SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best starting army setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indrid Cold
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Best starting army setup Reply with quote

Watching tutorial videos online, I've noticed that many people seem to set up their armies with roughly half of their points in the home army, half in the horde army, and one lone guy in the frontier army.

I assumed that this is the "best" starting setup, but maybe it's not.

Is there a starting army setup that is generally considered ideal? Or does it really all depend on the terrain type/terrain numbers?
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

its mostly done in an attempt to gain first roll or terrain choice advantage, since the rules state that during set-up you can have no more than half your units at a terrain, and must have at least one unit at each terrain as well. this makes the setup an ideal tactical strategy if you want the choice of frontier terrain or the first attack.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your army. At Nationals this year, Jonathan Braun played a Frostwing missile army and wanted to control the frontier as part of his strategy. He conceded the horde roll, placing just one unit there, in order to choose the frontier and hopefully sweep off opposition for his archers. This isn't uncommon for missile armies. The way you deploy your forces is part of the strategic thinking of the game.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, in your example he still did the 15/14/1 split.

It is a min/max strategy that sometimes backfires on you. The idea is that one common minimizes your potential health loss at that terrain while you can maximize your damage and save capabilities at the other two terrains.

However, you are giving up early control of one terrain and it will take you two full turns to get a significant amount of units there. For example, you put one lone unit at my flatland home and my amazon runners there roll an initial 6. Because of the Amazon racial ability, you'd better RUN and keep them off that 8th face, but you will only get there just in time.

So I have seen people do more of a 10/10/10 split or maybe 15/7/8, but not very often. a larger army will usually defeat a smaller army, so people are scared to potentially have the smaller army.
syntaxerror111
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other consideration for the split is that you only get 2 marches per turn. If you evenly spread your army between 3 terrain you only get to act with 2/3 of your dice each turn.

Even if the game allowed one march for each army present, I imagine little would change because of the points made earlier. Has anyone tested playing with more than 2 marches per side (but never more than one per army)?
Indrid Cold
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about this subject because there seems little incentive to place an army in the frontier on the outset.

There is an incentive for the home army (you get to choose the terrain) and an incentive for the horde army (better odds on the horde roll at the beginning), but less of an incentive for a frontier army.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indrid Cold wrote:
I was curious about this subject because there seems little incentive to place an army in the frontier on the outset.

There is an incentive for the home army (you get to choose the terrain) and an incentive for the horde army (better odds on the horde roll at the beginning), but less of an incentive for a frontier army.

That is assuming you WANT to choose the terrain. Some aggressive builds prefer to go first and give up the terrain choice. Some people just don't care either way and prefer to go second. I've put a single common in my horde a lot.

In a multiplayer game, I've seen one common at homes a lot. people want the most option to place their armies and that is the one army that never has a choice.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
people want the most option to place their armies and that is the one army that never has a choice.

I don't understand what you are saying here.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoesan wrote:
cliffwiggs wrote:
people want the most option to place their armies and that is the one army that never has a choice.

I don't understand what you are saying here.

In a two player game, there are no choices on your army placement.
Home goes to your home.
Horde goes to the only other home terrain.
Campaign goes to the only other terrain in the game.

In a three player game,
Home goes to home (still no choice)
Horde can goto one of two terrains.
Campaign can go to one of two remaining terrains.

So you have more choices for the other two, but home army always has to goto that one terrain.

If you end up going last in a three player game, it can be helpful to make sure you are at a terrain where your army won't be killed before your first turn.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... Ok. Wasn't thinking about 3 or more players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Strategy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: