SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Looking for other players?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus1679
dragonmount
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Western NY Reply with quote

I am running into problems with getting others interested in Dragon Dice™. I have gone to the majority of local game stores and put up flyers stating I will teach (or re-teach) people how to play. I have also posted on various pages on FB stating the same info as my flyers. However, I have yet to get more than a few people interested in doing a demo.

Most of the gamers in my area play things like Magic and Warhammer (40K more so than the fantasy version). And very few of them want to try something new.

So, here's two things I am hoping for.

1) I am hoping to find others who live near me and play Dragon Dice™

2) I am asking for any kind of help to "lure" others into the game. In other words, is there more I could be doing?
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcus1679 wrote:
I am asking for any kind of help to "lure" others into the game.

The best thing you could do in these kinds of situation is getting a shady van with 'dice' written on the side. Rolling Eyes

Seriously though: the best exposure you can create is probably showing off that you are having fun playing the game. Even if it is just you and a friend playing games. Set a fixed day to play for a few hours so people can just watch for a bit without any commitment. Have fun and goof around while playing. Nothing is more inviting than people visibly having fun (though shiny dice certainly help).

At some point people can't help wandering by and asking "Huh, so what's this then?". That's when you strike! With a friendly explanation and an offer for a demo game, you can hook em in. Tell them that you are there at that fixed day and time every week, and that they are welcome to join. Have fun. Laugh, keep it light-hearted. Even better: If you can, offer the prize of a free die if they win (which, of course, they always will). Not only does this add to the feel-good moment, it also serves as a physical reminder that they can visit you next week for more fun.

Source: this is how we set up out local WoW-tcg group (the game that was later to become Hearthstone).

F
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, don't just wait for someone to show up.

sit around and play the game being silly and loud. don't try to win, just try crazy things.

people love the dice and I've never failed to get comments while playing, but I never get anyone interested if I just sit and wait for them to come by.
marcus1679
dragonmount
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

There is one thing I should clarify. I don't just wait for people to reply to my ads (the posts on FB and the flyers I have up). I am at a certain place with all my stuff; same day, same time. One problem though is that I don't always have someone to play the game with.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying bringing one person to play with and see if that helps.

or bribe someone to play with ya!
The God of Myth
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of Western NY are you in? I used to live in Rochester NY and Millennium Games was where my father and myself played Dragon Dice™ regular, they held events on the regular all the time back in the 90's.

Also does your store have any other game events that could be lured into the game such as Dice Masters or ASHES. If either I would try and see about playing on one of those days as well, you demographics will be key to luring in certain gamers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Looking for other players? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: