SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skype anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Looking for other players?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would a Dragon Dice™ game work on Skype?
Maybe for one on one, but nothing too big.
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
I accept your challenge! Let's figure this out.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
No, shut up.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Users Voted : 5
Total Votes : 5
This poll has expired.
Detailed Results

RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:23 am GMT    Post subject: Skype anyone? Reply with quote

It seems like Skype could be a great tool for two player games. Just putting it out there. If anyone wants to try it out with a novice player like myself then pm me or maybe this forum could just discuss if and how a game played on Skype would work.
Wait lemme see if I can get this poll thing to work...

It would overcome the pesky physical presence requirement, but I imagine having to constantly tilt my laptop screen. Maybe some keyboard covering apparatus with a mirror to provide multiple views. I'm actually not to familiar with Skype but it does have a group call feature.
Just an idea...
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking video Skype, then it would work much better with a separate webcam (preferably on a tripod). Not sure how the group call thing works with a video call, I've used it for one-on-one meetings and that's pretty good.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Ryan and I got our first Skype game in, and I loved it! I hadn't played against another experienced player since I went to PAX last year. It was a little challenging getting the lighting right, and there's still room for improvement, but overall it worked out well what we setup. It was a close matchup too. I went for an amazon army build, only to realize/remember that my amazon collection is really small, so half of my army was composed of monsters of other races.
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Setup Reply with quote

Very nice this seems very interesting. How did you get the camera and such to work? I guess all my devices have the camera integrated so it would be hard to points the desk/table. You use separate cameras?

Thanks
Ryan
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using a USB webcam and rested in on a tripod. I didn't have a way to mount it, so I just had it somewhat awkwardly resting on top at the appropriate height and angle. Razz

I'll have to play with it some more, but it might actually be easier to use the integrated webcam and use an external monitor for my own display. Though, there are several videos apparently for making mounts for phones (and other small devices) for $1. So there are definitely options.

One issue to continue working on is appropriate lighting. Too much and you get glare, too little and it's too dark.
RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked well enough for a 24 point game and we plan on testing a 36 point game next. All I had was my laptop camera and I left it pointed at the table. Dolus will have to confirm but the diagonal angle showed enough dice in the playing area. The drawback was that I had to lean way over the table in order to see the screen dice it was facing downward. I couldn't tell if the screen was to dark on Dolus's end, but I could have made it brighter.
Leaning to look at a slanted screen was rough so I'll try to pick up a cam. Dolus's cam was pointed a a more downward angle but I could see all his dice. The laptop cam was adequate though awkward. Great game tho. The lava elf undead combo is probably one of my best setups but we'll see what else I can come up with. PM me if anybody wants to set up another.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The angle you had was excellent. The lighting for the three armies was good, but anything outside of that was too dark too see. The size was small, so some things escaped the range of the webcam, but overall it was adequate.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Setup Reply with quote

Another successful Skype game! Very Happy This is really awesome. We can get multiple games finished in a night, roll our own dice, and play instantaneously. I like playing on the forums, but now I really feel like I'm using my dice!

The best part is, in the past when I've used my dice, it's almost always been the basic 4 races and demo armies at that. Now, I'm getting to realize how awesome my dice are play around with the races I'm not so familiar with. Smile

bluewizard wrote:
Very nice this seems very interesting. How did you get the camera and such to work? I guess all my devices have the camera integrated so it would be hard to points the desk/table. You use separate cameras?

Thanks
Ryan

Let us know if you'd like to give it a try as well. I'm sure between the two of us, we can find a time to play when you're available and we'll help you through getting everything working right. It hasn't been too difficult, as of yet.

This offer goes out to everybody who's interested, of course.

It would be a fun challenge to see how a 3-player game would work. It'll be best to get 2-player games going first, but Ryan and I were sharing how awesome it would be to try 3 player as well.
RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:49 am GMT    Post subject: Dolus Srtikes Back! Reply with quote

Another great evening of Dragon Dice™ on Skype! Seriously PM Dolus or I to set up a game on Skype.
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cross-posted this on BoardGameGeek and already have bites for 2 more games! My schedule is filling up quickly. I also tentatively have plans to meet in person with a local once-player wanting to relearn the game. We've been trying to get together for a few weeks now, so hopefully I meet another local!
RadRyan
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Great work Dolus! I'm not on board game geek so if it works out with the new "bites" can you give them my Skype info and have them add me?
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:45 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

RadRyan wrote:
Cool! Great work Dolus! I'm not on board game geek so if it works out with the new "bites" can you give them my Skype info and have them add me?

Will do. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Looking for other players? All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: