SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zon/SS packs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Zon/SS packs Reply with quote

How are things going for those starters? Tons left or they moving along?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

They move faster everytime someone buys one. Wink
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to buy some soon been wanting some Swamp Stalkers.
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

When SS come in kicker pack form, I'll be buying SO many of those. I've got almost a complete set of Amazons, minus a couple of dice, but I have very very few SS.

I just don't know anyone looking to collect Amazons, so I have nobody to split the starter with.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy I know how ya feel there. I have no interest in the amazons (at the moment anyway) . But the Swamp Stalkers seem like a cool race to play . But if i buy the kickers i will at least have one of every race save for Scalders. So i may order a kicker or two of those haha.
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of people that want Swamp Stalkers but not Amazons. If the Amazons weren't attached to them, I'd probably buy a case of the the swampy buggers with my next purchase. With them combined I'm not so sure though (if any Dutch or German player is interested in a case of Amazons... ).

F
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still collecting bits of everything. Very Happy

My main worry as everything has been moving to kickers is how it'll affect starters for new players. I feel like the base 4 races were the easiest to get introduced into the game with, which will soon only be available in kicker form. I'm curious about the long-term plans for starter packs in general.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormywaters wrote:
When SS come in kicker pack form,
once upon a time they did and its possible that once upon a time they will again, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I can't hold mine for more than 45 seconds these days...
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:
My main worry as everything has been moving to kickers is how it'll affect starters for new players. I feel like the base 4 races were the easiest to get introduced into the game with, which will soon only be available in kicker form. I'm curious about the long-term plans for starter packs in general.
Unless we really start selling a lot, at the current rate, we have 3-4 years before we have to worry about new starters. The major reason we have gone with kickers in the first 4 races is to be able to introduce the "missing" fifth monsters. At some point Amazons will also be in a kicker with it's missing fifth monster. Do not ask me about the Amazon monster, I'm not saying anything more about it.

At this point, we don't have any plans to change how starters are made. But 3+ years is long enough that those plans are a bit meaningless. At the same time it's clear that for the game to be sold, we have to have something that someone can buy and 2 (or more) people can sit down and start playing. The old TSR starters were bad that way, you would buy one, and then couldn't play until someone else (or you) bought another one.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess to rephrase Dolus' statement as might be asked by me: How are new people gonna sit down and play with new packs in those 3 years? Do they each need to buy a battlegrounds, 1 kicker and trade for dragons? Or just use Zons/SS?
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skawilly wrote:
I guess to rephrase Dolus' statement as might be asked by me: How are new people gonna sit down and play with new packs in those 3 years? Do they each need to buy a battlegrounds, 1 kicker and trade for dragons? Or just use Zons/SS?

Sounds like they get to use Zons/SS and Undead/Feral.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skawilly wrote:
To answer your questions in order asked:

We will still have 2-player starters. The format of those will not change because they are already made and in stock. We have 3-4 years of stock. Kickers are always something you buy to expand the game and to be able to play with different races. They are optional. Starters will always be self-contained, you buy one and sit down and play.

No. They will simply need to buy a two-player starter and play

No. We will have both Amazon/Swamp Stalker and Undead/Feral for some time. Right now we have roughly equal numbers of Amazon/Swamp Stalker starters and Undead/Feral starters.

I'm not talking about what will happen in 3-4 years from now, simply because I don't know. We will have some kind of 2-player starter. Will it be the same as the one now? I don't know. Will it have the same races? I don't know. Ask me in 3-4 years, and I'll be able to answer.

So there is really nothing else that SFR can say about our starters right now.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).

Last edited by chuckpint on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the bottom line answer. There are 3+ years left for the Zon/SS and Feral/UD remaining. (Roughly ~2 years of both) and those will be the current 'starters'.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always interested in the players perspective.

The final decision is a few years away and by then you will have forgotten I asked and just think that I read your mind...

So, what would be some of your ideas for the future of DragonDice Starters?

I have some ideas of my own, but will refrain from slanting the discussion just yet...
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, what would be some of your ideas for the future of DragonDice Starters?

I did post some race combos in a private thread.. which I could mention.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Rayborn wrote:

I did post some race combos in a private thread.. which I could mention.

Since this is just brainstorming and isn't constrained by business logic go ahead, but I'd like other ideas besides just new racial pairings.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Scalder/Firewalkers:

This would be a fire starter.

Treefolk/Frostwings:

Here you get all the color except fire.

A nice hold down the fort combo.
treefolk keep the ground with double manuevers.
frostwing's anti magic and fly icons help hold the fort.

just ideas.

Although treefolk and firewalkers kickers are available,
this might be used at conventions with just polybags as a test.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since this is just brainstorming and isn't constrained by business logic go ahead, but I'd like other ideas besides just new racial pairings.

Alright I have one for you. If you were to back to the ways of single player starters i would suggest using the Eldarim. Make sure each starter is just one color.

Call them Army of Fire, Earth, Water, Wind, or Death.

Break down could look like this:

2 Terrains

1 Dragon (Same Color or Ivory)

1 Champion Eldarim (eg. Dragon Master of the same color)

2 Eldarim Rares

4 Eldarim Uncommons

6 Eldarim Commons

Again all of the same single color. This way new players just have to deal with one color for spells. Include a quick start up guide and a card or sheet that says something about expanding with kickers.

Thats my two cents

Very Happy
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of Eldarim as starters. It's interesting. And a good point in making the players deal with only one color at a time.

I see from your proposal you're giving players 24 health of units, so players would need 2 packs to play a game. As long as the starters are clear that it's a starter for one player and not for two, I like the idea of making starters that way.

When players are starting the game, they want a starter where they can buy the game and just play. This option is bad in that they need to buy two starters to have a stand-alone game, but the upside is (whether we use eldarim or races) that the players can choose which two starters they want to pair, instead of being forced into a pairing if they only want one.

A major benefit I see is that as players play more, they're more likely to buy more starters because they can focus on one race. If I want amazons but no swamp stalkers, I can buy my amazon starter with terrain and dragons, and not get stuck paying for the swamp stalkers I don't want.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right i realize that it forces the players to buy two to start playing which I am not a fan of but if the starters cost less than the current ones it may not be too much of a problem.

I like the idea of buying two different colors and making them face off.

This is akin to the Portal Decks released by MTG Many years ago. The decks were small mono color and had bold face print on them. It was geared to get folks interested in playing magic and make it simple to understand. Eventually they did start selling them in duo packs i think so two players could duke it out .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> SFR Operations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: