SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reprint Rarities?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpkenney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reprint Rarities? Reply with quote

Looking at Chuck's trading pages, it looks like when SFR reprinted FrostWings & Scalders they didn't improve the frequency of the rarer dice. Why not? To preserve collectability (i.e. the owners' investments)? What are the dice rarities in the reprints?
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:30 pm GMT    Post subject: rarities Reply with quote

in one collectors oppinion, the scalder/frostwing reruns were the worst thing sfr could have done.the only reason i see that they did this was so some of the new owners of the game could get a hold of some of the extremely rare dice(i.e. the unseali fearie). i'm glad the game was bought out by sfr so that it could still live, but i believe they should have sunk their cash into new product and advertising to get more people exposed to the game instead of repopulating older races. just a thought, den
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cost too much to make all new molds in order to change the rarities. So the same molds were used, which resulted in the same rarities. So it's still insanely difficult to get an Unseelie Faerie. BTW, I do have an extra original one at the moment.... Wink
Netherworlder
dragonsteed

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not have been possible to simply "block" some parts of the mold by not putting in the plastic or physically filling in the mold with metal to even things out? It would have resulted in more runs to print the same number of dice, but it would have evened things out a bit and I think the reprints would have sold better. I know I would have bought some.
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netherworlder wrote:
Would it not have been possible to simply "block" some parts of the mold by not putting in the plastic or physically filling in the mold with metal to even things out? It would have resulted in more runs to print the same number of dice, but it would have evened things out a bit and I think the reprints would have sold better. I know I would have bought some.

I can't speak for SFR's situation specifically, but that is not a possibility due to extra costs, too many chances for error, and possibility of damage to the molds.
I looked into creating a mold for an action figure some years ago, and even back then, a mold cost, at minimum, for one figure, $50,000. I imagine a mold for 60 dice is larger, has more mold facings to create, and costs more than that, even in 1995-7 dollars.

Plus, consider the feeling of betrayal that the most die-hard DD fans who had worked through money and trades to acquire all the dice would have felt at seeing the value of their best dice destroyed. This is a no-win situation for SFR, because somebody isn't going to be happy. I think they picked the best choice, though, in getting some sets that had been very hard to find out there, even if the "holy grail" aspect stayed with some dice.

That said, if they do get things going off the ground well, I would like to see SFR take a page out of Decipher's book and issue a "Reflections" sort of set, that would encompass all previous sets in a way to preserve general value of the originals, but give more people a chance at some of the rarest dice. Decipher, to my understanding, never ruined the value of the Star Wars ccg rares that they re-issued as foils(the Decipher cards all tanked in value when they lost the license; however, that had nothing to do with re-issuing in easily-identifiable different versions the best and rarest cards.)
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE.: reprint rares
If I, as a newbie, may add my opinion, I'd say that reprinting rare dice would be the worst thing to do!!! What makes this game interesting? First of all the idea to play a fantasy table top rpg by using dice (a fantastic idea), second there's a lot of different races to choose your favourites from (keeps it fresh and avoids the players boredness) and third, there's the opportunity to collect the dice. I'm mainly a collector simply due to lack of playing partners. In fact I really thought the game was absolutely dead, 'cause no-one I asked knew anything about this game, you couldn't get any dice by looking for or advertising in lokal newspapers, and the last dice I purchased in 1997 were a sellout product of a hidden store in the "you-don't-want-to-go-there-at-night"-part of a medium-size city in Germany!! After that my dice just layed there in their dark box (poor babies Laughing ) for years. Now that I FINALLY made it to get online (until 1st. of January this year i belonged to the rare species of "homo sapiens offlinus" Wink ) I noticed what was and still is going on in the new starting DD-community and I'm very happy about that!!!!! The fact that keeps me with this game is the try to get older rare dice to complete my collection step by step. I absolutely agree with deputy five! I would bite my butt when seeing a dice I fought for in hard trading"fights" beeing sold in dozens as a reprint. Well, I might be strong enough to live with reprints that are definitely different to the originals (maybe add a third colour, IDs in different ink or add a seventh side to the dice---I'm just kidding with this last one Twisted Evil ). That would give beginners the chance to get those dice without ruining the collector's worth! And I would have a new collector's item to go for Wink ! But PLEASE(!!!) do not reprint the originals in detail!!! Regards, Dieter
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry on that score. The Scalder and Frostwing reprints were done with a different color of ink. Since the ink color in Dragon Dice™ has no meaning, this is enough difference to make them different for the collectors, but enough the same that it doesn't matter to the players. I don't know if SFR is going to reprint any dice other than the starters, but if they do, they will change the ink color to make that reprint kicker different.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case it's just fine that way! As long as the reprints are easy to tell apart from the originals it's a welcome service of SFR to the players AND collectors. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> SFR Operations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: