SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coral Elves are slightly too powerful!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...
because of blue they are slightly more powerful...
which is why the blue home terrains have less magic.

Even with the specials,
blue magic is still scarce...
the grove might look attractive,
but you can't double.

There are some 2 blue faces...Castle and Vortex.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DialFforFunky wrote:
Skawilly wrote:
I think coral elves take only a few inches of understanding and the rest is smooth sailing.

Nice choice of words for a race that uses sailboats for maneuvers.

Har Har Har btw.
dproman
common
Rep Dragon

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Coral Elves are slightly too powerful! Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll take that bet.

Hey, I got an idea (very scary I know). Why don't we take Skawilly up on his challenge!
He can make up his Coral Elf army, bring it to PAX Prime.
You can PM me your challenge army and possible ways to implement their abilities. I will need/like 10 armies to complete his challenge. I will construct (to best of my demo collection's ability) each army and do battle over the course of the PAX weekend. What do ya think? Sound like fun? Help me out! I will document the results here.

What do you say, Skawilly? Are you ready to Tumble?! (those dice)

Last edited by dproman on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats 10 games of shelving the Undead.... Its not that I am afraid of the challenge, its that it may seem un acceptable. However, for the forum, I will certainly consider this. The only tainted thought is that your going to get a list of 10 armies that perfectly counter this strat. Still I think I might be able to punch through it.
dproman
common
Rep Dragon

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Coral Elves are slightly too powerful! Reply with quote

Yes, I'm throwing you to the wolves, but that's what friends are for (once in a while Laughing ).
I think that you'll be able to punch through it just fine, besides, it makes for great entertainment here on the forum. Very Happy This could be fun.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in. I've got a 36-point Treefolk list that I think will best it, and it's not even designed with CE in mind. I don't have all the dice for it, so Dave will have to build it.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Coral Elves are slightly too powerful! Reply with quote

dproman wrote:
I will construct (to best of my collection's ability) each army
So no problem implementing my army of 6 Searers and 6 Infernos?
Twisted Evil
Quote:
The only tainted thought is that your going to get a list of 10 armies that perfectly counter this strat.
its not that uncommon of a strat. any decent tournament army should be able to handle it.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, at our weekly meet up yesterday, I busted out my wifes coral elves. It was a 3 FFA games, and BOTH other players were horded up. I have my lights/calv on one coastland and my mages on another and I was still able to take the game

Said this many a time. Just play really defensively and just slowly take your 8th no one is gonna stop you. I mean, the light/calv were taking showers of ranged from frostwing and fingers of death from the undead but just not doing enough to stop them from slowly grabbing that 8th.

REALLY powerful race here, lavas too, all you have to do is stick to your homeland, thats it.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:33 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously Sometimes, because of these guys, I wish I had based my collection around coastland and not swampland. This is single handedly my favorite race I think.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strat was simple actually. I had 2 heralds, 3 knights, 2 horsemen and a Gryphon as my horde, moving the second terrain up.

I have 2 rare, 3 uncommon and 2 common coral elf mages with a genie as my mages on my home casting/ressing defensively.

When I got my 8th face I did horde up. BUT... When either my genie rolled firewalking or my gryphon rolled ferry during my magic action, i did a move with them and then just windwalked them to high heavens. It was glorious.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard strat that can be done with most any race.

half cav, half magic. grab an 8th and then focus on windwalk/path to get another.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true, but it had an 'unstandard method'. In that, you rely on the SAI's activating before announcing your spells so that you can get those Windwalks off. The 2nd unconventional part is that no gold was harmed in the making of that post. Something to consider for others.
evylution
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally feel the coral elves are one of the wearker races...
thats just my opinoin. but get them out of their element and they are done. i think lava elves are way better simply because of the distribution of magic on a highland. plus i havent lost to a coral elf army yet in a duel so i am yet to be overwhelmed by them.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evylution. I am glad you posted. I am driving through Good Ol' California this summer... I might just be bringing some Coral Elves with me, but it all depends.
jgallahan26
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its coral elves in general that are slightly to powerful...but I do think wind walk is. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you cast wind walk on a coral elves army at a Coastland do they not get four maneuvers along with four saves for only four points of magic?!!!
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgallahan26 wrote:
I don't think its coral elves in general that are slightly to powerful...but I do think wind walk is. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you cast wind walk on a coral elves army at a Coastland do they not get four maneuvers along with four saves for only four points of magic?!!!

No, just maneuvers. The maneuvers are added after racial abilities are applied.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skawilly wrote:
Evylution. I am glad you posted. I am driving through Good Ol' California this summer... I might just be bringing some Coral Elves with me, but it all depends.

You should come all the way down to San Diego! Coral Elves vs. Coral Elves. Very Happy
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Dolus, that was our destination. The trip got cancelled though. BUT I do wanna try again next year sometime. I might be taking a train to Irvine in February though.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skawilly wrote:
Actually Dolus, that was our destination. The trip got cancelled though. BUT I do wanna try again next year sometime. I might be taking a train to Irvine in February though.

Ooh. Irvine's pretty close. We'll have to get in touch around that time. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: