SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon Diceâ„¢ Trivia Quiz #11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> As Far South as you can be!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Dragon Diceâ„¢ Trivia Quiz #11 Reply with quote

In all the past official tournaments, which color of magic is most associated with the winning armies?

I dont actually know the answers but I am willing to bet one of the Admins do. (Sorry, Pelter, to high jack your series, but its been a couple years for you.)
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To take a crack at my own question, in hopes of finding out the real answer, I will say red, though gold maybe it.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I would say the color most associated with winning is gold due to Path/TrTM, followed by black (although less so than in the old days when it buried) thanks to FoD and Open Grave, then probably blue more so than red thanks to WW and LS. Green is definitely the weakest in terms of winning spells. I used to play Scalder missile with some magic, and red/green just didn't cut it much. The black/blue combo would be devastating, except that Frosties can't double (there's a reason for that!). Feral with blue/gold have an impressive combo.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Dragon Diceâ„¢™ Trivia Quiz #11 Reply with quote

ALL past official tournaments? All that data hasn't been tracked. If it were, that would cover some eras of changes in the rules - so that might skew the results, anyway.

I've seen each color of magic used to good effect as part of an effective strategy. Sometimes a single color is all that's needed, but multiple colors can work as well (or even better).

In a game of maneuver, black (Night Moves), blue (Wind Walk), gold (Path and Transmute Rock to Mud), and green (Flash Flood) spells can be effective at outmaneuvering your opponent's forces and capture two 8th Faces - in many instances without any significant combat.

In a game of attrition, black (Finger of Death, Ashes to Ashes), Blue (Lightning Strike), and Gold (Dust to Dust), plus any Dragon Summoning, can influence which army bleeds first or fastest. Red can dampen an opposing magic or missile-based army with Dancing Lights, or a slow but steady enhancement of an army with Burning Hands can make that "first contact" the last contact...

In a game of magic dominance, I see black and blue magic favored, as both have direct damage spells (and Necromantic Wave), but a game of maneuver can still be a winning strategy in a magic-dominated game, so defensive and restorative spells could try to undo the direct damage tactics while pursuing a position and maneuver strategy (usings spells like Hide and Path). Such a magic-heavy game could also evolve into a Dragon-dominated game.

But keep in mind that while magic could be a dominating influence, quite a few games are won without it - but I would venture to say that most games are won with the use of a little magic as a supporting role.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ok.... This is trivia question that I botched, I hope Pelter does not see this, and if so, I am sorry I botched your legacy.

This is still a very interesting topic though. I think dwarves seem to have very good magic access and ofcourse Undead.

I am gonna post in the strategies about this, I am enjoying just your guys' responses alone. Thnx for the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> As Far South as you can be! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: