SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tournament Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we need to determine before GenCon: Tournament rules. I have some thoughts:
  1. We have to have time limits. In Dragon Diceâ„¢ we use 45 minute slots with just one game in that time. I'm thinking we still go with 45 minutes, but make it 3 games in that time. If you don't finish a game, it's counted as a tie.
  2. Nearly dead rule. If you have more than 9 dice stunned or wounded (out of 13), you have lost. We could either use this to speed up games, or as a tie-breaker.
  3. Use 2-player Swiss tournament style for all Daemon Diceâ„¢ tournaments.

Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:25 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
One thing we need to determine before GenCon: Tournament rules. I have some thoughts:
  1. We have to have time limits. In Dragon Diceâ„¢™ we use 45 minute slots with just one game in that time. I'm thinking we still go with 45 minutes, but make it 3 games in that time. If you don't finish a game, it's counted as a tie.
  2. Nearly dead rule. If you have more than 9 dice stunned or wounded (out of 13), you have lost. We could either use this to speed up games, or as a tie-breaker.
  3. Use 2-player Swiss tournament style for all Daemon Diceâ„¢™ tournaments.

I had some of these details in my mind, but yes we should share before the con if we can.

You open a starter with 26 dice in it, you pick 13 of them and stick with that 13 for the entire tournament. Remind them there are no mongrels.

I agree, two player swiss and each round is 2 of 3. I think 45 minutes if more than enough for three games. We need to make a matrix of how many points are given for each result if we do anything more complicated than just lose win tie; like doing a 5 point system or something.

I don't mind a 'nearly dead' rule, but should it be calculated differently. maybe based on a comparison to your opponent? i.e. I have 9 more 'active' than you. i.e. if I have 5 left and you have 6 left, I shouldn't automatically lose due to an arbitrary number. I'd almost want to do a certain number of rolls with no damage on either side to force a timeout. i.e. try to identify a stalemate, like if we both have nothing but shells left.

Think about it more after the current crisis is over.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few different decisions to finalize. The standard floor rules should answer most situations.

1)When time is called, some players will be mid-game. If the dice have hit the table, then finish that turn. Then there are a few options here.

1a)Just call it a tie, we don't care how lopsided it was.
1b)Use a 'nearly dead' evaluation to resolve into a win/loss, no ties exist.
1c)Use other determination to resolve into a win/tie/loss (like most wounded, least wounded+stunned, etc.)
1c)Use other determination to resolve into a win/tiewin/tie/tieloss/loss (like most wounded, least wounded+stunned, etc.)

2) How to score a round. All of these options have to be independent of how many games you actually played.
2a) 2 tier system, 0 for a loss, 1 for a win.
2b) 3 tier system, 0 for a loss, 1 for a tie, 2 for a win.
2c) 5 tier system, 0 for a loss, 1 for a tieloss, 2 for a tie, 3 for a tiewin,4 for a win

3) A list of scenarios and how to categorize them. This list can't be finished until the first two questions are finalized. There are too many options.
3a)Still playing first game
- Score via tie breaker above (either 2,3 or 5 tier)
3b)Finished one game, still playing second
- Calculate the tie breaker and compare the results of two games. Can map to either 2,3 or 5 tier.
3c)Finished two games, still playing third
-Calculate the tie breaker and compare the results of three games Can map to either 2,3 or 5 tier.
3d)Finished three games
-Should be no questions, a winner and a loser.

Let me sleep on my opinions of these and I'll post them tomorrow.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent all day writing this. I'm too tired to proof read it tonight...

am I trying too hard?

Ok, after sleeping on it here is my suggestion for DaemonDice Sealed Starter Tournament Rules atleast how we will be playing at Gencon this year.

Each player gets a random starter which will contain 26 dice. Each player has 10 minutes to pick 13 of those dice to play the entire tournament with. They will either be a purebred or halfbreed daemon(though there are no colors in common with Rot and Frost), no mongrels are possible.

Tournament style is head-to-head swiss.

The event is scheduled for 4 hours long(240 minutes).
5 minutes to register and hand out starters.
10 minutes to select dice while initial pairings are done.
5 rounds with a 40 timelimit and 5 minutes between rounds.

Within each round, the two players will attempt to play '2 out of three'. This is 13 minutes per game, which is be doable.

The round will be scored using a 5 tier system.

A 'Clear Win' is 4 points.
A 'Unclear Win' is 3 points.
A 'Tie' is 2 points.
A 'Unclear Loss' is 1 point.
A 'Clear Loss' is zero points.

An odd number of players has a 'bye' each round. The first 'bye' is random, all others will be based on the lowest score. no one will get more than one bye a tournament. A bye counts as a 'clear win'.

To keep the games moving along, there will be a stalemate rule. If no dice are stunned,wounded,grabbed,released or recovered within four full turns. Then the game is considered 'timed out' and proceed to the Tie Breaker rules.

A 'Tie Breaker' uses the following logic:
Compare number of stunned plus wounded of the two players. The lower number wins the Tie Breaker. If this number is the same ,compare the number of wounded. The lower number wins the Tie Breaker. If this number is the same, compare the number of grabbed dice. The lower number wins the Tie Breaker. If this number is the same, the armies are tied. Deal with it.

If one player wins two games out of three,(no tie breakers), then one is a 'clear win' and one is a 'clear loss'. Anything else is either an unclear win,unclear loss or tie.

If the players have one win each(no tie breaker). Use tie breaker on the last game to determine unclear win,unclear loss or tie.

If one game is completed (no tie breaker) and the game or two is a tiebreaker, the completed game gives an unclear win.

If there are no completed games (only tie breakers), then a majority of Tie Breaker wins is an unclear win.

The only other option is a tie.

wheh, that was a mouthful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Daemon Dice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: