SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Dice: "Heroes"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D341Jerman
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Custom Dice: "Heroes" Reply with quote

I have this compulsion to customize every game that I own in some way or another, so of course, I've made some of my own custom dice to add to my personal copy of the game. I call them "heroes" and each is unique (more or less-- there are a couple I have made doubles of.) I haven't play-tested them, and since I only can seem to find blank, single-color 16mm dice (no 18mm or 20mm dice, and no mixed colors) they are all single-element, 1HP units. Boring, but I like 'em all the same.

The process of making them is simple, but pretty time consuming. I use a fine-point sharpie to create thin guide lines, then engrave them out with the finest dremel head that I have. Each die takes about 15-30 minutes to fully engrave, and about another ten minutes to pick out the lines with paint. I don't have the equipment, skill or expertise to make anything close to the the level of detail we see in the official dice, but I do enjoy making these little, simple designs. What follows is a picture of some of the other faces and the dice and a photo of my custom dice side-by-side with some of the SFR dice from my collection, for comparison.

virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very creative!
D341Jerman
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I hope to find the time to make more this week or next. When I do, I'll definitely post pictures!

Perhaps the hardest part is drafting designs that are clear and that look good on 16mm die faces (a very small surface to work with!) but that utilize lines no smaller than the level of thickness of my dremel head. It's tricky, but I'm intent on doing it!

I'm also on the look out for other types of blank dice, especially in the 18mm and 20mm size, and in different color combinations, so if anyone has any ideas or leads, send them my way. One of the things I would like to do at some point, if I can find a really big blank 12-sided piece of stone or wood, is make a really large Drake.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

D341Jerman wrote:
if I can find a really big blank 12-sided piece of stone or wood, is make a really large Drake.

You mean like this one? I made this years ago and it's still in my garage.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/260240_10150210161884361_1407614_n.jpg?oh=94b0293e19f96bdc689888210a329fca&oe=5A4F87AC
D341Jerman
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
D341Jerman wrote:
if I can find a really big blank 12-sided piece of stone or wood, is make a really large Drake.

You mean like this one? I made this years ago and it's still in my garage.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/260240_10150210161884361_1407614_n.jpg?oh=94b0293e19f96bdc689888210a329fca&oe=5A4F87AC

Nice! Yeah, that looks like it would do the trick! Heck, if the wood is soft enough, one could engrave it / burn it with a soldering iron to make a pyrographic dragon! I've done similar, larger-scale projects like that before.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: