SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon Diceā„¢ Twitch Feed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Dragon Diceā„¢ Twitch Feed? Reply with quote

It seems many games have Twitch feeds, including MtG, chess, go, and other board games. I was wondering if we should set up a Twitch feed to run demos and games as an way to broaden the exposure of Dragon Diceā„¢ in the gaming world.

Anyone have any thoughts about this idea?

Thanks,
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, I never understood Twitch, I much prefer playing rather than watching, but there might be some merit in opening a Dragon Diceā„¢ channel
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this to "On-line games".
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
nathan2019

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of us over on the Dragon Diceā„¢ Facebook group are throwing some ideas around like this. We recently blog-published our first match between two players via Messenger, but are looking for ways to expand on this idea, get more players involved, etc.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:40 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Dragon Diceā„¢ā„¢ Twitch Feed? Reply with quote

DScottOBrien wrote:
Myself, I never understood Twitch, I much prefer playing rather than watching, but there might be some merit in opening a Dragon Diceā„¢ā„¢ channel

I hear what you're saying, and I say the same whether it's board games, video games, or sports. I'd much rather play than watch. But there are lots of people who watch sports or Chess or other games. In the past couple of weeks I've actually started watching Twitch. The biggest fix is watching something I can't play is almost as good as playing it myself. Sometimes watching I'll learn something I didn't know before that I can use when I play. In the past, I've usually watched when I have some interest in a video game, but not enough to seek out playing it. Either it's so old and hasn't aged that it wouldn't be fun to play anymore, or I don't want to spend 80 hours playing through a game so I'll watch a 20 hour speed run on 2x playback speed.

It's not for everyone, but there are uses for it for sure. And the community around channels is useful because it's like a giant audience that gets to talk together and collaborate. So it becomes more than just watching one or two guys play a game.

nathan2019 wrote:
A couple of us over on the Dragon Diceā„¢ā„¢ Facebook group are throwing some ideas around like this. We recently blog-published our first match between two players via Messenger, but are looking for ways to expand on this idea, get more players involved, etc.

I think I saw the post. I'm looking it up now (found it) since I didn't watch it. I've done webcam games in the past and I've said I'd be down for doing it again soon. Maybe soon can be very soon!

MikeD wrote:
It seems many games have Twitch feeds, including MtG, chess, go, and other board games. I was wondering if we should set up a Twitch feed to run demos and games as an way to broaden the exposure of Dragon Diceā„¢ā„¢ in the gaming world.

Anyone have any thoughts about this idea?

Thanks,

I like the idea. I've recently started a Twitch stream, mostly for tinkering and experimentation. I would be happy to add Dragon Diceā„¢ as something I stream when I play. It won't be easy, but it's definitely possible. The more the community gets involved, the more likely it'll be to succeed. I'll make a separate post with thoughts about how this would work and obstacles to overcome.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This started out organized and then turned into a messy stream of consciousness post. Sorry about that.

Is anybody down for a webcam livestreamed game on Tuesday April 30th around 7pm Pacific Time? (GMT -7)

Objective
The goal is to create more Dragon Diceā„¢ exposure. You propose to accomplish that through live streaming gameplay and streaming it over Twitch as a medium.

Gameplay
The most important thing to do this is to play live games and have them recorded and streamed over Twitch (or other medium like Youtube). Live commentary during gameplay, either from the player(s) or from live commentators would help engage the community and make it more exciting than just quietly watching some dice be rolled.

The live portion could either be a digital implementation of the game or webcams over the physical game.

Digital implementation could be Tabletop Simulator. I own that but don't know how to use it or how to play Dragon Diceā„¢ with it.

Physical Implementation needs webcams to be effective. Assuming the game is being played between two players over the internet, it'll be good if both sides have a webcam setup, but could be managed with one person having the entire game setup.

Streaming
If you are live streaming video games, expect to have 0 viewers, or 1-3 if you're lucky/beg your friends and family to watch for the first year. Dragon Diceā„¢ is less popular and not expected to be found on things like Twitch, so don't expect a big following anytime soon. That said, we do have a good Facebook community, and if people are interested in this and this is a scheduled event, it could work.

We will need a down-facing camera to see the battlefield, bonus points for a webcam capturing the player. We also need a small space for rolling dice that's on camera as well.

I'm gonna think on this more. What I'm not sure about is the best way to get another users webcams into the stream. I'm going to think on this more.

Community
This is for the community, but also requires the community to make it happen. I'm all for trying this out on Twitch, and I think we can find people in our community to support as viewers and commentators. I believe a lot of people tuned in to Cliff's live play on Facebook way back when.
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be up for a game, would just need the find my web-cam, and see if it still works. Keep me updated
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DScottOBrien wrote:
I'd be up for a game, would just need the find my web-cam, and see if it still works. Keep me updated

Let me know if you find it, it works, and if you're free on Tuesday night. Smile
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got the web-cam, will set it up tonight, let me kn0w if this is still on for tues
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:

Streaming
We will need a down-facing camera to see the battlefield, bonus points for a webcam capturing the player. We also need a small space for rolling dice that's on camera as well.

I'm gonna think on this more. What I'm not sure about is the best way to get another users webcams into the stream. I'm going to think on this more.

I'm willing to build a frame and dig up some cameras, but what software would be used to stitch multiple cameras together into a single feed?

Alternately, we could record live games and then post them back later after doing some voice over commentary.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DScottOBrien wrote:
OK, got the web-cam, will set it up tonight, let me kn0w if this is still on for tues

Awesome! I was on the verge of streaming a "game against myself" or just skipping this until a future date. I'll PM you other contact info so we can communicate more quickly to get this going tonight, if we can.

cliffwiggs wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Streaming

I'm willing to build a frame and dig up some cameras, but what software would be used to stitch multiple cameras together into a single feed?

Alternately, we could record live games and then post them back later after doing some voice over commentary.

I'm experimenting still and open to suggestion. I was able to use OBS to stitch together multiple inputs into a single live stream. I think I did it with multiple webcams as well. What I haven't tested, yet, is how to make it work with another user's webcam. So that's something to still figure out.

Last night, I watched part of a Twitch stream where they did something called Squad streaming where I could see streams from two users at once. So if each player in the game had their webcams and configuration set up and a Twitch account set up, that's an option that would work.

Recording gameplay and later adding commentary and uploading to Youtube is an option as well.

And doing a quick test right now, you don't need a Twitch account to watch a stream, but you need one to chat live with the streamers/other viewers.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is afoot!

Dragon Diceā„¢ is coming to Twitch!
https://www.twitch.tv/dolusdeceit

DScottOBrien and I will be playing tonight around 10PM Eastern/7PM Pacific. That's about 8.5 hours from this post.

Please bear with us as we get all this webcam shenanigans working for the first time. But this will help encourage all those who have been interested in webcam games, and the live stream will be recorded and made available to watch later if you miss it live.

This game will be basic 36 point game. No expansions/Eldarim.
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeD wrote:
Thanks guys.

Thank you for suggesting this!

I've been wanting to get back into webcam Dragon Diceā„¢ play for a while, and everything has just been lining up perfectly.
    I finally started playing Dragon Diceā„¢ again in person (found players and time)
    I had just started experimenting with streaming out of curiosity
    Your Twitch suggestion was not even something I'd considered, but was the perfect way to combine playing again and streaming, and actually making the streaming useful.

danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Dolus!

it's great to have video contents, is it possible to copy the video also on youtube ? (for max visibility and also, I understand that twich may remove old videos at some point. I may e wrong here, but better be safe than sorry, right?)

I'm watching it right now

Edit: please also consider sharing it in some sensible places like boardgamegeek

cheers,
Danilo
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

danilo wrote:
Bravo Dolus!

it's great to have video contents, is it possible to copy the video also on youtube ? (for max visibility and also, I understand that twich may remove old videos at some point. I may e wrong here, but better be safe than sorry, right?)

Edit: please also consider sharing it in some sensible places like boardgamegeek

cheers,
Danilo

All great suggestions. I think the videos are on Twitch for 60 days before being taken down. I need to look into all the places to share it. I probably won't post this one because of the significance of the technical issues, but I will want to for the future.

Also, this is a different streaming program than I'm using for video games and I don't think I recorded the stream.

I didn't think of BGG, but that's an obvious place to share these videos! I'll be sure to post them there.
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:
danilo wrote:
Bravo Dolus!

cheers,
Danilo

All great suggestions. I think the videos are on Twitch for 60 days before being taken down. I need to look into all the places to share it. I probably won't post this one because of the significance of the technical issues, but I will want to for the future.

Also, this is a different streaming program than I'm using for video games and I don't think I recorded the stream.

I didn't think of BGG, but that's an obvious place to share these videos! I'll be sure to post them there.

Hi,
yes of course there are technical problems in your video (like the fact that you can't really hear the other player) but nonetheless less-than-perfect contents are better than no content at all in my opinion, and it may get yousuggestions from people who actually know how to do this stuff (whereas I cannot really help you in the technicalities of video recording, as I'm not skilled myself).

Of course is your content: feel free to do what you prefer with it, but to me it's ok to publish it for the time being, and if subsequent videos get better maybe deleting it eventually if you feel so.

In any case, thanks for your effort!
I'm looking forward to watching your next video! Smile

Danilo
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Dragon Diceā„¢ category on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Dragon%20Dice

The category has 7 followers, yay!

I looked up how to get a picture for the category, it has to be done by the game owner. The instructions are here under "Editing game box-art on Twitch"
https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/adding-a-game-and-box-art-to-the-directory?language=en_US

Essentially the image has to represent the game and include the name, but no other logos or advertisements.

Here's an image for Scythe: Digital Edition for reference:

It's not critical, but a nice to have. If Chuck or Cliff have any free time to get an image uploaded, I wanted to share the instructions. But it's okay if we don't too.

The second stream was much better overall. Of course there was no second person so there were fewer complications, but white noise was mostly eliminated which is great, and I seem to be heard just fine (after 5 minutes of recording on mute Embarassed ). And I have better lighting now. There are many things my office has needed for years that I'm now using streaming as justification for finally picking up. Smile
JZWINK
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus - I've enjoyed your streams. Keep it up! I plan on having my son watch the most recent as you do a great job discussing rules and strategy as you go.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the process with Twitch. They say it will take "3-4 business days" to allow access. Then I can update some box art, which will take some more time before they allow it.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> On-Line games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: