SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about making an online version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean db schemas, I'd better see it before. It's likely good enough, but you never know.

If you mean use your existing mysql db, I prefer having my own db, because it can be on my computer for test, then duplicated here once it's ready, and because I don't intend to code every SAI right now, so there will be a lot of dice that should not be in the db at first.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you should have your own instance. I'm just trying to save you some typing.

PM me an email address and I'll send you a sql export, you can use it to create your own version and tweak it as you wish.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see an AI player integrated into the online game.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEEPBLUEB2 wrote:
I would like to see an AI player integrated into the online game.

At the very least, not before human vs human work. Even after that, I don't promise anything.

Even if an AI is done, it's likely it will be pretty dumb. To have a reasonably smart AI, you need significant theoritical work on the game, a lot of time, and a bit of experience in AI programming.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
I can easily export you a data dump from the online web browser one.

Thank for the dump. I have done an adapted schema for the project, with a conversion script to read data from your tables and populate with them the simulator's one. I incidentally add a number of thing, like dice color (but magic rolls by element ain't working yet), dice type (common/unco/rare/monster), and face icon image.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLazyhase wrote:
I incidentally add a number of thing, like dice color (but magic rolls by element ain't working yet), dice type (common/unco/rare/monster), and face icon image.

uhm... I'll have to go look at your code in GIT when I have time, but all of that was already in my dump.

There were twelve tables. One for just for Dice type, one was for the race, one was for the elements of that race. and many were for face/icon/image...
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:

uhm... I'll have to go look at your code in GIT when I have time, but all of that was already in my dump.

It's where I took them. What I wanted to say is : "now, my code can display thoses images". In other word, since thoses info were in the dymp, I added it to me code.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is now a working HTML form to create an army or edit one.

It's extremely ugly for now, and more importantly since there is no identification anybody can edit any army. But it's a start.

Now, I will fix the HTML so at the very least it fit in a 1920*1080 screen, and add some buttons to do tests rolls with thoses army.

I don't have a webserver that anybody can access, but once I will have found something, I will try to give an URL to test out.

(note to chuckpint and cliffwigs : the beta is still underwhelming enough to not be worth the bother to put on your server)
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:08 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of places you should be able to get a small amount of free hosting.

as for images... eventually we will want to move them off our server and onto yours, but that can wait for a while.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put a GPL licence on the code. It's mainly to ensure my current employer won't believe that I am a contractor.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I didn't have too much time t advance, the web interface did advance a bit.

I was able to get on my screen appear a roll against a dragon attack from an army of 2206 magi and 1485 frost ogre. I got 2048 cantrip, 1633 ID, 1028 melee, 1954 missiles, and 2844 saves. Given that they may very well be 1000 dragons against them, they may be significants losses in the army. It needed less than one second for the result, so if people don't try to play armies of 10k points, it should not be too slow. Also, I am not sure there is even that many frost ogres and magi in circulation.

More seriously, I have serious interface problem - I.E. the army selection is near unuseable with the full array of dice and not just the frostwings, and the result presentation is awful and would look ugly even on myspace. (especially when you play with army way too large). I may have some hosting tomorrow, but that's not yet sure.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first prototype can be seen here :
http://82.227.12.65:8080/army/selection
You can create army and try some roll with them. Every results are show, and they are added to give relevant information (how many melee result, what SAI special effect happen).

The "hosting" is not definitive, so I hope it will be stable enough. There is no authentification, so you can see the army of every user in the selection screen. The army can be wiped without notice for now, so don't use it for forum game or keep a trace of the army elsewhere.

The interface should work even if it's really ugly ; one of the thing I want to do is add color : a different color for each race, and maybe also a different color for each kind of result. Using round border are also on the list. I am open to suggestion sine I am really not a designer at all.

The unit selection does not have dragonkin, Eldarim, or magic items yet. Other race should be here. SAI are not implemented for every unit ; they will appear on the roll but not taken into account in the summary. Some may be bugged and trigger at the wrong time.

Missile save roll and melee save rolls are different buttons because of counter and volley. The roll does not include magic yet, because color and race for result aren't coded yet.

My goal now will be to try to make the interface a bit prettier, then finish implementing every SAI, then adding every roll save magic, then implementing magic roll.

Edit : First bug : Counter does not count as melee result on melee roll.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the progress so far.

I've waited on mentioning this (if it hasn't come up already), but there's another implementation, dragondiceonline.com I think. I've never tried playing a game on there, and it usually fails to work for me. But as far as selecting units for the army, I like your implementation much better. It's easier to handle and loads faster.

Have you looked at SFR's army analyzer? http://sfr-inc.com/armyanalyzer.php I think their method of adding/creating an army is something I like even better. It's more of a table format and formatted according to rarity and class, so it takes up less space and it's easier to know what you want based on where the unit is located in the table. Just something to consider.

I really like how you have a field to type in how many of the unit I want. It's frustrating on the army analyzer clicking on a unit, waiting for it to load, clicking the '+' sign, waiting for it to load, etc.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:
It's frustrating on the army analyzer clicking on a unit, waiting for it to load, clicking the '+' sign, waiting for it to load, etc.

yeah, I know. I don't like it either, but this is low on my priority list of things to do.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:

Have you looked at SFR's army analyzer? http://sfr-inc.com/armyanalyzer.php I think their method of adding/creating an army is something I like even better. It's more of a table format and formatted according to rarity and class, so it takes up less space and it's easier to know what you want based on where the unit is located in the table. Just something to consider.

I must admit, I was under the belief that it was not working at all and didn't even try Embarassed The flipside I see to that way of showing dice is that the name is not shown, and I don't easily identify dice by icon. But there is surely something to do ; at the very least, ordering dice by category (infantry/cavalry/magic/monster/...) would help.

By the way, the current size of the unit box is to show the entire name of Eldarim unit, which are very long since the race and the color are added to the name. I may add a short name to help with that.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
Dolus wrote:
It's frustrating on the army analyzer clicking on a unit, waiting for it to load, clicking the '+' sign, waiting for it to load, etc.

yeah, I know. I don't like it either, but this is low on my priority list of things to do.

I know. I'm just saying what I like and don't like about it for the benefit of TLH in what he's working on.

TLH,
Good point bringing up the unit name. That is a nice addition you have as well that I really like.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

not saying which way is better or trying to defend one way over the other, but I've found that for myself I don't care about what the unit is named as much as what it does.

i.e. race, type, rank.

now, I do know ... 95+% of the dice in the game by name. But for those few races where I don't. I know the type and rank tell me all I need to know. so I would think that would be more meaningful as well.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find rank and type more useful to myself as well. I usually don't care about their names, but having the names there could help me in learning the names, which would be a good thing/benefit.
TheLazyhase
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some quick test with bicolor background, but text on such a background is not readable enough

I am working on a tooltip that will appear when hovering over a dice.

The prototype tooltip is here :
http://82.227.12.65:8080/unit/159
(a monster)

http://82.227.12.65:8080/unit/90
(a regular unit)

The line of the unit is not shown, because I haven't implemented it yet, and also because it make the tooltip more bulky.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but having the names there could help me in learning the names, which would be a good thing/benefit.

For years I've thought a neat 'game' on the website would be a multiple guess game where I show you icons and ask the name or names and ask to pick the icon.

I've also considered showing two or three sides of a die (non-ID) and asking you to pick the die). This is an important skill when watching ebay auctions. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can identify a die from only two of its faces when its in a pile of loose dice. I used to get a lot of rare dice cheaply that way.

TheLazyhase wrote:

I am working on a tooltip that will appear when hovering over a dice.

just fyi the army analyzer has that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: