SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules 3.0.3 Posted!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> 3.01 and later Rules Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update issued: 3.0.3a August 12 2017.

This has the corrections listed above, plus a number of other typos. "Armies" became "army's" in a number of places.

"Resolution of Die Rolls" became "Die Roll Resolution" and moved to just after "Combination Rolls", so all die rolling steps are on the same page. Yes, slightly out of alphabetic order, that was deliberate.

Swamp Stalker mutation was corrected so that only Swamp Stalker units can be recruited or promoted from the DUA (oops).

Table of Contents updated so correct page numbers are shown. PDF index corrected for some extraneous entries.

http://sfr-inc.com/Rules-3.0.3a-20170812.pdf
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 am GMT    Post subject: 3.0 Rules Reply with quote

I see no icon descriptions for Dragonkin or Magic Items, which used to be in 2.9 rules. Is this an intended omission?

Since the icon descriptions are included for each race at the back end of the rules, perhaps another page can be added that describes the Dragonkin & Magic Item icons. The other option is to insert them in their respective sections, as was done in 2.9.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: 3.0 Rules Reply with quote

dburkley wrote:
I see no icon descriptions for Dragonkin or Magic Items, which used to be in 2.9 rules. Is this an intended omission?

Since the icon descriptions are included for each race at the back end of the rules, perhaps another page can be added that describes the Dragonkin & Magic Item icons. The other option is to insert them in their respective sections, as was done in 2.9.
Dragonkin are on page 15. Is something missing from there?

The magic item SAI's are in the SAI section, but there normal icons are missing from page 19.

and adding a page to the 'races' section for them may not be uncalled for.
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:24 am GMT    Post subject: 3.0.3 Rules Reply with quote

What you indicated is true, but there are no descriptions (summary) of each type of die for the Dragonkin or Magic Items, like there are with the units of each race. The minor terrains are all described, but there are no unit summaries for the Dragonkin & Magic Items (like what all the different types are called and what their ID icons look like, which is why I thought adding a page to the end might be appropriate - and I think you picked up on that).
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icon pages added with Items and Dragonkin. Minor Terrain icons moved to end of Die Reference Section.

http://sfr-inc.com/Rules-3.0.3b-20170814.pdf
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some comments/questions. I've been looking at Version 3.0.4 (Aug 12, 2017).

Biggest question is how to bring in Minor Terrain:
Page 7 Maneuver talks about if you're successful, you can bring in a minor terrain.
Page 33 Terrains - Minor says a player can bring a minor terrain instead of making a roll to maneuver the terrain.

Typo:
Page 8 - Dead Unit Area Advantage
"Death (black) Magic may be doubled by matching the terrain or though through..."

I haven't been through the SAIs or Spells yet. I'll probably go through the spells next to catch up with the changes.
marcus1679
dragonmount
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked through the most current version of the rules and found a couple things I would like to bring to your attention.

One is page 30. It ends up as just a blank page (other than page number and such at the bottom).

The Undead racial ability (on page 22) reads as "Dead Unit Unit Advantage". I can only assume it's supposed to be "Dead Unit Area Advantage". This has been a typo(?) for a few versions of the rules.

And just for curiosity sake, why was Call Element removed? Game balance issues?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had several people giving us advice on the grammar and such. so we may do a rules update just to change those types of things.

marcus1679 wrote:

And just for curiosity sake, why was Call Element removed? Game balance issues?

partly balance, partly because the minors can now give you that ability w/o making mages required.

These changes are foundational for the next big update to racial abilities. Some races need help in that area and I think you'll like them. We are testing to make sure we don't go 'too far'.
GeoffC

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Minor Terrains Lost and Landslide faces not described? Reply with quote

Hi,

EDIT: OK it looks like the names of those faces were changed. The Dice Browser has the old names (I think they're the old names) and that was what I was searching for in the rule book. So the rule book seems fine for those faces.

I don't see Lost nor Landslide minor terrains faces described in the 3.0.3b 20170814 version of the rules.

The icons are in the icon list but on page 35 there is no description of what those do.

Geoff
shepdog69
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were replaced with "Flanked" and "Dust Storm", respectively. The pictures are on page 50
loligarchy
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were group-monster IDs removed?

I haven't been able to find any reference to this and I have a member of my group that has a great fondness for wolf packs which is in imminent peril.
If it was removed, was there a reason? It only helped underwhelming monsters.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group monsters were removed because they added a complication to the game that was not needed. Caused too many special cases.
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version of the rulebook states on page 31:
"Spell List
There are three types of spells: basic, elemental and racial. Basic are available to all races. Racial are only available to be cast by the race specified and matching color magic items in the same army."

There appear to be only 2 types of spells: basic and racial. This is true in:
1) the second sentence of that section (i.e., "Basic are available to all races. Racial are only available to be cast by the race specified and matching color magic items in the same army.") and
2) in the details of each spell (i.e., only basic and <race> appear in the Spell List attribute).

Elemental spells appear under the "Color" section, which is coincident with the rulebook's spell grouping by color.
shepdog69
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The structure does seem a bit confusing, but the "elemental spells are those that can be cat in any color.

Based on the introduction, we would expect the spells to be broken into the three sections mentioned. Doing so might actually make it easier, since the colored spells everyone can cast would be in one section, and the racial split by race, not color, for those looking for said spells.

Elemental spells could be second, since most are cast by anyone, with the racial spells separated into the racial spells section, with the color listed as "any"
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently the rules list the spells by color, and ordered by spell cost. While there are many different ways they could be indexed, the question really is what way makes it easiest to find spells?

I'm going to start a new topic about this discussion. I can see the pros and cons of ordering it different ways, but I want to find out what everyone else thinks.
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't argue the organization in the rulebook. That is another thread Chuck started. However I will argue that...

shepdog69 wrote:
The structure does seem a bit confusing, but the "elemental spells are those that can be cat in any color.

...is not confusing at all. The only trait characterizing Elemental spells is that they can be cast using any single color magic, regardless of the spell's type. There is no Elemental type (aka, Spell List). There is basic and there is racial. The spells show there is no elemental "type". Elemental is only a "color".

Therefore, I recommend the Spell List text read coincidently. Furthermore, I recommend removing the mention of color from the Spell List as it obfuscates its nature, and leave it to the color section to explain its own aspects.

For example:
"Color
There are six spell colors; Black, Blue, Green, Gold, Red, and Elemental. Single color spells (Black, Blue, Green, Gold, Red) may be cast using only matching color magic units and items from the casting army. Elemental spells may be cast using any single color magic."

"Spell List
There are two types of spells: basic and racial. Basic may be cast by any race. Racial may be cast by only the specified race."
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plural possessive:

Search "owners"

one example:

Quote:
Fearful Flames Casting Cost: 3X Spell List: Lava Elf
Target an enemy unit. Inflict X point(s) of damage on the target unit. If target unit saves, it must then roll an additional save or flees to the owners reserve area.

found a few besides this one.

END
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> 3.01 and later Rules Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: