SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help building a frostwing/? army

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thundercat427
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Help building a frostwing/? army Reply with quote

I am building a frostwing army and need some help. I have bought about six Frostwing kickers and got some great dice, just a limited amount of magic therefore causing me to have to dual race the army. I have lots of the basic races and can pull magic from these to help but I am not sure what race would be best suited to compliment this army. I do have the blue/black hybrid dragons and numerous single color dragons but only one ivory and no white. Looking for a med size army. More for casual play than tournament. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Terrain suggestions if possible as well. Thanks
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

w/o knowing what frostwing units you have makes it a little hard... do you have a mish-mash or missile or maneuver or melee?

but it sounds like you are in need of magic support for your army...

Frostwings tend to play at standing stones because of their racial ability of only being able to double magic there... however if you don't have frostwing mages then you are free to go anywhere.

typically people try to match a color in the armies they make, but thats not a hard rule. It really depends on what you want to do. since we are talking magic, what kind of spells do you like to cast? I'm partial to red/black since they are both offensive, so lava elf mages would be good.

however gold and blue would give you feral which is another good combo.

So, let me know what frostwings you have that total 18 health and I can recommend what 18 health of mages I would put with them.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also list what Frostwing mages you do have. I often build armies with two different races. My favorite combo with Frostwings is Goblins. SO an army with all your Frostwing mages, and fill in the 18 health of mages with Goblins should work pretty well.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
thundercat427
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:44 am GMT    Post subject: Frostwing units Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
w/o knowing what frostwing units you have makes it a little hard... do you have a mish-mash or missile or maneuver or melee?

but it sounds like you are in need of magic support for your army...

Frostwings tend to play at standing stones because of their racial ability of only being able to double magic there... however if you don't have frostwing mages then you are free to go anywhere.

typically people try to match a color in the armies they make, but thats not a hard rule. It really depends on what you want to do. since we are talking magic, what kind of spells do you like to cast? I'm partial to red/black since they are both offensive, so lava elf mages would be good.

however gold and blue would give you feral which is another good combo.

So, let me know what frostwings you have that total 18 health and I can recommend what 18 health of mages I would put with them.

Rare: 4 Vindicator (3 reprint 1 promo), 1 bearmaster (orig), 1 Devastator (reprint)
Uncommon: 2 magus (orig), 4 assaulter, 2 wolfmaster, 2 dispatcher? (has 2 dots on shoulder pad)
Common:4 attacker, 5 advocate, 2 destroyer, 5 houndmaster, 4 apprentice

monsters:2 wolf pack, 1 ramorhas, 1yeti, 1 chrohydra

I am partial to lava elves and have plenty of all of those.
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

thundercat427 wrote:

Then by all means, use those Lave Elves! I took second place in the World Championship last year with an army make up of Lava Elf mages and Frostwing troops, so its certainly a workable combination.
thundercat427
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:38 am GMT    Post subject: Ratios? Reply with quote

piMaster wrote:
thundercat427 wrote:

Then by all means, use those Lave Elves! I took second place in the World Championship last year with an army make up of Lava Elf mages and Frostwing troops, so its certainly a workable combination.

How should I split my missile melee points? 1/2 1/2 or 60-40 etc.. Any suggestions on monsters as well from my list. Since most of my magic will be from lava elves are single red and black dragons a better choice than the hybrid black and blue?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's been a long time since I have played and am enjoying the thought of playing again. I just need people in my area to play now. Haven't had much luck so far finding people to play.
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Lava Elves can cast burning hands and open grave, a melee heavy army works well. You can throw in some Frostwing light missile troops for some extra saves. The Remorhaz is a good monster to use, as is the Wolf Pack.

Whether to use single color or hybrid dragons is a personal choice. However, since black magic can be doubled at any terrain, I'd say stick with some sort of black dragon.
koslowj
common
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had luck in the past (including a World Championship army) with Frostwings and Coral Elves. People spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the army could do; by the time they figure it out, it was usually too late.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

thundercat427 wrote:
I have bought about six Frostwing kickers and got some great dice, just a limited amount of magic therefore causing me to have to dual race the army.

Well,
if you are short on magic...
consider an All Missile Frostwing army.
no magic

the amazons have been known to do this as well...
if you were to blend in another army,
so maybe choose Flatlands standing stones...
I personally would just work the all frostwing missile army,
since you are playing casual.
If you are not using magic..
I would choose a coastland Tower...
the Coastland has the most missile.
thundercat427
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great ideas. This has given me some great places to start and run with. Keep them coming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: