SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products
 
 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewalker racial introduction

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dburkley
rare
Director



Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 1177
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Firewalker racial introduction Reply with quote

Introduction
Firewalkers have a lot of dice that are “jacks-of-all-trades” with at least one face for maneuver, melee, missiles, and saves (somewhat similar to a number of Lava Elf dice). Their magicians are very focused and reliable (with 5 of 6 faces contributing towards a magic action), but have no saves, making them very vulnerable to attack. Their colors are blue (air) and red (fire), which allows them access to some powerful spell options.

Firewalker racial abilities:
Terrain Flight: During the retreat phase of the Reserve Movement, the Firewalkers may immediately move from any terrain with the blue (air) element to any other terrain.
Flaming Shields: Firewalkers may, during a melee attack, count save results (only from actual save icons, not ID icons or SAIs) as if they were melee results.

Note that Firewalker saves can be counted as melee at any time you are rolling for melee results. So they count as melee during: melee attack, melee counter-attack, dragon attack (melee or saves but not both), or any melee avoidance roll (like walking thru a Wall of Thorns).

With the release of the Battlefields expansion, the Firewalker player now has the option to choose Wasteland terrains for the Home and proposed Frontier terrains, allowing the doubling of red magic and blue magic, as well as having the advantage of Terrain Flight. For an army that has a significant contingent of allies, the choice or terrains to use can be an important decision, so consider the potential advantages of choosing a terrain that benefits the allied race. A Coastland terrain could be an excellant choice for an army that includes Coral Elves, since it lets the Coral Elves double their blue & green magic and allows the use of their racial ability, while Friewlkers can still double their blue magic and use their Terrain Flight racial advantage.

The Units
Common units:
Guardian [save, maneuver, missile, melee, melee x2]
For a “heavy melee” class unit, this may appear a little weak in melee when compared to other heavy common units, but the Flaming Shields racial ability makes the save icon count in melee.

Explorer [missile, maneuver x2, save, melee, melee]
Rather similar to the Guardian, but the maneuver face has the double icon, rather than a melee face.

Firestarter [save, melee, maneuver, missile, missile x2]
Only two missile faces, with a save, maneuver, and melee face.

Shadowchaser [maneuver, maneuver, save, missile, melee x2]
For a “cavalry” unit, there is only two maneuver faces, but it’s the melee face that has the double icon, making this common the slowest of all “cavalry” commons.

Sunburst [magic, magic, magic, magic, maneuver x2]
A very reliable magician common: Four magic faces mean you will get magic most of the time you roll this die and the rest of the time you will get maneuvers.

uncommon units
Watcher [save x2, maneuver x2, missile x2, melee x3, melee x3] This “heavy melee” uncommon has the same pattern as the Guardian common unit. The Flaming Shields racial ability gives this unit a 66% chance to contribute to a melee roll.

Adventurer [missile x3, maneuver x3, save, melee x2, melee x3] This “light melee” uncommon has the same distribution of faces as the “heavy melee” uncommon, but has extra icons on the missile and maneuver faces with only a single save icon.

Firemaster [melee x2, save x2, maneuver x2, missile x3, missile x3] A good “missile” uncommon: It can save, melee, and maneuver better than any other missile unit of its size unfortunately it loses some missile power for this.

Nightsbane [maneuver x2, maneuver x2, save x2, melee x3, missile x3]
For a “cavalry” uncommon, it is inferior to other “cavalry” uncommons with respect to maneuvers, but has a 50% chance of contributing to a melee, 33% chance for missile, and 33% for a save roll.

Sunflare [magic x2, magic x2, magic x2, magic x3, maneuver x3]
Another very reliable magician with 5 of 6 faces counting towards a magic action, but no save icon.

Rares
Sentinel [save x3, missile x3, maneuver x3, melee x3, Smite x4] This “heavy melee” rare has 66% of the faces count towards a melee roll (considering the Flaming Shields racial ability) and has the Smite SAI that most “heavy melee” rares possess.

Expeditioner [maneuver x3, missile x3, melee x3, melee x3, Counter x4]
This “light melee” unit is just as reliable as the Sentinel, with the Counter SAI instead of Smite.

Firestormer [save x2, maneuver x3, melee x3, missile x4, Bullseye x4]
This “missile” rare has only 50% of its faces counting towards a missile action, which is not as reliable as other missile rares, but it has the Bullseye SAI.

Daybringer [save x2, Fly x4, maneuver x2, missile x4, melee x4]
Not as exciting as other “cavalry” rares of other races, but it has the most save faces of all the Firewalker d6’s.

Ashbringer [magic x3, magic x3, magic x3, Cantrip x3, maneuver x4]
Like the common and uncommon magicians, the rare is a very reliable magician, counting 5 of 6 faces towards a magic action and knowing it will be at least 3 points. The Cantrip SAI is only 3 points, but still useful.

The Monsters
Fireshadow [Cantrip, Smite, Fly, Fly, Create Fireminions, Create Fireminions, Melee, Melee, Counter]
With its 6 useful SAI’s, this is one of the best units in the game. It has magic icons, so it will count as a magician for army construction. It is also worth 4-health, making it a target for Lightning Strikes. The Create Fireminions SAI makes the Fireshadow a very versatile unit, giving you a 40% chance of generating magic during a magic action, a 50% chance of maneuvers during a maneuver roll, a 30% chance of missiles during a missile action, a 70% chance of melee results during a melee action, and 40% chance of save results during a save roll (plus 10% chance of a Cantrip for the last three actions listed). A good monster to have with any army, including those of other races, but beware of including too many if there is a magician restriction in army composition.

Genie [Cantrip, Firecloud, melee, melee, save, save, magic, Galeforce, Firewalking]
Not a bad unit, but it counts as a 4-health magician and while it has four SAIs, two have rather narrow applications (Firecloud, Galeforce). This monster gives you a 30% chance of generating magic during a magic action, a 20% chance of maneuvers during a maneuver roll, a 20% chance of missiles during a missile action, a 50% chance of melee results during a melee action, and 30% chance of save results during a save roll (plus 10% chance of a Cantrip for the last three actions listed, 10% chance of a Firewalking for any but maneuver, and 10% chance of a Galeforce).

Gorgon [save, save, Flame, Flame, maneuver, maneuver, maneuver, maneuver, maneuver]
If you need some extra maneuver icons, this is the unit for you to use. The Gorgon has a 50% chance of contributing to a melee action, 30% to a save roll, and 60% towards a maneuver roll.

Phoenix [Fly, Fly, Rise from the Ashes, Rise from the Ashes, Seize, Seize, save, save, Smite]
With 7 SAI’s, the Phoenix is another one of the best units in the game. The Firewalkers need saves and this is the unit to give it to them, with a 70% chance of contributing to a save roll. The Seize SAI applies only during a missile action, but is very effective. The Rise from the Ashes SAI gives this unit a 20% chance of coming back after it’s been killed or buried.

Salamander [Cantrip, missile, save, save, Smite, magic, melee, melee, melee]
A 4-health magician with only two SAIs, the Salamander gives you a 30% chance of generating magic during a magic action, a 10% chance of maneuvers during a maneuver roll, a 20% chance of missiles during a missile action, a 70% chance of melee results during a melee action, and 30% chance of save results during a save roll (plus 10% chance of a Cantrip for the last three actions listed). Not as impressive as the Fireshadow, and not so reliable as a magician, the Salamander is nonetheless reliable in a melee.

Firewalker SAIs
Bullseye (Firestormer): During a missile action, each Bullseye result immediately inflicts one point of damage. The total damage may individually target one or more units in the defending army as the acting player chooses. Each target unit must immediately generate saves against the damage assigned to it. During a dragon attack or missile avoidance roll, Bullseye generates missile results.
Cantrip (Ashbringer, Fireshadow, Genie, Salamander): During a magic action or magic negation roll, Cantrip generates magic results. During any non-magic action, save roll or non-maneuver avoidance roll, Cantrip can be used to purchase spells that are
immediately resolved.
Counter (Expeditioner, Fireshadow): During a melee attack or melee avoidance roll, Counter generates melee results. During a save roll, Counter generates save results. During a save roll in a melee attack, Counter immediately generates both save results and melee results upon the attacking army or unit. Only magical saves protect against this damage. During a dragon attack, Counter generates save and melee results.
Create Fireminions (Fireshadow): During any roll the army makes, Create Fireminions generates magic, maneuver, melee, missile or save results.
Firecloud (Genie): During a missile action, choose up to four health-worth of units in the defending army. Each target unit must
immediately roll a maneuver result or be killed.
Firewalking (Genie): During a maneuver roll, Firewalking generates maneuver results. During any non-maneuver roll, the Firewalking unit may immediately move itself and up to three health-worth of units in the army containing this unit to any other terrain.
Flame (Gorgon): During a melee attack, choose up to two health-worth of units in the defending army to be immediately killed and buried with no save possible.
Fly (Daybringer, Fireshadow, Phoenix): During any roll, each Fly result generates one maneuver or one save result.
Galeforce (Genie): During any action, choose any enemy army. Until the beginning of your next turn, after the target army makes any maneuver roll, maneuver avoidance roll, save roll or save avoidance roll but before they apply any unique or special resolution SAIs, any unit in the target army that rolled a Fly icon must roll again until a non-Fly icon is generated.
Rise from the Ashes (Phoenix): During a save roll, Rise from the Ashes generates save results. Whenever a unit with this icon is killed or buried, immediately roll the unit; if and only if this icon is rolled the monster immediately goes to your reserve area.
Seize (Phoenix): During a missile action, choose up to four health-worth of units in the defending army to immediately roll an ID icon individually or be killed. Those that roll an ID icon flee to reserve area.
Smite (Fireshadow, Phoenix, Salamander, Sentinel): During a melee attack, each Smite result immediately inflicts one point of damage on the defending army or unit; no saves (including those provided by spells) can stop this damage. During a dragon attack or melee avoidance roll, Smite generates melee results.

Firewalker Racial Spells:
Blue Elemental Blast (3 blue): Target up to two points of non-blue spells in play. The target spell is immediately negated. Multiple castings increase the effect or target another spell.
Dust Devil (3 blue): Target any terrain. Until the end of your next turn, halve all missile damage into or out of the target terrain. Multiple castings target multiple terrains.
Firebolt (3 red): Target any enemy unit. Immediately inflict one point of damage on the target unit. The target unit must generate saves against the damage. Multiple castings increase the effect or target another unit.
Flashfire (3 red): Target any army. Until the beginning of your next turn, during any non-maneuver roll, any one unit in the target army whose last roll result has not been finalized may be rolled again. The selected unit ignores its last roll result and applies the new roll result instead. Multiple castings increase the effect or target another army. Note: this takes affect at the same time as other rerolling effects (i.e. “Instant” SAIs or group monster IDs).
Mirage (5 blue): Target any terrain. Each 1-health (common) unit at the target terrain must generate a save or immediately flee to its reserve area. Multiple castings target multiple terrains.
Red Elemental Blast (3 red): Target up to two points of non-red spells in play. The target spell is immediately negated. Multiple castings increase the effect or target another spell.

Firewalkers have access to standard blue and red spells that can promote a number of different strategies:

· Ash Storm is an inexpensive “penalty” spell, reducing an army’s ability to generate normal magic, maneuvers, melee, missiles, or saves, but it affects all armies at the target terrain. It can be very effective as a magic, maneuver, missile, or save suppression tactic, even when the opponent holds an 8th Face – since deductions occur first (and if you are trying to out-maneuver with Mammoth Riders, the Trample SAI is unaffected by Ash Storm or Transmute Rock to Mud);
· Hailstorm is a nice, cheap spell that is ideal for picking off those annoying one-health armies that your opponent keeps around to advance a terrain die;
· Blue or Red Elemental Blast can be very useful for removing other-colored 2-point spells that are an obstacle to your plans, like a common unit that has Hide cast on it (Red Elemental Blast only), a unit protected by Earthen Armor, an Evil Eye on your army, or a Stoneskin on an opponent’s;
· Burning Hands can be an effective spell in a melee by doubling the normal melee results on your units, but recognize that this won’t work with SAIs;
· Dancing Lights is a good magic and missile-suppression spell, but won’t affect magic and missile SAI’s;
· Dust Devil is a good cheap missile-suppression spell, but won’t affect missile SAI’s;
· Firebolt can be an effective unit-targeting spell to remove a specific enemy unit;
· Flashfire is a nice spell to cast on your army to give one of your dice a “re-roll”;
· Lightning Strike is one of the most effective offensive spells to target large units such as Rares and Monsters;
· Mirage can be used to scatter a concentrated army, which may be useful to avoid a concentrated strike or to divide an enemy army into parts that are easier to attack or outmaneuver, but realize that the part that’s sent to the enemy Reserve will be available for magic support, reinforcement, or a separate strike force;
· Spark of Life allows you to return even multi-health units back to the game, which is an important advantage in a battle of attrition;
· Windwalk is a strong spell to support a maneuver strategy, and is frequently the key to victory when an Eighth Face is in contest;
· Dragon summoning is important as a means to whittle away your opponent’s forces, and both Blue and Red Dragon breath are very effective, especially against large armies; and
· Summon Dragonkin can provide important protection for your magicians, both in saves and the ability to melee, and remember that Dragonkin are eligible for promotion at a City 8th Face, a dragon’s Treasure Chest, or after a dragon has been killed. A Dragonkin Champion can have an important effect in the game. Dragonkin are like bonus units, but can’t move from the terrain they have been summoned at.

Army Construction
An easy army for the beginner to try is an all-commons army that tries to be good at everything, but is not great at any one thing:
7 Guardians
7 Explorers
7 Firestarters
7 Shadowchasers
8 Sunbursts
You should be able to roll reasonably well for anything you need. Mass the army together as fast as possible. A missile and/or magic strategy might be best, so keep the terrain in missile range and pick units off, moving it into magic if you can. Once you get an 8th face, hit them with magic and missiles non-stop. Try using your racial ability to get a second 8th face. Move a single unit to another terrain and cast Windwalks on that new “army”. It will be tough against an army that has a focused strategy and has started to get that strategy in gear, but it is a fun little army.

Another Firewalker army that also pursues a magic and/or missile strategy is:
1 Fireshadow
6 Sunflares
2 Bronze Targes (red or blue).
1 Phoenix
6 Firemasters
2 Trueflyers (red or blue)
This Firewalker army prefers the battle from afar. Coastland Towers might be a good choice for this army, since many armies get no benefit with this terrain. If an army comes to attack you take your shot at it and fly to another terrain, preferably one in missile range. Don’t forget your Flashfire spells so you can re-roll dice again to get better results. Your only trouble is when you start to lose units; they will be hard to bring back into play, so bring in your Dragonkin as soon as possible.

Firewalkers can team-up well with other races, such as:
4 Fireshadows – these will be your magic units for this army
2 Trolls – to bring back your dead
2 Swamp Giants or Coral Giants
4 commons – any units that you think you may need.
You can trade the Swamp Giants for more Trolls, Phoenixes, or Coral Giants depending on your style of play and what you think you might be facing. This army uses what many consider the best of all the Firewalker units, the Fireshadow. Don’t expect a lot of magic, but you should get a Cantrip to give you a Wind Walk or Flashfire when you really need it. This army should close to ATTACK. If you get into a long pitched battle, an opposing normal magic-based army will persevere in the long run.

This Dwarf/Firewalker army is based on magic and maneuvers:
8 Sunflares
2 Theurgists
1 Mammoth Rider
1 Lizard Rider
12 Pony Riders
1 Red speed Slipper (for the Mammoth Rider)
Firebolts and/or Lightning Strikes and Dancing Lights will be one of the keys to victory. Use Earthen Armor to keep your Sunflares in play and bury anything and everything with Dust to Dust. When it gets close don’t forget that you can Path a Mammoth Rider, whose SAI will not be affected by spells, and a Speed Slipper to go for the 8th face win by maneuver.

One of the “Death from Above” army variations:
4 Fireshadows
2 Speed Slippers (red or blue)
4 Phoenixes
1 Flicker Foil (red or blue)
1 Shadowchaser
This army needs to take the battle to the other player. If you get the terrain into missile range then go ahead and take some shots, with Seize and Create Fireminions you can do a lot of missile damage. Close to melee so that your Fireshadows can pound away on their army. Take the Phoenix as damage first since you have a chance to bring it back to life and it gets another if they try to bury it.

Another “Death from Above” army for the Battlefest format is an ALL Firewalker magic army; so named because they call death from the very skies with Firebolts and Lightning Strikes. This is a great army to play and lots of fun.

(Last edited on 07-30-2011)
_________________
Daniel Burkley
US National Champion (DEXCON 2007, 2009, 2010)
World Champion (GENCON 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014)
Battlefest Champion (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2009, 2011, co-champion GENCON 2010, DEXCON 2011)
"No Magicians" (GENCON 2008)
"Single Race" (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, co-champion 2014)


Last edited by dburkley on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:44 am GMT; edited 14 times in total
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder



Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 7840
Location: Des Plaines, IL

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not thoughly read the entire post...

I remember the original web site claimed Firewalkers as Jacks of all Trade.
(Master of None?)

So if you look at the Daybringer...
Good Missile
Good maneuvers..
in fact 50% manuever faces

Good Saves again 50% save faces

Good Melee again 50% save faces

but its Jack of all trades factor can become a problem...say for instance...you really don't intend on Missiling.

So I liked reading that when I was studying races...
as it made sense why the firewalker seemed like a terrific well rounded race...
but the well rounded factor can be a detriment.

Looks good Dan!!!


Last edited by DEEPBLUEB2 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:22 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin



Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 8869
Location: Evanston, IL

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'd point out. Firewalker mages die very quickly by themselves. Firewalkers have no protection spells (except Dust Devil and it only protects against missile). Too many things take out dragonkin (ivory and white dragons, for example), leaving Firewalker mages being wiped out.

BTW, Firewalkers don't get Blizzard, that's a Coral Elf spell.
_________________
You can never have too many dice.
First Place at the first ever Daemon Dice™ sealed starter tournament.
Battlefest tied for first GenCon 2012
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dburkley
rare
Director



Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 1177
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Firewalker racial introduction Reply with quote

Edited introduction to correct spell listing, add monster SAI descriptions, and mention magician vulnerability to attack.
_________________
Daniel Burkley
US National Champion (DEXCON 2007, 2009, 2010)
World Champion (GENCON 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014)
Battlefest Champion (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2009, 2011, co-champion GENCON 2010, DEXCON 2011)
"No Magicians" (GENCON 2008)
"Single Race" (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, co-champion 2014)
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Raven Bloodeyes
uncommon



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 576
Location: Rochester, NY

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the Guardian weak, now??... he's only missing a 2nd save. He has meleex2, melee, and (melee)/save [the Flaming Shields helped him out A LOT]

Watcher... yup, same pattern, and with Flaming Shields has some punch!

Adventurer, not the same. much less melee... one of the 3x drops to a 2x, and w/ only a single save that's less melee too. Slightly stronger in missile combat, in addition to the extra manuever.

Nightsbane has a 50% chance of contributing to melee, again due to Flaming Shields... 33% for saves and missile still though.


Other than those details, it looks great now!!!
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
dburkley
rare
Director



Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 1177
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Firewalker Racial introduction Reply with quote

Edited to clarify the strengths of the "heavy melee" units.

Those who wish to suggest other advantages/disadvantages, strategies, and/or army compositions for the Firewalkers (or any other race) - please feel free to submit your suggestions. These "Introductions" are drafts to eventually replace or upgrade the original racial introductions on the SFR website.
_________________
Daniel Burkley
US National Champion (DEXCON 2007, 2009, 2010)
World Champion (GENCON 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014)
Battlefest Champion (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2009, 2011, co-champion GENCON 2010, DEXCON 2011)
"No Magicians" (GENCON 2008)
"Single Race" (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, co-champion 2014)
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
stormywaters
rare



Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 1351

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says they don't have a terrain of their own, but Wasteland is theirs (blue/red).
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
Dark Knightmare
common



Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 157
Location: Staunton, VA

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormywaters wrote:
It says they don't have a terrain of their own, but Wasteland is theirs (blue/red).


true, but at the time of this article being posted(and last edit date), the Wasteland terrains weren't out yet.
_________________
WWFSMD?-What Would Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stormywaters
rare



Joined: 22 May 2011
Posts: 1351

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Knightmare wrote:
stormywaters wrote:
It says they don't have a terrain of their own, but Wasteland is theirs (blue/red).


true, but at the time of this article being posted(and last edit date), the Wasteland terrains weren't out yet.


Sure, of course! Just pointing it out for update.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group