SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Resurrect Dead Slow Game Down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - 4.0 and Later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StaticElf

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Does Resurrect Dead Slow Game Down? Reply with quote

New player or old if I admit that last time I played this it was 1995 and I was 15?
But now coming back to the game after finding this site I have some questions.

I want to get some friends into this game but I am considering using only the original races (dwarf, fire/coral elf, goblins) and these races colored dragons with the 4.0 rules just so it isn't too overwhelming.

-Does Resurrect Dead slow the game down? Thematically shouldn't this be an Undead spell only?

-Do things like items and White Dragons tip the game severely if only one person brings them (and has brought the magic power to cast them in case of White Dragon)

Thanks for any help with these questions and I hope to see if I can bring about a small group here in OKC.

+++Static Out+++
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrect Dead can slow the game down, but usually in a good way. If early in the game, you have a bad roll, and lose a lot of your units, you have a chance to bring those units back, and then go back at it. Otherwise, one bad roll and it's game over.

Normally I'd suggest that unless everyone has access to items, you shouldn't allow them. However, since items are so specialized, you may not be getting that big of an advantage using them.

As for White Dragons, don't forget, you can with the right color of magic summon any dragon at the table, including your opponent's dragons. So if someone brings a White Dragon, with enough magic, anyone can summon it.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

StaticElf,

I am just a player. Keep that in mind. But my opinion is that the only real expansions, or additions or variations to your armies, if you will, that would tip the scales are Dragonkin and Minor Terrains. Everything else just add options. Dragonkin and Minor terrains I would limit to, everyone has them or no one does. But with Magic Items, they add variations but they do not make your army stronger, just changes how you field them and the strats involved.

Items, White Dragons and mixing different races or even newer races, they are just options. They offer diversity, but not superiority. And in my opinion, a newer race, such as Firewalkers or Undead, are no more or less complicated than the original races. Once you learn the flow of the game, any race is equally as simple and complex as another and nothing changes about the rules. Mostly, each race has 2 racial abilities. Even the oringal races compared to each other, are unique from each other. Adding newer races does not change that. You do introduce new SAIs, but no more or less than say, Goblins over Coral Elves.
StaticElf

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood Skawilly!

I will be adding in the other races I'm sure but not until we get the game down with these "starter" races. As a long time Vampire Counts Warhammer Fantasy player I do want to expand to some Undead but it will be slowly to ensure people don't start feel they now have to blow hundreds of dollars for new dice just to stay competitive (this isn't MTG lol). I hope to have enough dice from my 1995 stash (this is why you never through anything out!) and some targeted purchases from SFR to allow 4-6 players to build the forces they want to try out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - 4.0 and Later All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: