SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4th edition questions and findings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - 4.0 and Later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:59 pm GMT    Post subject: 4th edition questions and findings Reply with quote

Are racial abilities available in starter rules? It appears the answer is "no", as searching for "abilit" (discluding 'y') in the 2-player Starter rulebook finds only 1 instance in the Casting Spells section.

In general, how should one refer to the rulebook types? Starter, Core, Advanced? Something else?

As has been noted, typos exist. Are you interested in feedback regarding specific findings?

Significant improvement in readability. Bravo on less than 100 pages!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter rules are meant to be simple, so no racial abilities, all dragons breaths are just like the ivory breath, etc.

The types of rules are just as they are marked on our rules page: Starter Rules or Full Rules. See that page: http://www.dragondice.com/rules.php

Please make sure you have downloaded the very latest rules before posting corrections. We have been making a bunch of corrections as they have been pointed out (mostly on Facebook). In general, we will be making updates as needed, please point them out here, we will post when they are fixes. Please be specific as to where the error can be found and what the error is.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Tower advantage Reply with quote

Core rules show a tower-controlling army may target any enemy army, but starter rules may target only terrain-based enemy armies. Is this intentional?

Last edited by virtualflesh on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we wanted the starter rules to be simple. Introducing the concept of "non-ID" results was deemed too complex, so we left out being able to attack a reserve army.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Dragon attacks - Starter Rules Reply with quote

The dragon attack numbering sequence appears to be incorrect in the starter rules. Page 9, sequence is 1,2,3,4,6,5,5

Last edited by virtualflesh on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:00 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Eldarim Champions - missing icon? Reply with quote

The Save icon printed on Eldarim Champions appears to be missing form the core rulebook. Here is a Chuck Pint link to the image: http://www.chuckpint.com/images/eldarim_blackdragonhunter_save4.jpg
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 am GMT    Post subject: Potential spell findings Reply with quote

Water: Mire contains a double negative. Recommend instead "only Maneuver results included in march"

Earth: Scent of fear has a typo in the Race. "Goblin" should be "Goblins" (with an 's')

Earth: Wall of thorns has a typo in the Effect. "itā€™s" should be "its"

Some spells contain the cumulative bold numbers, but their effect indicates they are not able to be cumulative. Recommend the bold be removed.
Water: Tidal Wave
Water: Flash Flood
Earth: Wall of Thorns (maybe?)
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll get the typos fixed.

As far as the spells that you don't think are cumulative, I'd like to find out why you think that....
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
As far as the spells that you don't think are cumulative, I'd like to find out why you think that....

Water: Tidal Wave - spell says "A terrain may never be reduced by more than one step during a player's turn from the effects of Tidal Wave". I think what throws me here is the indication of "four" twice. I suppose if there are 2 (tidal waves) x 5 = 10, then each army takes 2 x 4 = 8 damage, and then the army must generate 2 x 4 = 8 maneuver results to avoid a -1 terrain step?

Water: Flash Flood - spell says "A terrain may never be reduced by more than one step during a player's turn from the effects of Flash Flood." Same thinking, if 2 (flash flood) x 4 = 8, then an opposing army must generate 2 x 6 = 12 maneuver results to avoid a -1 terrain step?

Earth: Wall of Thorns (maybe?) - spell says "Any army that successfully maneuvers that terrain takes six damage." and a maneuver of a terrain can occur once per player's turn, inferring six damage may occur a maximum of once. Reason I state maybe is if there are 2 Walls of Thorn cast on a terrain, then the army takes 2 x 6 = 12 damage, and so forth.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terrain movement is not cumulative, those three spells clearly state that. However, there is a cumulative effect for each spell:

Flash Flood: For each time this spell is cast (n), 6 x n maneuver results are needed to stop the terrain being turned down once.

Tidal Wave: For each time this spell is cast (n), each army at the terrain has to make a combination roll against 4 x n damage, and at least one army has to generate 6 x n maneuvers to stop the terrain being turned down once.

Wall of Thorns: For each time this spell is cast (n), if an army successfully maneuvers the terrain, that army must take 6 x n damage, that can only be avoided by generating melee results.
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed Mire so it's not a double negative.

Changed Scent of Fear: Race to Goblins

Did not change Wall of Thorns. The "its" there is the possessive which does not have an apostrophe. Only the contraction of "it is" has an apostrophe.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/its-or-it-s

Added a new line on the last page under the credits. There is a line called "Updated" which will have the last edit date in it.
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Did not change Wall of Thorns. The "its" there is the possessive which does not have an apostrophe. Only the contraction of "it is" has an apostrophe.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/its-or-it-s

Good, must have been fixed since 7/21, where it's clearly "it's".

Note, the FAQ has an "it's" where an "its" should be, in 9/30 v1.01.
- The response to question "When I control an 8th face, do I double ID results for all rolls?"
- Twice in Dragonkin damage: "When does a Dragonkin unit get itā€™s automatic save?", and in the response.
- Racial abilities: Coral Elves and Undead misuse "it's"
- Spells, Mire and Soiled Ground also misuse "it's"
- Minor terrain "Can I forfeit my maneuver to bring a minor terrain into play or retain itā€™s current..."
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:52 pm GMT    Post subject: SAI questions Reply with quote

Regenerate - to "bring back" means what? Recruit X health-worth? Can units be promoted? If X is 2 and I have only a medium (3-health) unit in my DUA, can I promote a 1 health-unit in my army to the 3-health unit from the DUA?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruit X-health from the DUA. You can recruit multi-health units. You may not promote.

This will be in the next FAQ.
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:11 am GMT    Post subject: Eldarim Champions Reply with quote

For Dragonmasters, hunters, and zealots, the core rules indicate the the SFR/TSR logo generates 2 results for "Any" roll besides the Dragon Attack, though at the top of the Champions section is indicated for All Champions, in an individual targeting effect, the SFR/TSR logo generates 4 Saves when only saving.

Do the 3 champions get 4 Saves during a Save in an individual targeting effect and 2 results for non-Save rolls in an individual targeting effect? Or, is the individual targeting effect not part of "Any"? Or, other?

Thanks!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If a specific SAI description conflicts with the general rules for SAIs, the specific SAI description takes
precedence.

Keep the quote above in mind when looking at SAIs. So if any Eldarim Champion is targeted with an effect that targets individual dice with a save result needed to negate the effect, and the logo comes up, that Eldarim generates 4 points of save. On all other rolls, the white Eldarim Champions' logo generates 2 points of ID.

So always use the specific if it applies, then go to the more general case. "Any" is as general as you can get.
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation, though the rules don't say anything about this:

chuckpint wrote:
On all other rolls, the white Eldarim Champions' logo generates 2 points of ID.

The non-white Eldarim Champions indicate the above for the SFR and TSR logo's, but the white's don't mention it...? I feel like I'm missing something. The Individual Targeting effect is clear, but the white Eldarim Champions say nothing about their behavior during "Any" type of roll, just Dragon Attack.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should have said "non-white".... Sorry!
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
That should have said "non-white".... Sorry!

Ok. Is there an effect for white Eldarim Champions? Or is the result null? There appears to be no general rule about the logo SAI for white Eldarim Champions - the general rule indicates "certain Eldarim Champions" which implies the general rule is to go look at the specific rule?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - 4.0 and Later All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: