SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products
 
 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Treefolk Racial Introduction

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dburkley
rare
Director



Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 1197
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Treefolk Racial Introduction Reply with quote

Introduction
The Treefolk are the latest race in Dragon Dice™, and fairly popular to play with. One of several significant Treefolk advantages is that the Swampland terrain matches both colors of the Treefolk, permitting the doubling of green or yellow magic. Both racial abilities are extremely useful and important to remember.

When choosing terrain, the Swampland Standing Stones offers no advantage versus any of the other three options. A Tower could be chosen for a Missile-oriented army, but consider if that would also benefit your opponent. The City will allow you to bring back units faster. The Temple will allow you to bury units a bit quicker, and the protection from black magic can be a big plus if you are not planning on using it yourself.

Treefolk Racial Abilities
Double Maneuvers: Treefolk may, when at any terrain, double their maneuver results during a counter-maneuver roll.
Replanting: Treefolk may, when at any terrain during a march, after the maneuver attempt but before any action, exchange any number of Treefolk units in that army for an equal health value of Treefolk units from your dead unit area.

Treefolk Unit Summary
Commons…

Oakling [melee, melee, melee, melee, save x2]
The Oakling is a focused melee Common, concentrating on melee, with one save face.

Willowing [maneuver, maneuver, save, save, melee x2]
The Willowing is the “light melee” common, with a 50% chance for maneuvers and saves, and a 33% for a melee result.

Nymph [maneuver, maneuver x2, melee, melee, save]
The Nymph is the “cavalry” Common, with a 50% chance for maneuvers and melee, and a 33% for a save result.

Pineling [maneuver, save, missile, missile, missile x2]
The Pineling is the “missile” common, with a 33% chance for maneuvers and saves, and a 67% for a missile result.

Hamadryad [melee, save, magic, magic, magic x2]
The Hamadryad is a good magic Common, with a melee face and a save face.

Uncommons…

Oak [melee x2, melee x2, melee x2, melee x2, save x4]
The Oak is basically a double-strength Oakling, and is a very focused “heavy melee” unit, but does not maneuver well.

Willow [maneuver x2, maneuver x2, save x2, save x3, melee x3]
The Willow has a similar distribution of maneuvers, melee, and saves as the Willowing, with a 50% chance for maneuvers and saves, and a 33% for a melee result.

Naiad [maneuver x2, maneuver x3, melee x2, melee x3, save x3]
The Naiad has a similar distribution of maneuvers, melee, and saves as the Nymph, with a 50% chance for maneuvers and melee, and a 33% for a save result.

Pine [maneuver x2, maneuver x2, missile x2, missile x3, save x3]
The Pine sacrifices a missile face to add another maneuver face, so it has a 50% chance for maneuvers and missiles, and a 33% for a save result, so it might be considered a “light missile” Uncommon.

Dryad [melee x2, save x 3, magic x2, magic x2, magic x3]
The Dryad follows the same pattern as the Hamadryad, with a 67% chance for a magic result, and a 33% chance of a melee or save result.

Rares…

Oak Lord [melee x3, melee x3, save x4, Smite x3, Smite x3]
The Oak Lord is a very strong melee unit with two Smite x3 faces. The two Smite SAI’s make this a powerful melee unit, but it won’t take out a monster by itself.

Noble Willow [maneuver x2, melee x2, melee x4, save x4, Wild Growth x4]
The Noble Willow is a potent “light melee” unit. The Wild Growth SAI is not as potent as a Counter SAI, but the promotions could prove useful when some of your units are in the DUA.

Lady Nereid [maneuver x2, maneuver x4, save x 4, melee x 2, Counter x4]
Lady Nereid is an average “cavalry” unit with a 50% chance to get a maneuver result, but unlike other “cavalry” rares, it has the Counter SAI.

Prince Pine [missile x2, missile x2, missile x4, save x4, Volley x4]
The Pine Prince can be considered more of a “heavy missile” Rare, with an 83% chance of contributing to a missile action, and 50% towards a save roll. The Volley SAI is basically the “missile version” of Counter.

Elder Dryad [save x3, magic x2, magic x3, magic x4, Cantrip x4]
The Elder Dryad is a very focused magic unit with 5 faces counting for magic, and one save face.

Monsters…

Darktree [melee, melee, Smother, Smother, Surprise, Surprise, save, save, save]
The Darktree is squarely focused on melee, but don’t expect it to maneuver. A melee-focused force with one Darktree could benefit from the Surprise SAI, preventing a counter-attack.

Redwood [maneuver, Trample, Trample, melee, melee, melee, save, save, save]
The Redwood is also focused on melee (60% chance), but is a lot more maneuverable (40% chance).

Satyr [maneuver, missile, magic, magic, Volley, Volley, Sleep, Sleep, Confuse]
The Satyr is a magic unit with a 30% chance of getting magic, 20% chance of maneuvers, 30% chance of melee or saves, and 40% chance of missiles. The 5 SAI’s are interesting, but very diverse – so deciding how the Satyr can best be used is a challenge.

Strangle Vine [Choke, Choke, Double Strike, Rend, Wild Growth, Smother, maneuver, maneuver, melee]
The Strangle Vine is a melee-focused monster with 6 SAI’s that support its mission. It has a 70% chance of contributing to a melee, 40% chance of contributing to a maneuver action, and 20% chance of saves.

Unicorn [Counter, Trample, Trample, Dispel Magic, Dispel Magic, Teleport, Teleport, save, save]
The Unicorn is as interesting as it’s rarity: very. It’s 7 SAI’s promote a maneuver and melee strategy. The Teleport SAI can permit some unexpected opportunities, acting like an instant Path spell for itself and 3-health worth of passengers. The Unicorn has the Dispel Magic SAI, which is often useless, but offers the chance of foiling opponents’ magic against the army its in (including summoned Dragons).

Treefolk SAIs

Cantrip (Elder Dryad): During a magic action or magic negation roll, Cantrip generates magic results. During any non-magic action, save roll or non-maneuver avoidance roll, Cantrip can be used to purchase spells that are immediately resolved.
Choke (Strangle Vine): During a melee attack, after the defending army rolls for saves but before they apply any unique or special resolution SAIs, choose up to four health-worth of units in the defending army that rolled an ID icon to immediately be killed.
Confuse (Satyr): During a melee attack or missile action, after the defending army rolls for saves but before they apply any unique or special resolution SAIs, choose up to four health-worth of units in the defending army and force them to roll again. Selected units ignore their original roll and apply the new roll instead.
Counter (Lady Nereid, Unicorn): During a melee attack or melee avoidance roll, Counter generates melee results. During a save roll, Counter generates save results. During a save roll in a melee attack, Counter immediately generates both save results and melee results upon the attacking army or unit. Only magical saves protect against this damage. During a dragon attack, Counter generates save and melee results.
Double Strike (Strangle Vine): During a melee attack or melee avoidance roll, Double Strike generates melee results; roll this unit again and apply the new result as well.
Dispel Magic (Unicorn): Whenever any magic targets this unit, the army containing this unit and/or the terrain this unit occupies, you may roll this unit after all spells are announced but before any are resolved. If the Dispel Magic icon comes up, immediately negate all unresolved magic that applies to the target(s). Only one dispel attempt is made per unit and, if it fails, then all the spell(s) are resolved normally.
Rend (Strangle Vine): During a maneuver roll, each Rend result generates one maneuver result. During a melee attack or melee avoidance roll, each Rend result generates one melee result; roll this unit again and apply the new result as well.
Sleep (Satyr): During a melee attack, choose one unit in an opposing army to be immediately put to sleep, with no save possible. The target unit cannot be rolled until the end of your next turn.
Smite (Oak Lord): During a melee attack, each Smite result immediately inflicts one point of damage on the defending army or unit; no saves (including those provided by spells) can stop this damage. During a dragon attack or melee avoidance roll, Smite generates melee results
Smother (Strangle Vine): During a melee attack, choose up to four health-worth of units in the defending army to immediately roll a maneuver result individually or be killed.
Surprise (Darktree): During a melee action, the defending army cannot make its counter-attack roll; however, it may make its save roll.
Teleport (Unicorn): During a maneuver or maneuver avoidance roll, Teleport generates maneuver results. During any action or non-maneuver avoidance roll, the teleporting unit may immediately move itself and up to three health-worth of units in the army containing this unit to any terrain.
Trample (Redwood, Unicorn): During any roll, each Trample result generates one maneuver or one melee result.
Volley (Prince Pine, Satyr): During a missile action or missile avoidance roll, Volley generates missile results. During a save roll, Volley generates save results. During a save roll in a missile action, Volley generates both save results and immediate missile results upon the attacking army. Only magical saves protect against this damage. During a dragon attack, Volley generates save and missile results.
Wild Growth (Noble Willow, Strangle Vine): During any non-maneuver roll, each Wild Growth result generates one save result or may immediately promote one unit in the army containing this unit.

Treefolk Racial Spells
Call Water (5 Green): Target any terrain. Until the terrain face is changed, add the water (green) element to the target terrain. Multiple castings target multiple terrains.
Camouflage (2 Gold): Target one health-worth of your units. Until the beginning of your next turn, only melee effects can affect the target unit and only melee damage can kill a camouflaged unit. The target unit cannot be promoted. Multiple castings increase the number of health affected.
Leaving (8 gold): Target all of your armies. Until the beginning of your next turn, for any army-targeting effect that causes damage to a target army, any units taken as casualties immediately go to any other of your armies at a terrain rather than the DUA. This spell can be cast only once per magic action.
Wall of Thorns (8 Green): Target any terrain not already under the effects of a Wall of Thorns spell or currently at the 8th face. Until the end of your next turn, any army making a maneuver attempt that results in changing the terrain face causes damage to itself equal to the total health-worth of units in the army. Roll the army; each melee result reduces the damage by one point. Multiple castings target multiple terrains.
Water of Life (3 Green): Target one health-worth of units in your DUA. Target units immediately join the casting army. Multiple castings increase the number of health affected.

The Treefolk also have access to several powerful Green and Gold spells:
· Dust to Dust provides an option to bury units in their opponents DUA, permitting the Treefolk player to pursue a battle of attrition by denying opponents the opportunity to bring back their dead;
· Flash Flood, cast under the right circumstances, can change the flow of the game, especially when it successfully takes control of a terrain away from your opponent;
· Stoneskin is an army-protection spell, and is especially useful when fighting Scalders in melee to counter their Scorching Touch racial ability, or enemies that have the Counter and Volley SAIs;
· Path a very useful spell to suddenly re-deploy your units, and is frequently used to “steal a victory” when a terrain is at the seventh face;
· Transmute Rock to Mud is useful as part of a maneuver strategy, but recognize that it only affects normal maneuvers and has no effect on maneuvers from SAIs, like Fly, Rend, Teleport, and Trample;
· Watery Double is a useful, low-cost protection spell, that stays in effective for Dragon attacks the next round;
· Wall of Ice generates a few quick saves (even if temporary ones), often helping your army survive an attack, only to better fortify their position next turn;
· Wall of Fog is a useful protection spell, especially against missile-intensive armies;
· Dragon summoning is important as a means to whittle away your opponent’s forces, and both Green and Red Dragon breath have the potential to bury enemy units; and
· Summon Dragonkin can provide important protection for your magicians, both in saves and the ability to melee, and remember that Dragonkin are eligible for promotion at a City 8th Face, a dragon’s Treasure Chest, or after a dragon has been killed. A Dragonkin Champion can have an important effect in the game. Dragonkin are like bonus units, but can’t move from the terrain they have been summoned at.

Strategy
Treefolk have a number of significant advantages:
1) Terrain: The Swampland terrain allows Treefolk to double both green and gold magic, but note that the Swampland Standing Stones offers no additional benefits.
2) Racial Abilities: Both racial abilities are extremely useful and applicable throughout the game. Double Maneuvers makes maneuvering against Treefolk difficult, and Replanting allows the Treefolk player to optimize his existing army after suffering any losses.
3) Racial Spells: The Treefolk racial spells have great defensive value (Camoflage, Leaving, Water of Life) and terrain control (Call Water, Wall of Thorns), and they work just as well with non-Treefolk allies.
4) Wild Growth SAI: This SAI will prove useful for both Treefolk and non-Treefolk units. It's a resource for promoting Dragonkin, as well as recovering units in the DUA.

Treefolk can pursue any strategy:
Magic: The Elder Dryad is very reliable for generating magic. Green and Gold magic have a lot of defensive options for a melee or missile (Leaving, Stoneskin, Wall of Fog, Wall of Ice, Water of Life) strategy and can promote a maneuver strategy (Flash Flood, Path, Transmute Rock to Mud, Wall of Thorns), but don’t have many offensive options. Call Water can be used to add the green color to a terrain, so the Flatlands and Highlands can be given the green color, allowing the Treefolk to double green and gold magic. Combinations with Feral, Scalders, and Swamp Stalkers can expand the options for more offensive magic, while sharing a common color.
Missile: There are only 4 Treefolk missile units (Pineling, Pine, Prince Pine, and Satyr), but they are well focused and rely on the Volley SAI. Consider a combination with another race that uses the Bullseye SAI.
Melee: The Treefolk have a large selection of units and monsters to build a melee and/or melee/maneuver strategies with. The Oak units are extremely reliable for melee, but have no maneuver icons. The Willows and “cavalry” units maneuver well and have save faces, but are not as reliable for melee. The Darktree, Redwood, Strangle Vine, and Unicorn are all good monsters for melee, with the Unicorn being more useful at maneuvers.

Army Construction
Pick strengths to match your strategy or game-plan.
This 36-health “single-race” Treefolk army was built for a melee/maneuver strategy and uses commons, uncommons, rares, and a monster to take advantage of promotion opportunities from Wild Growth and the racial ability Replanting.
1 x Oak Lord, 1 x Oak, 1 x Lady Nereid, 1 x Naiad, 1 x Nymph, 1 x Noble Willow, 1 x Willowing, 1 x Unicorn, 2 x Elder Dryad, 2 x Dryad, 1 x Hamadryad
The Oak units and Dryad units don’t have any maneuver icons, so maneuvering falls on the “cavalry” units, Noble Willow, Willowing and the Unicorn. Counter-maneuvering should not be a problem, due to the racial ability Double Maneuvers – but winning your own maneuver attempts might not be as easy. The magicians may be able to help you get a local superiority if they reach a magic face or an 8th face (by casting Path) or the Unicorn might offer a similar opportunity with Teleport. The magicians can also generate enough magic to summon Dragons (to discomfort your opponent) or Dragonkin (to protect the magicians) or defensive spells to protect the other part of your army. The racial spell Leaving can help you concentrate your forces if part of your army is outgunned at a melee face by simply attacking with the outgunned force after the spell is cast, and all the units that are taken as casualties rejoin the other part of your army. The racial ability Replanting lets you swap out any units you choose with any that are in the DUA on an equal health basis, so you may be able to surprise an opponent that thought he was going to have his way with your magicians, and now he has to deal with some melee units he thought were dead.

(Edited, 02-03-2009)
_________________
Daniel Burkley
US National Champion (DEXCON 2007, 2009, 2010)
World Champion (GENCON 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014)
Battlefest Champion (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2009, 2011, co-champion GENCON 2010, 2017 DEXCON 2011)
"No Magicians" (GENCON 2008)
"Single Race" (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2017, co-champion 2014)


Last edited by dburkley on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:28 am GMT; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin



Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 8982
Location: Evanston, IL

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Unicorn is not "extremely" rare, it's simply rare. It's the same rarity as a Phoenix for example. The Unicorn is not the only non-magician unit with Dispel Magic. The Gargoyle and Fenhound both have Dispel Magic, and have no magic icons.
_________________
You can never have too many dice.
First Place at the first ever Daemon Dice™ sealed starter tournament.
Battlefest tied for first GenCon 2012
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder



Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 7851
Location: Des Plaines, IL

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Call Water can be used to add the green color to a terrain, so the Flatlands and Highlands can be turned into Swamplands, allowing the Treefolk to double green and gold magic. Combinations with Feral, Scalders, and Swamp Stalkers can expand the options for more offensive magic, while sharing a common color.


Unlike Create mountain...which actually changes the terrain into a Highland...
Call water does not change the terrain into a Swampland.
I'm not saying that you were intending to say that the spell turns terrains into Swamplands...
but it should be worded another way...
so new players won't think that you can turn a terrain into a Swampland.

I understand you were just referencing that certain races could gain benefits to the additional color...
but the stickler is saying that the terrain turns into a Swampland.


Another thing I would add to the strategy...
would be Replanting/Noble Willow.
as a means of regenerating.
maybe it's too advanced for an overview of the race...
but it really is a nice way to bring this race back,
while wildgrowth can also can extend promotion to dragonkin and other races.
So maybe find a way to work this into the race description.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dburkley
rare
Director



Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 1197
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:30 am GMT    Post subject: Treefolk Racial Introduction Reply with quote

Valid and excellent points. Draft edited to account for these.
_________________
Daniel Burkley
US National Champion (DEXCON 2007, 2009, 2010)
World Champion (GENCON 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014)
Battlefest Champion (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2009, 2011, co-champion GENCON 2010, 2017 DEXCON 2011)
"No Magicians" (GENCON 2008)
"Single Race" (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2017, co-champion 2014)
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder



Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 7851
Location: Des Plaines, IL

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with Dan's Treefolk intro...
not sure where to post this...
but the Pineling at the SFR web site has an extra "2 missile face".

Nice die...but it does not exist.

Anyways...I'm posting this here...as not to bug anyone with new tasks...and as a reminder...in case the page gets updated.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 10550
Location: Cumming, GA - USA

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Rayborn wrote:

but the Pineling at the SFR web site has an extra "2 missile face".


if its the page I think you are refering too its been that way for years. good catch. can you post the URL and I'll look it up?
_________________
Multiplayer Champion Gencon11/Battlefest Champion(tied) GenCon10/World Champion GenCon07/National Champion Origins05/Intermediate Champion GenCon02/Novice Champion Origins99
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder



Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 7851
Location: Des Plaines, IL

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really liking the pineling for a second there...
should have known better... Laughing

http://www.sfr-inc.com/treefolk.htm

http://www.sfr-inc.com/races/pineling_id.jpg

the mouse roll over image will need to be replaced....is my guess.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin



Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 8982
Location: Evanston, IL

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed.
_________________
You can never have too many dice.
First Place at the first ever Daemon Dice™ sealed starter tournament.
Battlefest tied for first GenCon 2012
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group