SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An April's Fools joke that went out of control
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What SFR needs before we can get a new Commanders' Manual, is someone to author it. Many have volunteered, none have done anything. Print on demand would not be a problem. The problem is pulling the material together.

Ads in the game industry mags would hurt us. One quarter-page ad for 12 months in any of the popular mags, would cost us more than we make each year. We tried a few ads, and got just about zero for our troubles.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
digitalsith
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another vote for a DCM2. I still regularly flip through mine, its seen the john several hundred times lol. I wonder if something like Lulu.com would be good for such a thing. Lot's of small (and great) RPG's are taking advantage of services like Lulu. Even some of the bigger RPG companies like White Wolf are trying to move to print on demand. You could have a pdf and a print version of DCM2. I'd buy them both. Mr. Green
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to be a big dog, or get off the front porch and let Dragon Dice™™ go the way of the Doe-Doe. Are you a real business or not?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggsaladsandwich wrote:
Try to be a big dog, or get off the front porch and let Dragon Dice™™™ go the way of the Doe-Doe. Are you a real business or not?
Actually in many ways we are not a real business. No one gets paid for working for SFR. So don't be insulting to the few people that devote their time to promoting and making this game stay alive. If Cliff and I were to "walk off the job", this game would stop existing in short order. Please keep that in mind.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if someone wants to take $100,000 or so out of their own pocket to add to the SFR coffers, we could probably create a really snazzy national ad campaign. Or make new dice. But not both.

Another alternative would be to raise our prices. If we charged $35 for a starter, and $15 per box for kickers, we'd ake a lot more money from sales. Assuming, of course, that the price increases didn't kill of our sales.

Any takers? Didn't think so.

I love to read the ideas and discussions for the game, but the bottom line is that SFR is a tiny company run by a few dedicated lovers of the game with no compensation other than keeping Dragon Dice™ alive. We'd love to be Hasbro, but we aren't. So that reality helps to shape the decisions made concerning the game.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a lot of excuses, either commit or quit. If this game is to be, it will need advertisement investment from the owners.. I'm not intending to be insulting, you just have to realise this is how business is run. I love this game and regularly introduce new players to it, however I always have to tell them that it is hard to find, not well advertised and may drop off the map at any moment.nuff said...
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's enough. I now officially quit as President of SFR. If you want the job it's yours.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggsaladsandwich wrote:
Sounds like you have a lot of excuses, either commit or quit.
wow. just wow. So I should be expecting your check in the mail any time now? or a print ready PDF for the new DCM you will author for us?

Using vacation time to pay our own way to goto conventions to promote a game, instead of using it for... family or personal or anything else?

Devoting large amounts of our time and living space? dragging thousands of boxes of unsold product across the country?

If thats not commited, then I should be.

All those who know, know that should Chuck and I 'walk' that this game would last a week and then be completely forgotten in a month. I have no illusions that anyone will remember it fondly once its gone, but while it is here. My committed goal is to keep that candle burning for as long as we can. If that means trimming the wick to save the oil, then so be it. Until you've had a successful business using another strategy, don't tell that the way I do anything is wrong.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations eggsaladsandwich. Sounds like you're the new president. Where is our advertisements? I just got done watching Mad Men on Hulu and not only did I not see any product placement in the show, I didn't see any ads during Hulu. Why are you slacking? You made this sound like such a piece of cake!
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, I'm not much into the game, yet, but want to be. I've now got a few hundred dice on the way this week or next from recent trades and retail purchases. I do appreciate what both of you have done for this product. You've saved the game from going extinct over a year ago, reminded people that the game is not dead, it's still alive, and helped it grow without any salaried/paid staff. You two have done an excellent job with this game.
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, you guys have got to "harden your shells" . If one "customer" can get your goats that easily, OMG, this game is dead already. Start acting like professionals and you will become professionals! You bought a game..what the heck did you think you were getting into. I reiterate, commit or quit, but I am just a fan/collector/player so take my oppinion as such...sheesh, if you have such an open nerve about this, guess i should start selling my collection on ebay asap. Rolling Eyes
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:
Congratulations eggsaladsandwich. Sounds like you're the new president. Where is our advertisements? I just got done watching Mad Men on Hulu and not only did I not see any product placement in the show, I didn't see any ads during Hulu. Why are you slacking? You made this sound like such a piece of cake!

When they send me all the remaining and upcomming product, I will be happy to assume the role of President of the company...
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me your address, and a check for the shipping (it won't be cheap).

Yes, you hit a nerve. I just spent the last 4 hours getting packed and ready for PAX East. In my current job, I have no vacation time. So when I don't work, I don't get paid. I'm going to Boston this weekend, I paid for the plane, I'll pay for my own meals, I'll be paying for sharing a motel room. What do I get for that? 3 days of standing for 9+ hours at a show. And you are not "one customer". I thought you knew what the score here is, and you continued piling on the crap.

So I'm going to leave this up for one hour, and then I'm deleting the entire thread. However, I've had it. I will not be running for President again this year, I'm not even sure I want to bother with being on the Board of Directors.
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then Dragon Dice™ is officially dead..thats on your head (you own the company) , not mine. Sorry it was such a burden for you, what with your thousands of dice in your collection. Thanks for the extended life you gave Dragon Dice™...
lokidchser
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck & cliff

i know the job you do is thankless, so i want to extend my appreciation for all you've done for the game e all love.

thanks to all the staff at SFR
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how announcement thread could have turned it to such a fiery criticism of how the company is run.

Egg i have to disagree with you on this in the 21st century i don't see a point in using a gaming magazine as a good marketing tool. I think using the sources provided by social media give a better chance in gathering more players. Game Cons help too. I am working on a video of how to play the game, which will probably help get folks to see what it is and how to play the basics.

Egg Id love to see the company go big like you probably envision, however unless any of us here won the megamillions jackpot i don't see that happening. (I was actually planning to invest if i had won ;P).

I think Chuck and Cliff and others (I am new hear guys so i don't know all of you so give me a break) work in their free time to support a game they are passionate about. Their sacrifice of time, energy and money is appreciated.
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Might as well post my less-than-two-cents on the topic at hand.

I really, really appreciate everything you guys have done to keep this game going. If you hadn't taken it up, I'd have never found it, and I'd have never started playing and collecting. I'm very much grateful for all the work you've done, and I know you guys sacrifice a lot for this game, labor of love that it is.

I dedicate a lot of my time and energy as well, promoting the game, running demos for new players and carting my dice everywhere to show anyone I can. I got a few new players last month all buying dice, so I'm trying to do what I can with the time I have.

That being said, Egg needs to take a look at what he's saying. "You should drop a few hundred thousand dollars on advertising for this game" isn't something to be taken lightly. I certainly don't have that kind of money, do you? If so, feel free to purchase some ad space for SFR. Or just spend those hundreds of thousands on packs of dice so they can get enough profits to do so.

It's not as if SFR is Wizards of the Coast. They don't have millions in investors or corporate expense accounts. It's not a simple "Just buy some ads". It could very well be "Take out another mortgage on your house to get some cash flow for some ads". That would be incredibly reckless and irresponsible to do, Dragon Dice™ be damned.

If the game grows, even slowly, it has hope. If the game explodes and SFR takes off, then that's great! If the game dies, then so be it. I will buy up as much as I can and continue to love it. Regardless, I appreciate everything the team has done so far to keep this thing around, and I don't plan to jump ship over a silly squabble.

That being said, if there are responsibilities that I can take over or assist with, let me know. I work for just above minimum wage, so I can't invest (unfortunately), but if there are other tasks to be done that can help, I'd be happy to do anything within my capabilities.
digitalsith
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off. I'd like to thank Chuck and Cliff for all their hard work and commitment, and I hope that your leaving the company was said in frustration. There are a lot of people who don't think like egg. I buy as much as I can and demo as much as I can. I know it's not like the contribution you two make, but I'd like to see this game keep going.

Second, I got into this game to escape the money draining and stress of playing Magic and Warhammer. It was they day I nearly leaped over the table to kill my opponent that I knew I needed out. This was a happy medium for me, not too expensive, not too stressful to keep up with, without constant waves of new shit, making old shit completely obsolete and kids walking around with $1000 decks of cards. This game has a small but growing niche of players. It's fun, and it needs only a bit of polish to really shine. Most importantly rulebook layout IMO.

Third, I hope to see the awesome power of the BAN HAMMER right about now, you've got my vote!!! Mr. Green

PS, I'm working on a forum sig like mine, it's clickable and brings you straight to the store Smile, it'll say buy more dice or something cute. I encourage you all to use it, on every forum you are on. It's free advertising!
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, Pat, Cliff, Miss Tiffany, Board Members...
and all others who have contributed to the continued growth of Dragon Dice™:

THANK YOU !!!

Just thinking about the money you've invested; the hours you've given to develop and represent Dragon Dice™; the cost to you and your families, because you were taking care of the game... it blows my mind. I don't think I could put a price on it.

It's easy to see that your giving is motivated by your love of the game; not a desire to enrich yourselves.

And, even though the Dragon Dice™ community is small , this game has continued to grow, year after year after year....
There are a lot of us out here who are truly thankful for all your hard work.

Please don't be disheartened because of the braying of one individual... he doesn't speak for the rest of us.

ED

Last edited by Spesh on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:42 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
Drachenwürfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say it in my words: Egg, are you Crazy???
What Chuck and the BoD does, is a Great Job.

And to Chuck: dont do that.
Egg is only one player, i really think all other players know how Hard you work.

Last edited by Drachenwürfel on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:59 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: