SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An April's Fools joke that went out of control
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some sense, Egg is right. SFR is not a company of this time. Rather, the many hours of genuine dedication, regardless of the cost, have allowed it to stay the gorgeous little company that it is now. With all sorts of flashy big shots in the gaming industry, it might be hard to appreciate the smaller companies. But SFR managed to keep Dragon Dice™ going and growing, which is an achievement that I think should not be underrated in any way. Thanks.

F
Matthias Maccabeus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egg - What's that old saying? Put your money where your mouth is.

Cliff and Chuck already have. Cool
HeroScape - Tree Town Open Champion (2008, 2016), Nebraska Skirmish Champion (2008, 2010) GenCon LightWeight Champion (2009), GenCon General Wars (Aquilla Champion 2009) GenCon Unique Hero Champion (2009, 2010)
Dragon Dice™ - Gen Con Worlds Champion 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017 O Town 2013 Overall Winner
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my money where my mouth is every time i buy another starter or booster that i dont need, just to give them away to new players. It was seeing terms like BoD (board of directors), president, treasurer etc that led me to believe SFR was a much bigger company than it is. If I stepped on anyones toes, I apologize.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP

First of all...
a new president needs to be voted in.

Second...
Chuck you are not quitting,
I forbid it.

I think the forum members have crossed the line of respect far too many times,
and that is mainly because of the freedom given.
At one time,
forum members literally fished for responses,
in hopes of a comment from the BOD.

Now it seems that it's allot of throwing stones into the lake of dragons, only to prompt an irritating response.

So this open forum has lost it's respect... in my opinion.

It's a shame,
I really enjoy the closed doors forum much better,
not because of its secrecy,
rather the behavior is civilized, while still competitive,
and mostly because it is run with respect.
dproman
common
Rep Dragon

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:40 am GMT    Post subject: 2012 Second Quarter - New product releases Reply with quote

Is there any way that we can back to the original topic of this post? The awesome new products that SFR Inc. (Chuck, Cliff, BoD, stockholders, reps) are making possible. I can't wait to here the news! Very Happy

But first, I started re-collecting DD a number of years ago. In 2009 I spent over $1200 to be at GenCon for one purpose ONLY, to meet the people of SFR Inc. Not one penny wasted! That is why I returned with a couple of new reps the following year. I'm very happy and proud to be a part of the "family". I wish that I could afford to fly out there every year (I miss you ALL!), so instead, I spearhead the effort to run SFR Inc.'s presence at PAX Prime in Seattle (in August). Now that I've met everyone (or at least a good number of them), I have an understanding of 'where they are coming from' and I know (or have a pretty good idea) what they are trying to say in their posts. I took the time to meet the people I interact with. I wish that you all could do the same, BEFORE criticisms or critiques are made!
This game is experiencing a tremendous comeback because of Chuck, Cliff, BoD, NOT because I buy a few packs and give them away! Thank You SFR Inc!

Now can we please get back to the new release info! Very Happy

Dave
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Now that April Fool's is over, we can hear about the top secret fifth monsters that will also be released for CE, LE, and Amazons! And the revamped 3-player starters with those three races with the new monsters and magic items and dragonkin. I am so excited!

I can't wait to hear the serious announcements. Very Happy
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cafepress.com/dragondicesfr.19828345

plus we have the new Convention T available...featuring the Dwarves Kicker.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggsaladsandwich wrote:
I put my money where my mouth is every time i buy another starter or booster that i dont need, just to give them away to new players. It was seeing terms like BoD (board of directors), president, treasurer etc that led me to believe SFR was a much bigger company than it is. If I stepped on anyones toes, I apologize.
well, its midnight and i should be sleeping, but i started this brush fire and after 24 hours i should try to contain it.

Egg, i cant apoligize for WHAT i said, but i will apoligize for HOW i said it and thus inviting others to respond in similar veins. I understand what you mean about buying dice you dont need and appriciate every player who has ever given away dice. I have novdesire to lose a player over this. I have no desire to ban anyone.

I will share that im in the middle of a family vacation with 4 kids. After working all day friday i drove 6 hours, then after sleeping for 4 i drove another 6 and immediately started touring DC. then we drove another 6 hours and paid 48$ in tolls and immediately started touring new york. I know that i have another 5 hour driving and another 30$ in tolls coming up, then a three day convention and a 20 hour nonstop drive with another 78$ in tolls to be back to work. That is the state on mind i was in last night. It doesnt change what i said, but it does helpvexplain how i said it. It explains a state of mind i should not have been posting in.

Now, you do have some valid points. There is a tipping point where we cant continue to operate the way we have been. There are also several tjings in the industry that restrict us. The distributors control the hobby game market right now, not the players or the makers or advertising. It is a dictatorship that even with advertising on every channel available, the distributors still refuse to cooperate. That is just one example of how the industry restricts us and we have no control. Another is perception. We do put on a pretty facade because no one will buy into a game that is two guys and a garage ( we arent that small, but to make a point). Many of the big game companies are a lot smaller than you would expect. Even wotc started as a garage company and has a relatively small fulltime staff. These are the types of things we need shareholders to bring to the attention of the rest of us. Its not my company, i was just entrusted the job if making decisions for it. If im doing a poor job then there is q process to replace me.

Im sure chuck and i will discuss this several times over this coming weekend. We do wear more than one hat and will have to consider them each carefully and separately.

Btw i hate posting from my evo so forgive typos.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff yeah those tolls suck so much :/ .

I did not realize the distributors were being dictators .

Wish i was going to Pax East id be helping you guys.
digitalsith
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:09 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope you guys keep going. Keep this game alive. Slow but steady, the player base will continue to grow. I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that if theres anyway we can help share the load please let us know.

Maybe you make a volunteer section for the forum. You could list jobs you need done and people that could do them could volunteer to do them.
dragonmount
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has been on the business end (somewhat) of reviving a near-dead collectible game I can say one thing for near certain:

Advertising doesn't work.

At least not the type of advertising you're thinking of...

The money spent on print advertising (assuming one could find a publication suitable in which to advertise Dragon Dice™ without use of a time machine) would not bring in enough new players to justify the cost.

One of the best ways to advertise Dragon Dice™ is word of mouth. Concerted grassroots efforts to get Dragon Dice™ on your FLGS shelves and on the regular gaming schedule will sell more dice in the long run than any advertising campaign would. And again I speak from experience when I say that building local support for a small market game is hard work.

If I were in charge of an organized campaign to revive Dragon Dice™ on a large scale I would start by getting retailers on your side. A small business owner needs a reason to take a chance by devoting shelf space to a game that they may have to work to sell. (as opposed to putting another box of Magic or WoW boosters out and calling it a day.) One way is to get them to love the game; a sting presence at the GAMA Trade Show will help this; as will a generous return policy. (which Dragon Dice™ may be too small to offer.)

Another important step is to make it easy for new players to learn and teach the game and give incentives to do so. This means a more focused starter product with a streamlined set of rules appropriate for beginners and to relax and/or rewrite the DD Rep policies.

Finally some guerilla marketing efforts on BGG as well as funding a product through Kickstarter will allow word of Dragon Dice™ to reach more ears than it otherwise would.
digitalsith
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of kickstarter! I see tons of RPGs going that route, a lot of them are pretty good too. Thats a great idea! Mr. Green
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstarter could be a great idea. I would imagine one of the difficulties, though, would be generally you're looking for funding to make something happen that isn't already happneing. So assuming we're getting Dwarf/Goblin kickers and Battle Chest already, all this may leave room for is kickstarting maybe CE/LE kickers? Unless if there are ideas for something entirely new in DD to be kickstarted? I'm not sure how flexible Kickstarting could be for what we would/could use it for. But it would be a good (low risk) exposure tool.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah from what i hear you have to have a new idea or goal in mind. Apparently this worked decently with web comics as far as printing them out. Would be interesting to see if something came of it using that tool.
Drachenwürfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance we get to know what the new products are?
Without April Jokes i mean?
Emeroth
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening.

I'm somewhat new to the game (I owned had a bag of random dice more than a decade ago, but never had anyone to play with.) and have just purchased a benjamin's worth of starters and kickers from a comic shop online.

While researching the game and deciding whether or not I would like to invest some time into playing it, and deciding whether or not to spend time trying to convince a friend to join, I found a youtube video that someone had taken at what appears to be a Dragon Dice™ demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R2SmKxHfH0

The video helped me see how easy the game was to pick up and helped me better understand the rules. I think more videos from your reps and from veteran players would help people understand the game and make it more accessible. A dedicated SFR Dragon Dice™ channel on youtube or vimeo can do way more than a glossy a rulebook could ever do. It could also act as free advertising if people stumble into the video while searching for a different type of dragon video.

I can't express how happy I was to find out that this game was not out of print. It's amazing that a group of dedicated individuals have sacrificed so much to keep it alive. Thanks for all that you do!

Edited for clarity and grammar issues.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone still reading this thread, there is a new thread to discuss the releases.

As for youtube... I would love to have something new and official around this. The problem as with all things is time. time to script and time to record and time to edit.
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
For anyone still reading this thread, there is a new thread to discuss the releases.

As for youtube... I would love to have something new and official around this. The problem as with all things is time. time to script and time to record and time to edit.

yes, and that's because you are part of the staff. Of course nothing less than what you say is to be expected from an official video.

But look at the video Emeroth has linked: here we have an enthusiast player showing the game to one of his friends. His friend looks puzzled and not much "catched" from the game. The video quality is quite low, and all in all is just a guy showing some mechanics of a dice game.

Yet, from the perspective of a wanna-be player, one person who have never seen Dragon Dice™ except for some images found via google, it's the best video out there. It goes in the right direction in many ways.
That is: you can see how large the dice are, the deployment of the armies, some mechanisms, a "battle", all things that turns up one's interest.

I know it because a wanna-be player is what I am, and I've searched for videos several times, in the past years.

DD is a game that requires a bit of a commitment (money wise) and the more the people can find out about it, the better. And in this age, video is the most suiting media.

So, in the end, I'm talking to all the people here, _especially_ the "simple" players (and I've already expressed something in this regard in the past) take out your phone during the next match, and shoot up a video.
Then load it up on youtube and that's it.

We - the noob army - don't necessarily need professional video editing or a step-by-step tutorial, a video showing the game flow will show us how the game is played and will turn up our interest in the game itself. Try to wear the hat (if this makes sense, LOL) of a not-yet-player and you'll see that everything in this sense will be helpful for us.

Again: show us your 30 seconds incredibly luck attack, or a full game, or the setup, or how your all common army crushed the enemy ultra-rares-only one, or... just your midnight game in a more drunk than necessary night. We will enjoy them all, and the hype for the game will grow. No money investment is required, it won't hurt. (but I'm confident it WILL help).

I used to play MTG once, I still have some cards and a couple of non-competitive decks. Still, from time to time I go looking for video of some matches. And I enjoy them, and each time the magic itch starts to grow. The same can happen for DD for those out there that used to play the game in late nineties or for those who are just curious...

ciao,
Danilo

(waiting for new videos!)
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Danilo in encouraging players to record and upload videos of games or tutorials. I'm wishing I had a good camera and an opponent to play with, but maybe I can try doing something along these lines in a solo-game. I finally got a new (and working) phone, so maybe if I'm lucky it'll even have enough video quality to not be a terrible video. Smile
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:
I agree with Danilo in encouraging players to record and upload videos of games or tutorials. I'm wishing I had a good camera and an opponent to play with, but maybe I can try doing something along these lines in a solo-game. I finally got a new (and working) phone, so maybe if I'm lucky it'll even have enough video quality to not be a terrible video. Smile

cool... that was a fast reply Wink

go on and record whatever you are able to get, the worst it can happen is that your video will be ignored. I for one am looking forward for it[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: