SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daemon Diceā„¢ Rules 1.0b
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:21 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
I'll go with the targeted player getting to pick. Not because the Rot ability is too powerful, but because it's more consistent that the targeted player gets to pick the targeted die. With the exception of Brain-guided attacks and Wings (which are clearly very special cases) everything else lets the targeted player pick.

I was just looking at Version: 1.0.0e_20130724 and noticed that the Rot ability has never been changed. Intentional or overlooked?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont speak for Chuck, but personally I like it the way it is and it may have been left unchanged because of that.

It makes Rot more useful for that player to choose. It also means that during the last step of the turn, the 'attacking' player makes all the decisions and the targeting flows one way. You don't have to stop and say 'you pick one'.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally overlooked.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
live4redline
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this in my other post but here's some things i had issues with from my stand point as a completely new player opening my starter box and learning the rules. I know how well a new perspective can be helpful so i figured i would throw out my opinions and you guys could do with them as you will.

Firstly this threw me off a bit:

Quote:
QU:
live4redline wrote:
It was also a little tricky to make the separation between an ATTACK and DAMAGE which is still a little unclear with the wording from TAIL compared to LEG wherein the leg talks about "two stun attacks" and the tail says "a attack that causes two damage). If I'm understanding it correctly, both stun damages from a LEG attack can be fully blocked with one BLOCK or does it require two BLOCKS and the TAIL only requires one?

RE:
piMaster wrote:
I believe the rules included in the initial starters are a bit out of date, and more changes are being considered.
Tail and Leg both generate a two stun attack. The Leg can be stopped with a Block, Deflect, or Shell. A Tail, however, can be stopped with a Deflect, Dodge, or Shell. In either case you only need one (unless it was boosted).

Quote:
Leg: This attack deals two stun damage.

• If the wording was changed to match that of TAIL, I think it would read a little better to new players as its a little hard to understand if i need to defend the two attacks or simply receive the two damage from the one attack.

That was the big one that threw me off but at the same time I could make a few other suggestions as well and it won't hurt my feelings if you don't like the suggestions. There just another opinion from a similar perspective that I've grown to expect from chuck where wording it everything.

Quote:
Pincer: This attack deals one wound damage.

• Like my suggested change to LEG and the current wording for TAIL, the difference from ATTACK and DAMAGE needs to be made and uniformed wording makes it all easier to understand.

Quote:
Stun sends a victim's body part out of play until recovered. Each stun is a separate attack that deals one stun damage. Pluses can boost a stun attack making it harder to defend. Note: You cannot stun an already stunned or wounded die.

Quote:
Wound sends a victim's body part out of play and cannot be recovered at this time. Each wound is a separate attack that deals one wound damage. Pluses can boost a wound attack making it harder to defend. Note: You cannot wound an already stunned or wounded die.

• More clarification but at the same time the extra wording may add new lines to the overall length of the sheet so it may or may not fit within the required space.

This final suggestion may not be needed but it was rather confusing in my first game of Daemon Diceā„¢ and some added text would have made it much more clear.

Quote:
3. Defend a. Apply Defenses: Match your defenses (and any boosting pluses) against any attacks arrayed against you. You and your foe now each set aside these spent defenses and defended attacks to the left. (There may not be anything to defend against if you won the initiative.)

• Its more text to add in a tight area that really you only need to read once to understand its meaning, but it would have made a huge difference to the learning curve of my first couple games. It really sets the mood that your attacks are SET UP at the end of your turn for the next player to defend during his. This was something the wife and I had a hard time grasping as an attack normally requires an immediate defense in Dragon Diceā„¢ and just about every other game I've played. Once this concept caught on, the game started to make a lot more since and started to become a lot of fun.

cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

live4redline wrote:
It really sets the mood that your attacks are SET UP at the end of your turn for the next player to defend during his. This was something the wife and I had a hard time grasping as an attack normally requires an immediate defense in Dragon Diceā„¢™ and just about every other game I've played. Once this concept caught on, the game started to make a lot more since and started to become a lot of fun.
[/list]

That is not the only time you won't have anything to defend against, but rather than add a sentence that only needs to be read once. Why not just call out the highlighted portion somewhere else in the rules?

As for your other comments, Some of the previous versions of these rules were much worse in different ways. But those are good tweaks for understanding.

Especially (and this is something I didn't originally consider) we have some players who will be putting this through an online translator and some of the phrasings are not going to survive translation.
Gib Resahp
dragonfoal

germany.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there its nice to see, that there is a revival of my beloved CP/DD game.
I have just started to get my demons back to life to welcome the just ordered starter of Daemon Diceā„¢. Well haven't read the rules and all the posting in this forum yet, but as an very experienced CP/DD player i hope to add a different opinion soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: