SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daemon Diceâ„¢ Rules 0.9b

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:15 am GMT    Post subject: Daemon Diceâ„¢ Rules 0.9b Reply with quote

The starter rules should be close enough to finalize. I think the expansion is too other than flavor text.

The wording for the 'every 13' is a little awkward, but its under the daemons of unusual size topic.

http://www.sfr-inc.com/DaemonDiceStarter_0.9b.pdf
http://www.sfr-inc.com/DaemonDiceBoosters_0.9b.pdf
http://www.sfr-inc.com/DaemonDiceExpansion_0.9b.pdf

The only item that I'm still uncomfortable with is the Wraith. It seems underpowered and I think that only a playtest will prove to me otherwise.

note: I did not do an end to end reading of these yet because my allergies and sinuses are making it hard to think. A huge thunder storm came through last night and its still storming.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
I guess we also need to put in a rule about half breed for even number daemons.

Perhaps require a plurality majority? So 13 frost and 13 rot would be a mongrel, but 14 frost and 12 rot would be a half-breed frost. Just another thought to add to the "declare at the beginning." Being able to have the option of two daemon half-breeds after seeing the opposing daemon can be a powerful option.

EDIT: I meant majority, not plurality. Basically requiring more than half, not at least half.
dutchjohn
common

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

then there still is that small portion of ivory dice with colored ink.

Are they going to be special? or are they going to be brought under the other breeds?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchjohn wrote:
then there still is that small portion of ivory dice with colored ink.

Are they going to be special? or are they going to be brought under the other breeds?

Chuck said it best:

chuckpint wrote:
For the old game Chaos Progenitus and Demon Dice, there are also 8 breeds called "Noble Houses". We have no plans to release those dice. So don't even ask. Evil or Very Mad

While the dice are the same, this is a re-imaging of the game in every other way and the ivory dice are not part of it. lets get the other 15 boxes released first and see how it goes.
dutchjohn
common

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't read that post. sorry bout that but then again I didn't remember the name "noble house" I'm sorry if I even flared a bit of anger Crying or Very sad
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchjohn wrote:
Didn't read that post. sorry bout that but then again I didn't remember the name "noble house" I'm sorry if I even flared a bit of anger Crying or Very sad
you didn't. I'm not angry and Chuck's not angry (about this at least Mr. Green )
dutchjohn
common

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

a question on not winning:

during the roll it's clear if you can't roll you lose (hence you do not win Smile )
there is also the instance where you are able to lose during the defend step.

You obviously see you lost but why not leave the win\lose step in the roll.

You do not have to attack I read somewhere so in a rare occasion you might be able to survive your opponents next attack. your last part is kept by a tentacle, which is your attackers last part ,he has to let you go to roll. He rolls a plus, you still have a chance!

It isn't to clear in my mind it's just a nagging feeling that I can lose during a defend action where I just rolled to be able to defend. off course if all of your dice are wounded and stunned it's over you know that, but let's have 1 moment where you have the lose determination. And I know this is rare. So rare in fact that chances are close to 0. But then again if statistics point out that the chance is 0 it still might happen.

am I making any sense?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and will think about it, but in general I'm happy with it this way.

If I can't roll because my tentacle is subduing you, then thats not a lose for me.

If we were wrestling, then I would be too busy pinning you to actually do anything else. that doesn't mean I lose, it means you do.
dutchjohn
common

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in no way bashing the rules. I want to clear stuff up for myself.

ah yes but you pinning me causes you to not be able to roll in your turn and then "If you can't roll at least one body part your daemon loses the battle immediately" So not being able to roll is also being stubborn in this situation.

Off course you are right if you hold me down you win but not with this rule setting. So the rolling does not apply to the tentacle in that logic

12 tentacles and a plus wil have 1 of my dice free I roll 1 die it's a minus

you'll have to let go at least 1 tentacle to roll.

It doesn't sit right with me that's all I wanted to say. but discussing this makes it more clear to me. I feel you will soon come with an answer that will make it easy for me to adapt. thanks for your time.
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its fairly straightforward in the rules..If you cant (or refuse to) roll a body part during your turn..you lose. If your last body part is a tentacle that is engaged, the you either roll it (thereby releasing its target) , or lose. Pretty straightforward imho.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggsaladsandwich wrote:
I think its fairly straightforward in the rules..If you cant (or refuse to) roll a body part during your turn..you lose. If your last body part is a tentacle that is engaged, the you either roll it (thereby releasing its target) , or lose. Pretty straightforward imho.

He is complaining about an extreme edge case where we both have one body part left.

Your tentacle is grabbing my last body part and its the end of my turn.

The complaint is that I shouldn't lose at the end of my turn because at the beginning of your turn a microsecond later you will have to release me to be able to roll...

The 2nd loss condition was put into place, because the majority of the time when you are going to loose you know it a full turn prior to actually losing and in a multi-player game you have 'lost' at the end of your turn, but you don't actually 'lose' until someone targets you again.

With all body parts this situation can only come up if you are playing all tentacle or if the tentacle player successfully landed a poison attack on a previous turn (I leave it as a student exercise to work out the proof for that). With the introduction of items, this situation because more common...

Under the rules to previous incarnations of this game system, this situation would've been resolved differently. At this point I'm inclined to leave it as it is... I think it would weaken the tentacle and make multi-player games more complicated to change it the other way.
dutchjohn
common

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:

He is complaining about an extreme edge case where we both have one body part left.

Well that's where my place is. But rather then complaining about the zero chance edge variables etc. etc. I was actually trying to make a point for loosing at only one step in the rules. The question triggered by the interview on BYAG.

Let's close this topic. Since I am not making a point of this.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original rules had only one check in the turn. It was during the demo's at Pax that we realized it was a better solution (in general) to add a second one.
dutchjohn
common

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

good explanation if it's better for the game. All I needed actually. off course I came up with the boundaries (boundary testing) because that was the sore spot. explanation is good enough.

speeds up play
doesn't get the players unneeded stress because they all ready were defeated.

thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: