SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WE HAVE A Dragon Dice™ APP!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like a DragonDice app for use during game play?
YES! And I'd buy it from the app stores
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
YES! And I'd contribute to Kickstarter if it meant it was free on app stores
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Undecided, I'd like a better explanation of what this is for or what it can do.
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
NO. I have not smart devices to run any apps on
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
NO. I see no value in this app, flipping through a printed manual is enough for me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Users Voted : 27
Total Votes : 27
This poll has expired.
Detailed Results/Undo Votes

willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBrauser wrote:
We do not want the Dragon Dice™™ pc game in tablet form. Had that game been better written and executed back in the day it would have killed dice sales. People tend to prefer playing solitaire, (and mahjongg solitaire) on a computer than using real cards and tiles. They cannot cheat and don't really have to remember all the rules if the program keeps them in line.

I think this is a wrongheaded view of the matter. Given how regularly Dungeons and Dragons players buy perfectly ordinary d20s and other dice, differing only in color (and perceived "luckiness") from those they already own, in large quantities and at elevated individual prices...I don't think there's any danger that physical Dragon Dice™ would lose their magic due to competition from virtual ones....at least not for anyone who perceives them as having any magic (and that's a fairly short list, so I don't blame you for erring on the side of caution about losing even one, but I still don't think the odds are high that you'd lose anyone who isn't already lost).

Computer games offer delights that no physical object can (for instance built-in theme music, which was definitely one of the best parts of that old game...I still remember it fondly), but there's always going to be something about a physical object that you can hold in your hand. To say nothing of the possibility of a future EMP apocalypse, however unlikely, destroying all our technology...while having an app entirely replace the physical rulebook, so that people can no longer remember the rules at all, is a risk, I believe it is counterbalanced by a sunnier prospect. Namely, that having easy *access* to the rules, and the ability to play the game more frequently in general (without having to tote a heavy physical collection on long trips, or find a fairly large table), will result in players more easily *memorizing* the rules through frequent consultation. I've observed this tendency often enough in my own life - the more often you look something up, the sooner you stop having to (and if you're looking it up in a book, you have to waste time turning pages and scanning for the right section, prior to any actual learning/reference occurring, so you just plain have less time in your life to do the good stuff).

TL;DR - just go ahead and make a playable computer game, if you can. It won't kill Dragon Dice™ any deader than it's already been.
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
marcus1679
dragonmount
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents on the subject.

I recently (@ a week ago) checked to see if there was an existing app for Dragon Dice™. I did not find one obviously.

I would like one to be made and, yes, I would pay for one. Otherwise I would help fund a kickstarter for it if one possibility was to get it for free.

I am of an old school mindset where I prefer physical copies of books over electronic versions. However, I do see the appeal for such an app, especially in today's techy society and would use it myself.

I did not see this suggested, so I will put it out there. I would like the app to have a way of saving an army list you make so you can easily build it again for future use. Maybe make it so each person can save up to 5 lists (the number is just an arbitrary one; not meant to be the final/definitive number).
TecnoSmurf
dragonmount

germany.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules and specific spell cards are awesome. What I really want and would pay for is an army builder in addition to the functionality that is there already.
That'll be awesome. For a kickstarter I fear there is no chance that it'll work, due to lack of a full game. Who would back an app where you have to buy hundreds of Dollars worth of dice just to play a descent game? Truth... no one.

Combine the army builder with a full game and you might even generate new players. Smile
Drachenwürfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the old PC game, and even it was simple, I loved it.
A new versio would be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: