SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

single or multi racial armies?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalsith
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:40 pm GMT    Post subject: single or multi racial armies? Reply with quote

Just curious what your choice is. Ive played on and off for a while now and really only have ever played single race armies except when I throw a Troll into a undead army. How often do you play multi race armies and whats everyones preference?
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on my mood really. Single race i can keep track of magic easily. Where multi race you have to split up the magic by color (unless they share color) and racial.

Now some times i dedicate one race to a particular action. For example my feral/ Frostwing army. My feral focus on maneuvers and magic where the frostwings focus on maneuver and melee. (Main reason being is i have like 6 frostwing mages lol)

If i do single race just depends on how i want to play. I will always love the Feral and the Frostwings. However I just got in a good set of Lava Elves i want to try out and i have been wanting some Swamp Stalkers too.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a lot of single race for simple fun games, but if I'm really going for blood, I almost always play mixed race. Goblin/SS, TF/Scalder, Amazon/Frostwing, etc.
Drachenwurfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its best to decide what you wish to do with that Army, and then looking for the Dice to make it.

Last edited by Drachenwurfel on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:39 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single race with the occasional splash of Eldarim.
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drachenwürfel wrote:
I think its best to decide what you wish to do with that Army, and then looking for the Dice to make it.

This is certainly true for how I normally approach armybuilding. I think of a general strategy of a specific power you want to make the most of, and build the army around that concept. If the power is racial, it might pay to make the army consist of a single race (treefolk, firewalkers and undead are good examples). However, the power might also be a SAI or a specific spell. For example, treefolk and scalders go along nicely if you want to cast the krakatoa-combo (volcanic eruption + tidal wave), as treefolk can cast call water, making all red terrains potential targets. Finally, there's the power-die approach, where I just stick together the most powerful dice in a combination of my preference and go with that (I dislike this path). Of course, it isn't all that black and white, and the approaches blend in to one another, but you get the idea: for me, decisions on race are secondary to decisions about concept.

F
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it always depends on what your trying to do. But thats the boring answer.

I think it depends on the race you place. Some of them operate best solo. Undead magic and convert with stepped damage is far more powerful without any dilution and thats of both mages or troops. Feral effects and magic, again, is great on other ferals. Where as I think amazons do very well mixing it up. Treefolk are iffy either way. Replanting is SWEET but they have no offensive magic, so... Coral elves are a super easy time taking their home terrain solo. Firewalkers are AWESOME as fifth wheels though. I hate to say it and will get reemed, but build any army and just bring ONE geenie along, I dont think you will regret it. They make great 'Johnny on the Spot' folk and their magic is fantastic in little pinches. Swamp stalkers are actually another one on the fence. Their racial only requires a few points to pull off. I suppose if you bring them souly for Mire, so'l good.

Oh, and Egg is FAMOUS for bringing various colors of champ's at any given time with any given build.
Archaia
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back into it but have been playing a lot, and for storyline reasons I play only Lava Elves, but can use undead as well with them, but I can see if your are just playing to win, then use whatever mixed up armies but I like the fluff, the narrative of Esfah.I mean I could see some races going either way, toward Lord Death or Nature. Like feral, maybe some got twisted by evil, or maybe an alliance of convenience or survival? Frostwings seem to be like feral but they are made by Lord Death so some turn to recognized and prove themselves worth of his creation, or as they were abandoned they seek a new identity and lean more toward Nature. Firewalkers are from the sun right, so they seem pretty optional to become part of any army.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the Acolytes of Eldarim. If you like back-story, they could be mercenaries for any race.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Archaia
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on buying some acolytes, along with many other dice, but I used to have Tome of Tarvanehl, and the other little booklet but I dont what happened to it over the years.
loligarchy
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally play single race armies with my friends for simplicity's sake, we still haven't made use of dragonkin or magic items either.
I would like to start expanding into those and multiracial armies as well though, going more for a specific strategy than not, but who knows when my group will feel comfortable with doing so.
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Army Construction Reply with quote

The game format will have a major impact on construction options, but if it's "Anything Goes" among friends, the next limitation will be the collections that each friend has (assuming you want a fair set of games). I'll tend to use an army that has dice from several different races.

A "Battlefest"-type game with no limitations will challenge the player to come up with what he believe is the best combination of dice to construct the best army out of all their dice available (and then the player has to have the knowledge base and tactics to use that army effectively to implement the strategies that were inspired during construction). That's a lot of dice options to consider, as well as racial abilities, spells, SAIs, and terrains.

A number of the Intermediate formats have army construction limitations, such as Single Race or Constructed Starter, but are easier for newer players with smaller collections of dice - but still challenging and fun to play (and learn more about playing the game). I prefer to play these more, as most of my friends like this format and don't play often, so it's easy for them to get re-acquainted with the game and play competently.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: