SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snow Day mini-games!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Snow Day mini-games! Reply with quote

A major nor'easter, as we say here in New England, cancelled school today, so that my nephew and I had plenty of time to play some mini-games. Keeping with the winter theme, we included Frostwings in several of the games. I think we came up with some really interesting scenarios, so stay tuned for the results. I'll have to post them when I have more time.
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I promise to get to this soon. The results were interesting and the themes/scenarios were fun and fairly creative. Soon, I promise... Wink
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow Day Mini-game 1

Scenario: The Shadowlands are the stage for a fierce battle! Two major Frostwing tribes, one closely allied with Death, the other shunning the black arts in favor of the more flighty blue element, Air. The Ice Wind tribe, led by a mighty vindicator, Kagen, who leads his forces against the Black Bone tribe, led by a horrible frost ogre named Guglin, who seeks to turn the landscape black with death. Who will win? The outcome could the fate of the Shadowlands, and perhaps the entire world, forever.

Rules: Mini game rules, with the following exceptions: Ice Wind tribe only uses blue magic, Black Bone tribe only uses black magic.

Forces:

Ice Wind (me)
Vindicator x1 3hp (leader)
Cryohydra x1 4 hp
Devastator x1 3 hp
Assaulter x1 2hp
Dispatcher x1 2hp
Wolf Master x1 2hp
Magus x1 2hp
Attacker x2 2hp
Destroyer x1 1hp
Hound Master x1 1hp
Apprentice x2 2hp
Total 24hp
Terrain = Flatland Temple
Minor Terrain = Flatland Bridge
Dragon = Blue Wyrm
Dragonkin = Blue only

Black Bone (nephew)
Frost Ogre x1 4hp (Leader)
Vindicator x1 3hp
Assaulter x1 3hp
Dispatcher x2 4hp
Wolf Master x1 2hp
Magus x1 2hp
Advocate x2 2hp
Attacker x1 1 hp
Hound Master x1 1hp
Apprentice x2 2hp
Total 24hp
Terrain = Flatland Tower
Minor Terrain = Flatland Knoll
Dragon = Black Drake
Dragonkin = Black only

Stay tuned for the results!
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, having each side in a "civil war" side with one element of magic. That could have some intriguing possibilities with other races.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow Day Mini-game 1

As the two armies face off on the icy plains, the Ice Wind tribe draws the Black Bone tribe into their terrain. The mighty frost ogre, Guglin, orders his troops to attack with their frozen ice weapons. (Initial roll won by IW, 10-7, chooses flatland temple, allowing opponent to go first. Terrain roll lands on 3 missle.)

Many of the Black Bone ice spears strike home! One uncommon and four common troops of the Ice Wind tribe are now frozen corpses, their blood blackening the ice. The Winds were somewhat shocked, but defiant, and struck back with their own deadly missle strike, but as luck would have it, they performed poorly, and caused no damage! (BB rolls 12 missles, mostly faces, and IW rolls 6 saves. On IW turn, they roll only 4, and 5 saves are enough to protect the enemy. How disappointing. Maybe choosing not ot go first hurt me here?)

Smelling cold blood, Guglin orders his troops to launch another missle attack, this time picking off only one unlucky common straggler. The Ice Winds try to close in, but are outflanked. so they launch their own missle attack instead, but no damage is done to their vile enemies. (BB rolls 9 missles to 8 saves, thank you cryohydra, and in the return volley IW rolls 7 missle, again cryohydra face, and BB rolls 9 saves. A beautiful missle roll, including bullseye was wasted during my initial futile attempt to maneuver. Things were not going well for me.

Finding success at this range, Black Bones attacks again, though first a spell is woven by the frost ogre. As if they didn't have enough troubles, palsy strikes the Ice Wind tribe, hindering their effectiveness. Ice missle pick off two uncommon troops, leaving the IW severly undermanned. Again, their maneuvers and missles fail to make any difference. (Cantrip, followed by another HUGE face roll for nephew! I lose 4 more hp and my attack is futile, and another maneuver attampt fell far short.

This time, the Ice Wind rally and stop any of the deadly ice picks from causing them harm, though their attack is equally as useless. (Basically two save rolls exceeding the damage done. A lot of fly icons.)

Still not budging, Guglins troops launch their missles once again, killing all, except a lone Devastator, the leader of the tribe was also killed during this exchange, and the mighty ogre, Guglin, took his pelt as a trophy. Showing no fear, the Devastator continued to fight, though his attack was easily defended. (I should have given up when the 14 points of missle destroyed my pathetic army, but hey, I'm stubborn!)

Almost as a slap in the face, Guglin weaves another palsy spell and missles cut down the lone survivor of the Ice Wind tribe, who are now wiped out!

Analysis: Maybe I should have conceded the terrain to go first? Sounds logical now. Nephew got much better rolls, though my initial decision was costly. I'm noticing now that this mini-game format may level the field for beginners, as the dice rolls are far more important than strategy once the game starts. In a three terrain game, my shifting and maneuvering of troops gave me a 90% win rate against my nephew, while he has been winning more in these mini-games.

Any thoughts?
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowland civil war rematch: (Yes, I'm a sore loser. Evil or Very Mad )

The Ice Winds take the initiative after outmaneuvering their opponents and move into enemy territory. They launch deadly ice picks, killing three common troops, who fall dead in the snow, impaled by ice. (Initial roll won, chose this time to go first, terrain roll 2 missle. Attack with missle causing 11-8 missle/save ratio, killing three commons.)

The crafty ogre orders his troops to fall back, and the army weaves death magic against its enemies. (Some confusion here as how to proceed, had to consult rules, and prayed we got it right. Nephew rolled 2hp magic icons and 3hp id icons for a total of 5. Nephew buries 3hp of own troops to double 3 to 6, and making a total of 8. Then, I rolled to negate, and of course, GOT NOTHING! In any case, I hope we ordered things correctly here? Input anyone?)

The Black Bone tribe first summons two vile, black-scaled fiends (dragonkin commons) and then does the unthinkable, and warps the very earth with the foul stench of death! (Deadlands! Very interesting.)

Mortified, the Ice Winds attempt to outrun the death spell and succeed. They then rain icy missles down on the heads of their hated enemies, killing a mighty assailer and an apprentice. Their corpses lay twised and bloodied. (I maneuvered successfully to end the deadlands spell and a bullseye kills 4 hp worth of enemy.)

Enraged, Guglin orders his troops to fire missle of their own, cutting down an Ice Wind apprentice. The Ice Winds inch closer, firing more missles, but they were deflected. The Black Bones, step back, and fire missle again, but to no avail. This posturing continued for quite some time (about six rounds until terrain showed 4 for missles) until the Ice Winds launched one devastating missle attack that bloodied the Black Bone army, killing two apprentices, a dragonkin, and one of their dispatchers. The dam had finally broken! (I finally broke out with a great 15 missle to 8 save roll.)

The Black Bones continued to fight, but their numbers were diminished, and the Ice Winds closed in for the kill. (Terrain was now on 5 for melee, and I was ready for a skirmish!)

The Ice Winds attacked savagely with their axes of ice and bone, though their enemy defended valiantly and only one common was cut down. The counter attack proved deadly as the mighty cryohydra was smote down by the enemit vindicator! (Darn! I thought the hydra would have finally showed his power here in melee.)

Guglin pushed his troops to battle, but were fought off. Still outnumbering their enemy, the Ice Winds pressed their own attack, but only managed to dispach the single black dragonkin, who oozed black blood on the icy plain. The battle continued at colser range (now 6) and the Winds cut down the mighty Bone vindicator that had slain the cryohydra!

Now vastly outmuscled, Guglin wove a spell to bring back the dead, and during the counter attack, two Wind aprentices were cut down. (I forgot to attempt to negate the cantrip! Oops!)

Undaunted the Winds closed in even more (terrain 7) and chopped away, and with the help of a wolfmaster ally the mighty Wind Vindicator(whose name now escapes me, cut down Guglin the Frost Ogre, as their companions dispached all of the other troops but one lone Bone Wolfmaster, who refused, quite foolishly to give up!

In a bold move, the Wolf Master attempted to gain hold of the tower, but was thwarted easily, and his attack proved valiant, yet futile. Soon the tower was in the hands of the Ice Winds, who then tortured the poor wolfmaster with a variety of spells before ---ZAP!---polishing him off with a lightning strike! (I decline to counterattack to gain the tower and cast the spells to torture the lone master. How evil. Perhaps the Ice Wind tribe is closer to Death than they'd like to claim!)

Game over. Thoughts?
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had fun! Here's the story of my weekend's game: A horde of goblins kicked the snot out of a rag-tag army of mixed races who had strangely allied themselves when a flood washed away 1/2 of the mixed race army. Film at 11:00.

One thing, though: I don't know if you are playing SFR rules, or DCM/TSR rules, but I thought in SFR's version, you don't actually bury dead to double black magic, but only "use the energy of the dead" to double black. I could be mistaken, but I thought they just limited doubling to whatever the largest amount of HP is in any single Dead pile, without the burying. (I assume to tone down the power of black magic, especially the Undead.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: