why there was no longer a restriction on how many magic casters you could bring but then decided to check the NG rules and saw it was still their just missing at the moment from the prettier one. Smile

I like the format layout of the SFRGRAPHICALRULEBOOK but I better not depend on it at the moment for rule lawyer'ing until it catches up.

So looking at how the dice are resolved and racial abilities are second to last, the firewalker's counter icons generate BOTH SAVES and MELEE results during a dragon attack can convert the SAVES to MELEE to hit the dragon for 2 points per counter icon?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBrauser wrote:

I like the format layout of the SFRGRAPHICALRULEBOOK but I better not depend on it at the moment for rule lawyer'ing until it catches up.
I like it too, but it is still considered draft (i.e. not done).
I've just been so busy I haven't been able to get to it yet.

Quote:

So looking looking at how the dice are resolved and racial abilities are second to last, the firewalker's counter icons generate BOTH SAVES and MELEE results during a dragon attack can convert the SAVES to MELEE to hit the dragon for 2 points per counter icon?

There was a mistake on the firewalkers ability that is getting fixed in the next revision. it is supposed to be just the save icon and not any SAI saves.
Cat
dragonsteed

luxembourg.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple bullet-point list of changes to look for from the last edition would be most helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: