SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It Begins...

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you look for most in a RPG?
An immersed story
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Fast game play
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Easy to learn rules
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Detailed battle mechanics
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I don't like RPGs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Users Voted : 17
Total Votes : 17
Detailed Results

Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:04 am GMT    Post subject: It Begins... Reply with quote

This is section of the forums is dedicated to Dragon Dice™ Quest. It is the new pen and paper role playing game coming out later this year. It uses a new rpg element, with the Dragon Dice™ you already know and love. You will play as the race you like and your character is built with different types if dice. By adding a role playing element to Dragon Dice™, it can introduce many more people to the game we love, in a new and exciting way. The most important part of a good story is the characters that make it, join the never ending battle of Quest and shape the world of Esfah.

The game will first come to light at Gencon this year. Tickets are still available; the event is only $2 so please check us out. The event will teach you the basics of the new game type and you can personally help the creators with making changes to the game.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The event will teach you the basics of the new game type and you can personally help the creators with making changes to the game.

"The creators" might want some help from creative people.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Rayborn wrote:
Quote:
The event will teach you the basics of the new game type and you can personally help the creators with making changes to the game.

bwhahaha i spelled it right in the gencon book.... didnt i?
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over my head I didn't spell anything wrong did I?
DarkKindness
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting for fast gameplay - I'm a huge fan of quick, streamlined systems like FUDGE/FATE... the rules of an RPG should be there to serve the story, not replicate a wargame or adjudicate every little issue.
Jace Thomas
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents:

In roleplaying, or any type of game, it's all about having fun. As it was stated before, there's no need to create overcomplicated rules or a ridiculously intricate storyline that just mores down gameplay. Which is why I don't play D+D, you spend hours making a really cool dude but then when you actually get around to playing there are just so many different random skills and talents and rules you never get to play your character the way you imagined when you were designing them.

And combat must be quick and dirty! We're all just here to murder some bandits and slay dragons, right? No need to overcomplicate it. If combat takes too long, then players will lose interest.

What I look for in a roleplaying experience is a chance to get a lot of cool stuff for my guy, and be able to use it. Not like in D+D or Diablo 2 or what have you when you spend tons of time doing some ridiculous quest or kill some boss and "oh boy, more lame weapons to sell!" With the Dragon Dice™ we could look for ways to constantly add more dice to your character, adding on more racial dice as he gains experience points and maybe more weapons / artifacts as he finds treasure. Maybe give him a pet dragonkin or a buddy dwarf or goblin or a pet tako or something to add dice from other races as he experiences political intrigues and makes new friends.

And one of the most important things about fast gameplay - make the rules very easy so that you can make a new character in no time. Players shouldn't become too attached to theory character - especially in a game like Dragon Dice™, there are so many awesome races you just want to play them all! Oops, my lava elf prince died, he had some cool stuff so I'll record his character information so that he can maybe come back as a zombie or something in another game. For now, time to try out a treefolk!

I realize that a lot of the appeal of a great RPG comes from having a great Grandmaster, but try and make the rules so that it is easier for them to create their own fun. Instead of having preset worlds, characters, gods, cultures and the like, maybe have a couple of lists and tables that'll make it easy for them to get a game world up and running. Maybe have some tables for what the dominant race in the setting will be, who are the bad guys, what kinds of dragons are going to be killing you, what deadly traps are in this room of the dungeon, etc. Remember, it doesn't have to make sense to be fun! A lot of fun from the old days of RPGs came from the unexpected. Maybe open the door and randomly enter a hot lava room, go in another room and it's a city of giants where the furniture is really huge? And if the gamemasters have complete control of their world, it'll be more fun. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with some random lists and tables of Dragon Dice™ theme cool stuff to pack into the game, and you could always come out with supplementary books with more stuff later! Also, since the people playing the game are already interested in Dragon Dice™, chances are they appreciate the fun and endless possibilities provided by a randomness generator like the dice, where nothing is ever certain. Which is why I suggest the random stuff tables - try and build upon themes already proven to be beloved by the Dragon Dice™ community.

Another important thing to go along with the fast-paced gaming style, and also the feel of Dragon Dice™ - it has to be aesthetically pleasing! The book must be filled with great artwork, cool templates for the text, great font, beautiful background and the like so that it will catch the eyes of players. Something unique, so that people won't just skim over it in the stores as "just another RPG" but as "wow, a Dragon Dice™ RPG?! Awesome!"

Just a few cents from a huge fan who loves Dragon Dice™.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
bwhahaha i spelled it right in the gencon book.... didnt i?

I was just hinting that "the creators" left me out of the loop.

It seems odd as I did offer to help with DUELS,
which Quest seems to be a spin off from.

http://sfr-inc.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=32

See Brainstorming Cool
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jace you couldn't have said it any better. I am trying my hardest to do exactly what you said. In a simple way of saying "making it old school." I would like to have very basic rules, more basic then the normal Dragon Dice™ rules. I have already created a table that makes out of combat tasks simple to understand. The table I have is a simple "if your this level, then you need to make this roll to succeed." I have always like the idea of the gamemaster coming up with unique things for their adventurers without being stopped by the rules.

I agree DnD has made things complicated making traps/etc have many different rules for each kind. I agree with the idea of things happening quick, so you can get back to the story. I like the idea, although have been guilty of it, of being too attached to a character. With the very dominate "death" magic in this world it is very possible a character can come back easily.

Jim I was unaware you were working on DUELS, I accept all help offered for the game. I don't want you to be upset and see me as a replacement. If there are any ideas please share them, this game is for all of us, it doesn't matter who put their name on it.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jim I was unaware you were working on DUELS, I accept all help offered for the game. I don't want you to be upset and see me as a replacement. If there are any ideas please share them, this game is for all of us, it doesn't matter who put their name on it.

I accept is not the same as inviting someone.

This project does not have the same tone as any project I have worked on.

I already had to bow out on Dan's project as my help was forced and not wanted.
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:33 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol i didn't mean it that way, you are "invited." If you really want to make this game I am happy showing you everything I have done and we can work together on combining old ideas with new. I am not trying to steal any ideas from anyone, it is as simple as cliff wanting me to help with an rpg, so I ran with it and came up with rules. I am sorry you were not included from the get go.
DeathBreed
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I actually disagree with the concept of not getting attached to my characters. When I create a character in an RPG, I tend to infuse that character's personality with some or all of my own, and tend to think of them as an avatar of myself in the world or universe of the game. For example, in D&D I tend often to play a paladin, and back when they were trying to codify alignment I almost always played a lawful character. In real life I tend towards being a proponent and follower of rules, and am somewhat idealistic in my beliefs in what's right vs. what's wrong (if you want to be critical, you could probably also argue that I'm closeminded and judgemental, I suppose). These characters *were* me, at least in part, and character death sucks when you have that type of attachment. That's certainly some of the fun of an RPG, for me: creating a character and infusing it with traits and personality and making it mine.

The only time I've ever played a game where my character was disposable was playing Paranoia... and in that game part of the fun is to get yourself into a messed up situation that results in your inevitable fragging, usually by your teammates. Laughing And then there's 4th ed. D&D, where it feels like they've gone out of their way to stunt roleplaying. I have to admit I'm a lot less attached to any of the characters I created in that system than prior versions of D&D.

Just my $.02, and I'd not be surprised to find that I'm in the minority on this.

-Shawn
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats because 4th isn't an RPG, its a miniatures game... but I won't get on that soap box.

Jim, don't take anything too personal. This project (like Dan's) is what I consider 'beta' until after Gencon. Those playtest events are when these will be proven or not and move into serious final design.

so please send ideas to Zero or post here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Dragon Dice: Quest All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: