SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon Diceā„¢ Player Map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Looking for other players?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 am GMT    Post subject: Dragon Diceā„¢ Player Map Reply with quote

Joshua has a new and better player map. Adding his post to the top because it has lots of useful information!

jcavalchini wrote:
A new players map exists, created with Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1SSXZ0hbWbUl5pKAxoT139n23Zr2d6QZh&ll=17.056890445495537%2C-94.98555170000009&z=2

Players on this map are required to be a member of one of the following Facebook groups, or the SFR official forum. To get added to this map, reply to any posting of the map in one of these group, or here in the forum.

Simply say what general area you are in and any races you more typically play!

Stores and groups can list contact information in their placement marker description.

Roll to Victory!

Dragon Diceā„¢ā„¢ Players' Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/418460488199950/

Dragon Diceā„¢ā„¢: UK
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKDragonDice/

Dragon Diceā„¢ā„¢: Deutschland
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dragondicedeutschland/

Dragon Diceā„¢ā„¢: Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DragonDiceAustralia/

Want to find a player in your area? Or find somebody close by? Check out our Dragon Diceā„¢ Player Map! Also feel free to add yourself to the map. There are different colored pins to represent different things.

When you add yourself, please choose the correct pin accordingly. If you need to update/modify any of your information on the map, please PM me and I will do so.
Red - DD Player
Purple - DD Rep
Green - DD Meetup Group
Blue - DD Special Event (e.g. a Con)

For preservation, the original OP of this thread: wrote:
I'm moving to Colorado soon, and was thinking (and probably will) of posting here to look for players, but searching through threads, or posting in threads and hoping for a reply, doesn't sound like the most effective way to find other players.

I was trying to think of an easier way this could be done, and I remembered another group that used Frappr to basically stick pushpins on a map of where people are. Unfortunately, Frappr no longer exists, so I can't even show an example of it, but in a quick search, I found MapServices.org, which is very similar.

The way this works is somebody creates an account to create a map. Here is a map I recently created as an example. What I imagine is you can search for your geographic location, and a pin to the map with your user name and also find other users in the same area who have a pin there. Then, you can communicate with the person via PM to meet up.

I'm playing around with the map options to see what it can do. I've disabled captcha for the time being because when it was active, I couldn't put in any pins. Currently it's limited to just putting your name, a link (for my pin, I put a link to my PM, perhaps it would be better to have a link to my profile), and a message. One limitation currently is after a guest adds a pushpin, they have only 1 hour to make any modifications or delete the pushpin themselves. Then, it would require the owner of the map to make the change. I'm not sure if that can easily be changed.

I'm curious what people think of this idea? Would it make it easier to find other players? Does somebody have a better or alternative solution? Or does the current solution work well enough for everyone? I know I prefer a map or some sort of visual tool, but that's one person's preferences.

Last edited by Dolus on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:56 am GMT; edited 3 times in total
Ironneth the DragonMaster
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this and hope people start using it.
James Dart
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply amazing! Just pray for no stalkers.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Simply amazing! Just pray for no stalkers.

Lord knows I've had 1 or 2...
SpazzyP
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a great idea. One thing though before everyone starts to put their stuff on there I think we need to post some rules if any younger players get on here. Ya know like don't put it at your exact street address just the town and if someone wants to play a game near you meet at your local game store not your house that sort of thing that an adult would think of but maybe not a younger teen.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpazzyP wrote:
I think it is a great idea. One thing though before everyone starts to put their stuff on there I think we need to post some rules if any younger players get on here. Ya know like don't put it at your exact street address just the town and if someone wants to play a game near you meet at your local game store not your house that sort of thing that an adult would think of but maybe not a younger teen.

Good idea and good point. I'll have to update the opening post to make this look more official and less of a question of "Should we do this?"

I'm glad to see so many people adding themselves! Very Happy
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that GenCon's over, and we may have some new players because of it, I'd like to bump this post and encourage the new players to add their pins to the map.

I'm still getting periodic emails as people add their pins, so it is definitely being used. Eventually, I hope people will be able to find each other because of it.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it was never clear that this was completely live.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly experimenting at first, but enough people have added their pins to the map, I think it is valuable.
Taven

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Moving to Colorado? Reply with quote

I just got settled in, down the road in Green Valley Ranch just off of Tower.

I was suprised to find when one of the gamers at a Reunion Meetup Board Games group, had brought his Dragon Diceā„¢. I made an earlier attempt with a few unOpened TSR Starters, but no bites amoungst the regulars.

Anyways, I'll check in on the Map Dolus, but I am also eager to chat. Travis was happy to gift me a set of the SFR rules to "catch-up" on the changes. I'm pretty easy to find on the net as ClericTaven. Skype, Yahoo, Facebook yahdah.

Hopefully, with some digging about, I'll find my Campaign rules.
Similar to any other reasons to use the dice kicking about.

~ Andrew

Update: I tried adding myself to the Player Map and it hung with an hour glass, unsure why. Reloaded and it came up. And it appears to me that we have meet before. See you @ Chad's.

"I hate when the uncommons get stuck in the Paintball gun".
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you on here, Andrew! Sorry to have missed you at game day today, but I hope Doctor Who was worth it. Wink

I only have a couple months left. Well, a month and a half, before moving to San Diego. We'll have to get in as much gaming as we can. But get in contact with Chris as he plays and is looking for players, and he has at least 3 other friends he's been teaching a few of his other friends as well.
jcavalchini
dragonmount

australia.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:55 pm GMT    Post subject: New Players Map! Reply with quote

A new players map exists, created with Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1SSXZ0hbWbUl5pKAxoT139n23Zr2d6QZh&ll=17.056890445495537%2C-94.98555170000009&z=2

Players on this map are required to be a member of one of the following Facebook groups, or the SFR official forum. To get added to this map, reply to any posting of the map in one of these group, or here in the forum.

Simply say what general area you are in and any races you more typically play!

Stores and groups can list contact information in their placement marker description.

Roll to Victory!

Dragon Diceā„¢ Players' Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/418460488199950/

Dragon Diceā„¢: UK
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKDragonDice/

Dragon Diceā„¢: Deutschland
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dragondicedeutschland/

Dragon Diceā„¢: Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DragonDiceAustralia/
Co-developer of unofficial solo variant "Dragon Deluge"
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add me to the map.
Kevin Jones in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Looking for other players? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: