SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Primer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Primer? Reply with quote

Have you guys thought about writing a primer for this game (and DD as well)? Just a brief overview couple of sentences that explains the overarching goal of the game, then a little section about the types of dice, or colors, or whatever they are?

I'm really interested in checking this out, but I don't want to parse a rulebook just to get a rough idea of what the game is about or what it's like. It's something I've seen for many other games, and I thought it'd be a nice way to introduce players.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that they press release would cover what you want and it hasn't been authored just yet.

The first two or three paragraphs of the rulebook would cover some of what you want...
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this...

In the halls of Hell, the daemon lords settle their differences like gentlemen. Which is to say, they send their minions to do battle for them, with the victor winning it's master's case. The most powerful lords keep stables with hundreds of fiendish minions, monsters bred or just stitched together for nothing but combat. It isn't uncommon for these monsters' masters to invent a quarrel, just to see their minions fight!

Daemon Diceā„¢ is a game of individual combat between daemon gladiators; monsters of every shape and daemonish breed. Each player assembles a daemon from dice representing thirteen various body parts. These monsters are then pitted against each other in battle.

Play is a turn based system where each daemon rolls their dice to determine what actions each die takes that turn. in each turn a daemon will recover stunned dice, defend against attacks, suffer damage, array their own attacks. A daemon loses by having all their parts subdued (wounded, stunned, grabbed, etc). A daemon wins by being the last one standing.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! That sounds really awesome, and now I'm ready to buy. When will a starter be available?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are shooting for a Gencon release.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
We are shooting for a Gencon release.

Will preorders be available? Any actual dice pictures available, not CGI? What will a "starter" include?

Sorry, lots of questions. I'm super excited!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we get closer we might put them up on our online store, but they won't ship until after Gencon.

The starter will be a combination of two breeds: Rot and Frost
It will contain 13 random Rot body parts and 13 random Frost body parts.

There are only 13 possible body parts and the rarity among them is flat. So if you do the math, you should get a singles set very quickly.

Future boosters will be additional breeds. All breeds have the same parts, but each has a different full breed power. These boosters will contain 13 random body parts of their breed.

Future expansions will be weapon,armour,item based. There will be 13 different items and each expansion will contain a random 13 of a particular breed (sticker on the front of the box).

So it'll be very easy to get what you want and only what you want (at least breed wise)
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I understand, each daemon is comprised of 13 body parts, and you say there are only 13 different parts. Does that mean all Frost heads are identical?

Is there a limit to how many of one body part you can have? Can I have a daemon with 5 wings, 4 heads, and 4 arms if I wanted?

Does the starter come with one of each body part, or is there a chance of getting, say, 9 Frost pincers in my pack, all identical?
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my word is not official, I believe I know the answers to these.

stormywaters wrote:
Just so I understand, each daemon is comprised of 13 body parts, and you say there are only 13 different parts. Does that mean all Frost heads are identical?

Each daemon breed is comprised of 13 different body parts. In fact, across all daemon breeds, there are only 13 different body parts. Head is not a body part. The body parts are arm, brain, eye, leg, lungs, mouth, pincer, shell, spike, stinger, tail, tentacle, and wings. So all frost arms are identical. The icons on frost arms and rot arms are identical as well. The only difference is the color of the die and the inking on the die to designate the breed. The breeds/coloring is only important for breed abilities and immunities.

stormywaters wrote:
Is there a limit to how many of one body part you can have? Can I have a daemon with 5 wings, 4 heads, and 4 arms if I wanted?

No limit. Yes you can. You can have a daemon with 13 mouths if you wanted.

stormywaters wrote:
Does the starter come with one of each body part, or is there a chance of getting, say, 9 Frost pincers in my pack, all identical?

The starter comes with 13 random frost dice and 13 random rot dice. So there is a chance of getting 9 frost pincers in your starter, yes. Unlikely, but yes.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as far as the actual body parts go, there are literally just 13 different dice, not counting color differences?
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormywaters wrote:
So as far as the actual body parts go, there are literally just 13 different dice, not counting color differences?

Correct.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. That's disappointing, especially since each die apparently only has three icons. Hmm.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormywaters wrote:
Bummer. That's disappointing, especially since each die apparently only has three icons. Hmm.

Honestly, I had the same reaction at first. 13 dice, each die is effectively a d3. What is there in this? But I decided to play a game (or two, or three) on the forums here with proxy dice to try it out, and it is still very interesting. Complexity-wise, it's simpler than Dragon Diceā„¢ and therefore feels like it will be easier to introduce to new player or to play pickup games here and there without needing to go too deep into daemon construction. And the game has proven pretty fun and even though there's only 13 dice, deciding which dice to use is incredibly difficult!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned complexity.

Dragon Diceā„¢ is Chess. It has its appeal to gamers and they love it.

Daemon Diceā„¢ is Checkers. It has an appeal to a different style of gamer. So our hope is to attract more gamers and not just sell to our existing player base. So it is less complex, its smaller in dice, its simpler to collect.

if those players go on to get into Dragondice, great! then this is a gateway game. Dragon Diceā„¢ is imposing to a lot of people and rather than just scare them off. They can either play this less complex game or it can ease them into the more complex one.

The normal progression is: Chess, Checkers, Tic-Tac-Toe. Three games to appeal to three different types of gamers.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't get me wrong, I'll collect the heck out of it. I was just hoping for a little more complexity. There is gear, too? Is that instead of one of your dice, or in addition to your normal 13?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:33 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently in the game there are:
13 different body parts
13 different items

As far as breeds, there will be 8 released. So there are 8 x (13 + 13) = 208 different dice in the set.

For the old game Chaos Progenitus and Demon Dice, there are also 8 breeds called "Noble Houses". We have no plans to release those dice. So don't even ask. Evil or Very Mad
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my question was unclear. I meant to ask "When building a daemon, do you choose 13 body parts plus some number of items, or do items replace some number of body parts?"
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the equipment/items dice replace body parts.

I saw that noble houses existed. What was the deal with those?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolus wrote:
I believe the equipment/items dice replace body parts.

I saw that noble houses existed. What was the deal with those?

chuckpint wrote:
For the old game Chaos Progenitus and Demon Dice, there are also 8 breeds called "Noble Houses". We have no plans to release those dice. So don't even ask. Evil or Very Mad

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the typical game has 13 dice, any combination of body parts and items you want.

However! the victory conditions are based on body parts. So you can have one arm holding 12 swords, but if that body part gets stunned or wounded or grabbed or minused or can't roll during your turn, then you lose.

So items are more powerful than body parts, but they don't keep you alive.

Its a balance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: