SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Pre-Release of new Starter Concept
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am GMT    Post subject: Pre-Pre-Release of new Starter Concept Reply with quote

I'm posting this for our forum readers and will be putting it onto other sources in a few days.

We started on the path for a new starter format about two years ago and this is one step closer. I just posted this new item in our online shopping cart:

http://www.sfr-inc.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=184

Quote:
Pre-Release: 2-Player Starter - Firewalker/Treefolk
$24.95

This is a Pre-Release of our new Starter Concept. As a Pre-release it is Dice Only! The price has been reduced to reflect this.

2-Player Starter Set- All the dice you need to begin your adventures! 66% more health than our previous starters! (30 health of each race)

Bring the flaming might of the Firewalkers and the sturdy power of the Treefolk to your battlefield.

The Starter Set has all two players need to begin their campaign: 28 six-sided unit dice, 4 ten-sided monster dice; 4 eight-sided terrain dice; 4 twelve-sided Dragon Dice™.

You can combine starter sets or add more dice from kicker packs to expand your armies.

You will notice the higher price. This is because of the increased number of dice in the package. Instead of getting 18 health per race, you are now getting 30 health and twice the number of dragons!

This is exactly the same health as two kicker packs. By shifting the starters to multiples of 15, you can more easily pickup the game and start playing with friends by getting two packs of any race and added terrains/dragons.

The eventual price of this will be closer to $29.95. This price is reduced because there is no box, no rules, nothing other than the dice. The Box art is designed, but starter rules/playmat/whatever else we can put in for $4 to $5 cost will be defined over the next few months.

Even with the higher price, this is still a discount over buying 4 kickers, a dragon pack, a terrain pack separately.

For now, this provides you a way to get into the game in an unofficial format. Feel free to order. Even though this is 'without box' the odds of Unicorns and Phoenix are unchanged.

The terrains and dragons will continue as before. One highland, one swampland, etc.. and 4 random basic dragons (with appropriate distribution of Ivory).

So tell your friends and order away! The more dice we sell, the more dice we can produce!

Last edited by cliffwiggs on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
Cat
dragonsteed

luxembourg.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nice sized format!

Was just having a conversation a few days ago with a new player about how you really needed at least 2 [old] Starter Sets to really get started.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the sound of this. The price is definitely very favorable too! Even with the increasing costs due to inflation over the years. What to do with box, playmats, rules, etc. will definitely be a difficult and very important decision, but I really like where this is going. Very Happy
paulvonscott
dragonmount

uk.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a very good idea. Enough for two players to play a game straight from the box. Perfect.

What I would say is that the current starter set rulebook is very intimidating to new players.

It would be better to split the rules up into a short rules booklet (with a treefolk and firewalkers reference dice and spell guide) and then an advanced rules/reference book, with all the expansion material and other race references in as well available online.

All the best
Paul
Midlam Miniatures
www.midlamminiatures.co.uk
Cat
dragonsteed

luxembourg.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly agree with Paul.

I'ld advocate for an introductory rulebook that includes info for all the basic races. Or split into 2 with a Basic Rules pamphlet and an Armies pamphlet.

In my experience, new players quickly grab whatever kicker packs appeal to them. But I haven't seen any new players in a rush to get any of the advanced dice, except for the Hybrid Dragons (and those because it is the only simple way to get Dragons that match their armies).

I think the Eldarim, Dragonkin, and other Expansion dice belong in a separate rule book.

Put Hybrid Dragons in the Basic Rules since new players go for those out of necessity (unless basic Dragons are made available separately).

Separately available Terrain and basic Dragons would be a good thing to roll out, if possible, with the new Starters. While the new Starters are a great value, players will still need at least 2 of them to get 2 terrains of each type; and at least 4 to have minimum trading-fodder to work towards the (4) 8th Faces of each type. And even with 4 Dragons in a pack, a player will still need a lucky pull to get Dragons that match their army colours
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul/Cat, you are very correct.

The longest part of this process is the rulebook. People love the dice, hate the rulebook.

So while we have some people locked in a dungeon working on 3.0 that won't be ready for these starters. So I've got a rulebook with just Treefolk and Firewalker, but its just so long. I'm trying to decide what needs to be explained in the box for your first game and what can wait a little bit until you DL the bigger book off the internet.

So it's a risk decision of what is self explanatory and what needs more verbiage. I'll get there eventually and share it around to some people for review before we print.
Arctorus
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really into this idea. I had one original Firewalker kicker from TSR days, and it's the one army I've wanted to expand. Really curious about the Treefolk, too!
Cat
dragonsteed

luxembourg.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear Cliff. And no, not an easy task — edit on to victory!
webchain
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:17 pm GMT    Post subject: When are these scheduled to be shipped? Reply with quote

When are the new starters scheduled to be shipped?

Thanks,

Craig
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not committing to a schedule right now.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
nosborm
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out about Dragon Dice™ and am interested in picking up this starter pack. However, when I follow the link I see that it is unavailable in the store and that all the other starters have been discontinued as well. Do you have any suggestions for what I need to buy in order to start playing the game?

Thanks!
-Michael
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for bringing that to our attention. I've corrected the problem and that link now works again.
nosborm
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, hopefully I can convince someone to get it for me for Christmas! I can't wait to start playing.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosborm wrote:
Excellent, hopefully I can convince someone to get it for me for Christmas! I can't wait to start playing.
At this point I'm not sure the USPS will guarantee a christmas delivery, but you can try!
nosborm
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good point. Thanks for catching that. I wouldn't mind getting it late, it's the thought that counts, right?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do order, send me a message. USPS might get it to you a bit quicker from Chicago than from Atlanta.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
nosborm
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the help! I finally got a chance to play and loved it Very Happy

I do have a question though, it seems like the best way to "flesh out" my current collection would be to buy another starter but I'm not sure what aspects are random. It's my understanding that I'd get one each of City/Temple/Tower/Standing Stones and those would be paired one each with Highland/Flatland/Swampland/Coastland, is that correct?

I am also under the assumption that the racial dice are basically just two kickers and will have the same breakdown (8 random common, 4 random uncommon, 2 rare, and 2 monsters) for each race?

I'm also a bit confused on how dragons work. Would I just get 4/5 of the single color dragons?

Thanks again for all the advice and I can't wait to expand my collection!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you love the game!

Let me explain the components both for this pre-release and for what I expect the final process to be.

There will be 4 terrains. One Highland, One swampland, etc... the 8th face will be random on each. If you got one of each this time, then it was just luck.

There will be 4 dragons. right now, I'm doing one red, one blue, etc.. The type (drake vs wyrm) is random. You wont get an ivory or black in the pre-release version. If the boxed version... It might just be 4 random dragons with a special rule to ignore the dragon color... not 100% sure yet.

You saw how the racial dice come in smaller polybags. those bags are what you would normally get in a kicker. we just put 4 kickers worth of dice in the starter.

So each of the smaller polybags has a random monster, a random rare, 2 random uncommon, 4 random commons. and you get two polybags of each race in the starter.

make sense?

OR you can try a new race by getting a different racial kicker.
nosborm
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's make perfect sense. Thanks so much for the cogent explanation! It's (basically) what I thought, I just got a bit lucky that I got a little bit of everything. For now this seems like the best way to get more basic terrain and dragons in addition to some kickers. I don't have my heart set on any one race yet so I figure I can try starting with these two before branching out. Always good to have two solid backup races to introduce my friends or to supplement my army.

EDIT: Also, I think I got a black dragon in my pack. Don't worry, I'm happy about this, I just wanted to let you know since above you said you might not be including them.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

nosborm wrote:

EDIT: Also, I think I got a black dragon in my pack. Don't worry, I'm happy about this, I just wanted to let you know since above you said you might not be including them.

oh, you got THAT ONE. Yeah there is a story there. It involves a lot of me being tired and lazy and staring at an empty drawer where sorted dragons are supposed to be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: