SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products
 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well, what have I missed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esteemed Author

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Well, what have I missed? Reply with quote

Greetings, forum!

Yeah, it's me, back to wreak havoc and give Chuck side-noogies.

Just for a brief update on the health situation...

I have spent the last year being closely monitored by a slew of doctors, having MRIs almost every two weeks, and waiting for them to decide what to do about this thing in my skull, which my family has named, Fred. I've also suffered horrible sickness and migraines from the anti-seizure medication I've been on, while also packing on about 25 pounds which is the only side-effect of said medication that really irritates me. I feel as bloated as Rosie O'Donnell.

Anyway, things came to a head (no pun intended, but hey, it's there), a couple of weeks ago when I was sent to the University Hospital in Denver. There I met the doctor that will perform my surgery, Dr. Kevin Lillihei. He's Nowegian, not Hawai'ian. The good news is that after a year, they have pretty much determined that while the mass is a tumor, it shows no indication of being cancerous, and is probably benign. The fact that there has been little to no change over the last year more or less proves this, but they won't know for sure until it's out.
Fortunately, Fred is in an area of the brain that we do not use (please hold all jokes until the end of the post), and luckily not where I would need to be awake for the procedure. It's pressing against the nerve cluster that is the secondary motor function area, which is causing electrical impulses to jump to the primary motor function area, and thus causing my seizures.
They are confident of my chances for survival, as this type of neurosurgery is pretty much textbook these days, and rate me close to 100%.
My surgery is scheduled for January 27th of next year. I'll check in at 6am and undergo deep cortical mapping (think MRI, only longer), and then get wheeled right into the OR. The operation will take 4-5 hours, and when it's all over, I should come out of it with no problems. I may face some numbness and/or weakness in my left arm for a couple of weeks, but then everything should be back to normal. Good news for me is that they won't have to shave my head! It will be a small 4 inch incision, and since it will be done with micro-scalpels and other smallish instruments, the crack in my skull will be minor. I'll get sealed up with a dozen staples or so, and spend less than a week in the hospital, but have about 6 weeks recovery time to lay around the house and annoy my wife.
I did ask if I could keep Fred in a jar, and the doc wanted to know why. "It's mine, isn't it?" I asked him. They'll need some of it for testing, but I don't think they took me seriously anyway. Bummer. I wanted some corrupt brain cells in a jar on my desk. What a conversation starter that would be for new friends! "Welcome to our home, want to see my tumor?"

Anyway, I'll be here in limited form for awhile at least, but wanted to take time to thank everyone who sent cards, prayers and good wishes, or helped out in some other way with our situation. The astronomical bills and expensive medication will soon be behind us, and life will go on.

Thanks again,

The Maj

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see what have you missed:

Acolytes of Eldarim (see many posts elsewhere about this).
Dragonkin are now packaged in their own expansion.
Eldarim champions are now in retail packaging (but you can still buy them in a zip-lock bag from us).
Steve decided not to be on the BoD anymore (but he did say "I'll be back!").
See the New Product forum for some behind the scenes look at next year's new product (note: if you are a stockholder in SFR you too can look).
Robert Braun is our rep director. Yep, that's Steve's eldest.
Cliff & Tiffany now live in Atlanta.
Chuck is now a Scoutmaster. New Eagle requirement: Dragon Dice™! ( Mr. Green ).
Jim has more posts on the forum than anyone else.
You can never have too many dice.
First Place at the first ever Daemon Dice™ sealed starter tournament.
Battlefest tied for first GenCon 2012
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Steve & Joe's World All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: